Author Topic: Guns of Icarus: A Diesel Punk tale ( Rpg proposed rule system)  (Read 75518 times)

Offline Johny Cyanide

• Salutes: 1
    • [BDGR]
    • View Profile
Re: Guns of Icarus: A Diesel Punk tale ( Rpg proposed rule system)
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2013, 02:59:11 am »
alright sweet then. I would love to help with that. I've always been a fan of traits that provide not necessarily better but different tactics.

Offline Pickle

• Salutes: 42
    • [AeBr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2013, 05:35:57 am »
Interesting, been a while since I played PnP.. am I right in thinking you're proposing something fairly similar to the Cyberpunk/CP2020 ruleset?  If my memory is correct, you're so close to it in intent you might as well just adopt the existing rules.  I'll need to rummage in the lost to find the books, but it was always a very adaptable set of rules.

Offline Gabranth

• Salutes: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2013, 06:47:12 am »
Right now i need people to think up different traits that off the character unique powers, I could come up with a ton but I don't want it to be all my ideas.

Maybe...some basic things like Skinny , or small , that give melee malus but dex or speed bonus , or the otherway around , muscular gives Str  but less agility something like that.

Or maybe : Polite/Gentlemen
    Socializing +2 Subterfuge -1

Scientist/Nerd
 Mechanical Engineering , Research, Intelligence, Wisdom and Ancient technology +2
but frightend when in comes to battle and weak ,
 so like constitution strength , weapn fighting and athletics -2
 and Physical appeal ,Poise and  Eloquence -1       

I dont know , maybe not that many bonuses and minus points , but something in that direction

Or  Specialized
 Like +5 one one skill , but -1 at the rest , i dont know ^^

Funny would be Drug addicted *cough honeybadger cough* what was that clear liquid in the saloon anyways ?
   Ah Bonus on Physical and Social skills when under influence of the drug the player is addicted to ,
but if the drug isnt available , he gets minus points eeverywhere , and they get worse , the longer he has to suffer.
What drug and how to aquire it , can be decided later i guess :P

Offline Johny Cyanide

• [BDGR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2013, 11:31:16 am »
I got a couple more

Steam Musician: Through years of experience you have learn how to make the pipes sing. Your sweet music raises crew moral so any time you preform a successful mechanical check anyone on ship with you gets plus 1 on the next skill check they make.

Right 'O A true gentlemen is a god among men, and as such they should spread the knowledge of how to be a proper gent to the less fortunate. Once per day you can tell a party member to keep a stiff upper lip, and show them how to do a cracker-jack job by adding your poise modifier to there roll.

Offline Lord Dick Tim

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 119
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2013, 08:06:12 pm »
Link to the current google Doc, just so we have a clean page to look out without having to plumb through the thread.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1rTQ31O6UnFlgVfIa8L6R1ESVDrHOH4xnySGmCkBPMVc/edit?usp=sharing

Offline Lord Dick Tim

• CA Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2013, 08:10:35 pm »
I was thinking about racial/national selections and the thought of "Free Peoples" came up, social groups that don't identify with any faction like Anvala or Wastelanders.

Offline Mill Wilkinson

• Salutes: 24
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2013, 08:27:03 pm »
Instead of "Free Peoples", why not name those folks "Unaligned"?

Perk ideas, free to dissection for the benefit of the system.

Grounded: For the majority of your life you have been living among the common people on the ground, learning to survive in the harsher conditions of groundside. You add +1 to any Survival or Bushman rolls you make.

Airborn: Due to curious circumstances, you were born while travelling in the air. This is often the explanation to your natural nimbleness while flying. +1 to any Flight Operation or Acrobatics rolls.

Medic: You are a trained physician or medicine man. +1 to Emergency Care and Chemistry rolls.

Lumberjack: Your physique is a sight to behold, but being large has its downs. +1 to Constitution, -1 to Intelligence

Flak Cannon: Your sharp tongue gets you into trouble as much as it gets you out of it. Carousing and Socializing +2, but a fail is met with harsher consequences.

Sweetly Suave:The opposite sex has a harsh time resisting your compliments and you instinctively understand them better than your run-of-the-mill comrade. +2 to Socializing and Empathy against opposite sex. Failure in these rolls against the same sex, however, may end worse than usual.

Synonym for Merry: You are more interested in the same gender as you are, but thus you pay attention to them more. +2 to Socializing and Empathy against same sex. Failure in these rolls against the opposite sex, however, may end worse than usual.

Lucky:Your stars were aligned well on the night of your birth. Once a day, you may reroll one dice-throw. The ending result has to be accepted, even if worse than the previous one.

Natural Command: Ever since being a child you have been the leader of the group, and this adeptness has continued to adulthood. Once a day you may add your Eloquence to any throw your crewmember is throwing.

If you like, I can invent more of these. :)
« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 09:00:40 pm by Mill Wilkinson »

Offline Johny Cyanide

• [BDGR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2013, 09:33:05 pm »
I like fee peoples It seems to fit theme well. also more traits YAY!

Ruffian: I say aren't you the tough customer. You can add on all your negative social modifiers on as damage when using appropriate gear (Poor quality)

It's mostly Ornamental.: Tell me who is your designer. You could never pass up on a weapon with a well know makers mark. You can use a personal weapon's damage die as a bonus for any social skill checks when using appropriate gear. (Ornate)

Offline Lord Dick Tim

• CA Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2013, 01:26:54 am »
These are all so perfect, I'll start adding to the doc soon.

Also looking at profession templates, the idea goes two ways. Either as a template that is put on a character with different skills or bonus attributes or as an example of particular skills and point arrangements that best fits the character within a specific role.

I prefer the later, it acts like a quick reference for building a character without  limiting a weird or crazy build that may not be optimal.
The former however structures the game more for tacticle style play with clearly defined roles which makes it easier for wider consumption, not something we really need to concern ourselves with.

Offline Piemanlives

• Salutes: 155
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2013, 02:47:56 am »
The Obliviant Day Dreamer

While keeping your head in the clouds has it's obvious consequences, you tend to be more open minded and creative compared to your fellow compatriots, however you tend to be awkward in social sessions.
+3 Scientific/Improvisation
-3 Social/Command

Offline Lord Dick Tim

• CA Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 27, 2013, 04:09:59 am »
Keep them coming gents.
The min/max trade off and values has me thinking up ideas about the general size of the dice pools and extent of a characters possible skill.

Since points equal a persons relative skill, and that skill number is a direct correlation to dice amount I've been giving it some thought that a skill number can go as high as say a 4 normally, a 5 with achievements and perks that boost it up.

Soft cap 4, hard cap 5.

So a skilled gunner may have a 3 in awareness, 3 in firearms, 1 in a specialization for rifles and a Rifle with a dice score of 4=11 dice.  With a roughly 30% chance to score a success they may come up with a dice roll of 3 success.  Those success dice could then be further balanced by an enemies armor, which could reduce the amount of damage done.

Another example
Social engineering for somebody who is so so in social events
Impressing a person- poise 2, socializing 2, specialty high class parties 1, trait bonus "it's mostly for show" add 3 for pistol=8
With lower scores but good traits a character still has a reasonable chance at gettin a success in social situations that didn't put to many points into being social.
With the hard cap at 5 this could make it so characters couldn't do, say this...

Awareness 5, firearms 5, specialty rifle 5, rifle 4, trait Military trained +2 awareness +2 firearms, -2 int, -2 socializing. = 23
With a hard cap the player would only get a score of 19, the military training perk couldn't add to stats already capped at 5, this also makes it so players couldn't stack traits with similar bonuses.  A 19 is still pretty much, point your gun at it and it dies, but it does make it so special dice challenge rules can come into effect and actually be affective.

For example, lets say that previous dice score was a called shot, aiming for the head.  This comes at a -5 for difficulty, score is now 15, still likely going to be a kill shot if a success goes into the dome.  But the enemy is wearing a helmet, so make the damage non-lethal.  So the player Aims, +1, new roll is 16, but they want to make sure it's a kill shot, so they specify they are aiming for the face, uncovered area, another -5, dice score is now an 11 and still stands a good chance of braining the enemy, which is what we would expect from a maxed out score Gunner.

Offline Mill Wilkinson

• Salutes: 24
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2013, 05:30:48 am »
I think combat should be kept simple, as this is currently a system that mostly gets played via interwebs and thus the DM's dice load is huge already.
Also, i think the nationality of a character should affect the reputation and reactions instead of stats, as the statting would mean penalties to people who would like to play, say, a Mercantile Mercenary.

More perks for your enjoyment. Remember, the perks should be balanced, I just throw these in.

All I Need Is Some Tin Cans: While some may need spare parts, you are an absolute genius in jury-rigging the mechanical. +1 Mechanical Engineering, +1 Ancient Technology

It Is Big, Thus Easy To Hit: You have a natural talent for determining range and conditions for deadly shots in the air. +2 to called shot dice pool against enemy airships.

I Guess It Works For Engines, Too: You are adept at boosting engine-effectiveness with less-than-orthodox methods. Bonuses to travel- and combat-speed, but at the risk of over-exerting the engines.

Lil' Freud: You are a trained psychologist, a skill you most certainly use to your own benefit. +1 Eloquence and Empathy.

Renown: You've done something remarkable in the past, or are from a remarkable parent. Wherever you go, you are possibly recognized, but be it in good or bad is in the hands of gods.

Ran With The Circus: Once during your life you spent your days as a member of a traveling circus. This has left you with some neat tricks. +1 Throwing, +1 Acrobatics.

Rode With The Jaegers: Due to your companion you kept in your earlier days, you have an exceptional fighting skill at your disposal. Weapon Fighting +1, Firearms +1.

Getaway: You've had the dubious pleasure of being a getaway-driver for some small-time criminal. +1 driving, +1 Flight Operation.

Underground Contacts: You are knowledgeable in the workings of the criminal world. If in a town and in need of information, roll your Eloquence minus difficulty to gain accurate information not available otherwise.

Offline Piemanlives

• Salutes: 155
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 27, 2013, 09:10:17 am »
Verulian Admiral

Known for being a complete and total eccentric you have a tendency to use less then practical measures. You also happen to be pretty bad at parties, so avoid them best you can.

+5 Swords/Command
+3 Improvisation
+2 Revolver Handguns
-6 social
-2 Chosen Skill

Courier Pilot

You are able to navigate quite well on instinct alone, and while you are not built for combat you fire a gun decently enough to save your life.

+3 Navigation
+2 Firearms
-2 Durability

Desert Gatekeeper

More time then naught you spend defending the gate against people who think they are late for dessert.

-2 firearms
+3 Melee
+2 Durability

Shock Therapist

There really isn't that much to say about you other then profession

+2 Intimidation
-3 Social

Offline Johny Cyanide

• [BDGR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 27, 2013, 10:07:45 am »
the skill cap really seem like a good idea, and it really allows for traits that provide alternate tactics as opposed to pure skill pumps.

Local Drunk: I am the god of beer care to make a sacrifice to me. Being know as a drunk has few perks, but one of which is that by downing a bottle of alcohol you can negate any consequences from a failed social check. After all it's not your fault you were drunk.

Desperado: A mean chap like you would just take any offense. So when you catch someone in a lie you are give the choose to engage in a quick draw. Both side roll the same die then add their dexterity modifier. Highest number wins lowest number dies. If you win the kill will have no legal consequence, but if you lose you die.
(I like this one because its really hi-risk and almost completely unnecessary to do.

Offline Honeybadger

• Salutes: 21
    • [H♥B]
    • View Profile
    • My Stream
« Reply #44 on: May 27, 2013, 03:51:21 pm »
This looks cool. Can't wait for 1.0 to be complete