Author Topic: Lighting Gun  (Read 11180 times)

Offline Spud Nick

• Salutes: 130
    • [✦✦45]
    • View Profile
Lighting Gun
« on: May 24, 2013, 02:45:11 pm »
Short range heavy weapon that does shatter and fire damage.

Offline Grogmiester

• Salutes: 0
    • [GT]
    • View Profile
    • GT Community
Re: Lighting Gun
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2013, 03:02:04 pm »
could be interesting however I think some more information would be required for me to make a judgement

Offline Bauldr

• Salutes: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2013, 08:06:56 pm »
A railgun comes to mind however, I do not think that this was the op's thought process. something like an arc gun? or a weaponized tesla coil?

Offline Moo

• Salutes: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2013, 11:02:55 pm »
I presume you mean "lightning" rather than "lighting". GoI had a tesla gun that basically fired lightning, but it wasn't short range. A version was planned for GoIO, I think, but dropped, maybe because there's no electricity.

Offline Spud Nick

• Salutes: 130
    • [✦✦45]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2013, 12:44:03 am »
It would be like a weaponized tesla coil that shoots out a bolt of lightning that would spider out. If would have a large spread and would be as accurate as a gatling gun with no ammo loaded.

http://fusedweb.pppl.gov/cpep/chart_pages/Graphics/Lightning-Albers-Small.jpg

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2013, 12:46:58 am »
A huge freakin Ballista with an electric cord attached...nuff said :D

Offline Sgt. Spoon

• Salutes: 112
    • [Keno]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2013, 09:44:02 am »
A version was planned for GoIO, I think, but dropped, maybe because there's no electricity.

yupp, have an old WIP render

Offline Khamael

• Salutes: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2013, 04:12:08 pm »
A huge freakin Ballista with an electric cord attached...nuff said :D

This sounds like a really good idea. There are too many ideas for close range weapons (like a tesla gun), but a ballista that shoots electrified bolts would have a longer range. It should probably do piercing damage, but I also like the idea of it being only effective against guns and engines, so I don't know.

Offline Sgt. Spoon

• Salutes: 112
    • [Keno]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2013, 05:15:46 pm »
Also something that was worked on. Can't say the stance on it atm, but I'm guessing it's not on some certain priority.
Electric Harpoon:

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2013, 06:00:23 pm »
~snip~

Interestingly enough, the harpoon is labelled as the "electric harpoon" in the part destroys log.

Offline Moo

• Salutes: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2013, 07:00:49 pm »
Interestingly enough, the harpoon is labelled as the "electric harpoon" in the part destroys log.

Yep... I guess the idea of the harpoon changed when they decided to avoid electricity, and so did the model, somewhat... The current harpoon model has some parts similar to that one, including the cables below the barrel.

Offline Khamael

• Salutes: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2013, 10:59:24 pm »
~snip~

I wasn't quite thinking of a harpoon. Have you seen the 2009 Sherlock Holmes with Robert Downey Jr. and Jude Law? In one scene, Holmes uses a device that seems to be a crank operated cattle prod. It's a forked metal bar with a wooden handle. He attaches the metal part to a hand powered generator, charges it, then can electrocute people. The gun could maybe fire similar javelins? The reload animation could show a steam powered generator charging them, and they would shoot independently, without requiring a cable.