Author Topic: Guns of Icarus: A Diesel Punk tale ( Rpg proposed rule system)  (Read 76426 times)

Offline Lord Dick Tim

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 119
    • View Profile
Re: Guns of Icarus: A Diesel Punk tale ( Rpg proposed rule system)
« Reply #45 on: May 28, 2013, 01:10:30 am »
The high noon killing concept is a good one johny, also I love the other traits I keep seeing.
I didn't get near a computer day to do the proper editing, but I'll be on it tomorrow.

We've got enough traits to shuffle around considerable, but what about base skills?  The current base I have works for most situations in a game space, but I think it could use a little more fleshing out.

Offline Mill Wilkinson

• Salutes: 24
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 28, 2013, 06:54:23 am »
We've got enough traits to shuffle around considerable, but what about base skills?  The current base I have works for most situations in a game space, but I think it could use a little more fleshing out.
I think the skillbase needs a test-run to determine whether new additions should be made, and several test-plays to decide whether some skills are needless.
Also, I'd like to see to which attributes the skills are tied to, now we just know that Carousing is Social and Firearms a Mental skill.

Kung-fu Skwhale-style: You are a trained martial artist, a sight to behold during a brawl. This determination has led to a gruff exterior, however. You can use your bare fists as well as a normal man uses melee weapons, but you get -1 to Carousing and -1 to Eloquence.
            Jump-Kick: Being honed your skills as a martial artist, you've become to eralizee the benefits of your surroundings in combat. Still, you are more and more concentrated on developing yourself that others tend to be forgotten. +1 to Athletics and to-hit rolls while unarmed, -1 to Socializing and Carousing.

Offline Honeybadger

• Salutes: 21
    • [H♥B]
    • View Profile
    • My Stream
« Reply #47 on: May 28, 2013, 11:37:23 am »
Right now i need people to think up different traits that off the character unique powers, I could come up with a ton but I don't want it to be all my ideas.

Funny would be Drug addicted *cough honeybadger cough* what was that clear liquid in the saloon anyways ?

Hey man, I gotta be on the sauce or else shit goes down.

Offline Gabranth

• Salutes: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 28, 2013, 11:41:27 am »
Kung-fu Skwhale-style: You are a trained martial artist, a sight to behold during a brawl. This determination has led to a gruff exterior, however. You can use your bare fists as well as a normal man uses melee weapons, but you get -1 to Carousing and -1 to Eloquence.
            Jump-Kick: Being honed your skills as a martial artist, you've become to eralizee the benefits of your surroundings in combat. Still, you are more and more concentrated on developing yourself that others tend to be forgotten. +1 to Athletics and to-hit rolls while unarmed, -1 to Socializing and Carousing.
Haha that a nice idea :D Skywhale-style... hehe...wonder what it would look like.

Hey another aspect would be , how many can "participate" ? Like , were quite a few now , I counted 7. Is there a player limit ?

Offline Lord Dick Tim

• CA Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 29, 2013, 04:24:00 am »
Like most RPG games I think the ideal table count is about 4-6 players.

Offline Lord Dick Tim

• CA Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 29, 2013, 04:31:58 am »
Skywhale Style brings up a good point, having multiple points in the same trait increasing the depth of your knowledge in that trait.
It might overpower a character to separate these from the rest of the traits.

The real customization aspect in this game might solely be in the perk/trait system, we will have to balance it accordingly, along with making a way for people to craft their own.

Offline Mill Wilkinson

• [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 29, 2013, 05:07:20 am »
It is always a GM's decision whether to approve or disapprove. Perhaps these perks could be more example-like in nature rather than "only" options for players. This would also let the system be shifted towards deeper or lighter roleplay.

Offline Johny Cyanide

• Salutes: 1
    • [BDGR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 31, 2013, 01:48:57 am »
The real customization aspect in this game might solely be in the perk/trait system, we will have to balance it accordingly, along with making a way for people to craft their own.
It is always a GM's decision whether to approve or disapprove. Perhaps these perks could be more example-like in nature rather than "only" options for players. This would also let the system be shifted towards deeper or lighter roleplay.

If I understand this correctly what your saying is that players would more or less make up the traits they want to use and it would be at the dm's discretion to approve or deny them.

Also I imagine that if you wanted to have the traits be the main focus of the customization then you should probably do it one of two ways to keep things balanced either have every trait come with positive and negative effects. or also have pure negative traits and require a player to balance them out. Just my thoughts.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 01:51:18 am by Johny Cyanide »

Offline Lord Dick Tim

• CA Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 31, 2013, 04:43:19 am »
I agree with you John, it might even be a good idea to having something similar to the system DnD uses in the point buy for raising stats at beginning level, but that would be part of the larger character creation system anyways.

It really comes down to play testing and abusing the crap out of the system.  Give me one more week and we can get a play by post together with character sheets with a DM rolling stats, we can run it for a week, check fire and try some other scenarios out then go back to chopping up the rules.

Offline Mill Wilkinson

• [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 31, 2013, 05:27:06 am »
I thinks traits would have to be two-leveled. First come the perks which are entirely beneficial, but give you less boosts. Other level are the perks which give you a heftier boost, but with a penalty to something else. The way the perks go now, there are perks which are absolutely minmax-quality, some which give you a major bonus to something or some which seem a tad useless due to the penalties.
I am NOT saying I didn't do most of those kind of errors, but please, if you start planning a test-play, go through the current perks and decide which style of perkdom you want to enforce.

Offline Johny Cyanide

• Salutes: 1
    • [BDGR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 12, 2013, 12:57:27 am »
Any updates?

Offline Mill Wilkinson

• [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 12, 2013, 05:49:58 am »
Been wondering that myself.

Offline Lord Dick Tim

• CA Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 16, 2013, 06:31:04 am »
Yup, doing a play test late night Wednesday with PapaParadox using Roll20.  It's going to be very bare bones, grab me on steam Lord Dick Tim if you also want in for the play test.
Like I said, going to be very, very bare bones.  Looking are core stat, how abilities are used and interactions along with combat, health, damage and movement on the board.
I've also managed to figure out some of the ship combat, it doesn't look strong yet, but the core concept is there.   

Offline Mill Wilkinson

• [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 16, 2013, 02:12:12 pm »
Yup, doing a play test late night Wednesday with PapaParadox using Roll20.  It's going to be very bare bones, grab me on steam Lord Dick Tim if you also want in for the play test.
Like I said, going to be very, very bare bones.  Looking are core stat, how abilities are used and interactions along with combat, health, damage and movement on the board.
I've also managed to figure out some of the ship combat, it doesn't look strong yet, but the core concept is there.
What GMT would your late-night be?

Offline Lord Dick Tim

• CA Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 17, 2013, 03:54:56 am »
Eastern, shooting for 10PM (I hope).  Here is a link to the character sheet so far https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_zrU7oS9KvDI2S6WlgwtxZCsEEmZd70K-xzjtDMn-No/edit?usp=sharing

It also has a few explanations about how some of the point allocations work.  Nothing is set in stone, this is still all very primitive at the moment.  Again this isn't including the proposed trait system.