Author Topic: Welcome to the Community Manual!  (Read 20968 times)

Offline Kyren

• Salutes: 80
    • View Profile
Welcome to the Community Manual!
« on: May 21, 2013, 07:52:29 am »
Consider this the usual "Welcome to.." thread!

The times when games used to come with a fine CD and a thick manual with them are long gone, but I think we should revive them as good as possible within our Steampunk setting. Currently we've got information and tutorials about the game spread in every corner of the Community; we've got Wikis in different state of use and actualization, a ingame manual, a guides section on the forum.

We haven't one comprehensive guide where you'll find everything without having to go around three corners. I'd like to fix that with the "GoIO-Community Manual". One document, available as a forum thread, a Wikipedia page, in a HTML version and a PDF. Hopefully translated and made easily accessable by  and to all the various GoIO-Communities, and edit- and actualizable from one central location. In time, I'd like it to become the official GoIO-Manual, a joint venture from Devs and Community.

Now, where to go from here?

Offline Sgt. Spoon

• Salutes: 112
    • [Keno]
    • View Profile
Re: Welcome to the Community Manual!
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 11:29:58 am »
(yes, next to pondering the Community Guide that is so shamefully ignored currently :P)

sorry about that. I've just been so busy that I don't have time to write up something... for now atleast :/

Offline Keon

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 105
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 06:02:40 pm »
Wikipedia page is a bad idea.

Can I use gifs?

Offline Ataris

• Salutes: 20
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2013, 12:47:42 pm »
Nice idea, Kyren, i will help you hopefully when the mess with my job ends...

Offline Kyren

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2013, 09:56:01 am »
We've got our first assignments in the Progress & Work Distribution thread!

Aye, gifs would surely do us some good, Keon!

Don't you worry if there's no spare time to write Manuals currently, it's not like we'll be done by the weekend :)

Offline Keon

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 105
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2013, 12:11:11 am »
We've got our first assignments in the Progress & Work Distribution thread!

Aye, gifs would surely do us some good, Keon!

Don't you worry if there's no spare time to write Manuals currently, it's not like we'll be done by the weekend :)

Just checking that gifs could be used in all formats. After all, a gif isn't good on print. Also, do we have any style? Formal, joking? I mean, I don't want to make bad puns if this will formal or something.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 12:13:16 am by Keon »

Offline Kyren

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2013, 10:57:40 am »
My shameful apologies for answering so late! I haven't been very involved with GoIO and the Guide in the past 2 months because of studying for my damned evening school. I'll get my exam results next monday, but even if I failed, I've got time on my hands until September and I'd love to get this done a long way before that. You'll see me doing more work than just posting fancy comments and commands in bad English here too!

Keon, I'd go for a rather joking style. Catches the general atmosphere in the community better, and will make for a smoother read!

Offline Kyren

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2013, 12:27:15 pm »
Tough choice, starting another Welcome to the ... topic or answering the current one :P Well, I guess our to-be-volunteers are going to read it here though :)

Some weeks ago I started a discussion in the Guides forum; "One Guide to teach them all" (Link) and this is what became of it. We decided that it was best to recruit people among the CAs first, to have a reliable base for working on the Guide before we throw the whole idea at the public, but now we're ready to do the latter!

If you feel like contributing to the Community Manual, go here and choose your topic: Progress & Work-Distribution , our aim is to create something like a handbook that you get with GoIO, a foolproof all-covering Guide to the game!

Offline Elendu

• Salutes: 2
    • [CsM]
    • View Profile
    • MeinKraft Online
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2013, 09:52:41 am »
A Wiki guide is currently in progress:

http://gunsoficarusonline.wikia.com/wiki/Guns_of_Icarus_Online_Wikia

This has been kept up-to-date and has grown considerably with the recent surge of new players.

Offline Kyren

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2013, 08:32:42 am »
A Wiki guide is currently in progress:

http://gunsoficarusonline.wikia.com/wiki/Guns_of_Icarus_Online_Wikia

This has been kept up-to-date and has grown considerably with the recent surge of new players.

Ah, your new layout looks great, good to see that the Wiki is still kept in a good state :) The Wiki development somehow always happened off-forums as far as I noticed, similar to all the Steam Guides. Just to clarify this again - this guide here is no replacement for the Wiki, and was never intended to. The aim here is to have a manual, a booklet like they were delivered in the good old days with the CD cases :P I'm sure that we'll profit from exchanging content and information between the Wiki and the Guide still! (Especially seeing as how the Wiki already has articles on the Mobula!)