Author Topic: Ship Customization: EXPANDED  (Read 20253 times)

Offline Tim the Enchanter

• Salutes: 1
    • [GMU]
    • View Profile
Ship Customization: EXPANDED
« on: February 24, 2013, 12:27:16 pm »
I love that I can name my ship and put a loadout for the right kind of weapons. However, I like being super creative and making things my own. So I wanted to see if people had other ideas for ways to customize our ships. So I will start:

Customizable flags to fly on our ship (This can be an Armada or Guild flag if we ever get those or a Freelance flag)

I would love to read other peoples opinions good or bad.  :)

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
Re: Ship Customization: EXPANDED
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 12:30:04 pm »
I'd like to see engine customization. You could pick a type of turning engine and a type of main engine, and each one would have different properties e.g. Speed (no kidding), varying penalties as they get damaged, etc. It would add another level of versatility and strategy, and could help diversify ships more.

Offline Pickle

• Salutes: 42
    • [AeBr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2013, 12:32:54 pm »
I'd love more customisation.. dammit, I'd *pay* to be able to register my ship names so that noone else can use them, and I'd pay to be able to change the appearance of the ship.  But I'd not pay a lot for it.

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2013, 12:34:32 pm »
And while we're at it, different types of balloons as well. Could be cool to see different models with different amounts of vertical drag, resistance to attack, etc.

• [GMU]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2013, 10:44:43 pm »
I love all these ideas.

I want the ability to really make the ship my own, so it's unique.

1. I love that I can name my ship but I would like to have the name written somewhere on my ship.
2. Be able to add designs to the hull and balloon
3. To be able to choose materials for hulls, types of balloons, engines, etc... to make the ships better. (This will be tricky because you will have to find balance)
4. If we ever can have planes I would love a balanced variety of planes that attach to ships.

Offline Lord Dick Tim

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 119
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2013, 01:05:40 am »
I vaguely remember a Muse teamster saying that more customization was inbound, just not exactly when, or exactly what.  I want to say flags, but it could have been balloon designs.
I love the idea of tweaking engines oe balloons themselves for different speeds and drag.  I could imagine a squid with super quick engines with crap for HP and a helium filled balloon that catches fire super easy.
Or a very armored engine that turns slower but is less susceptible to fire or destruction, same with the balloon, less maneuvering for an increase in overall HP or damage resistance.
I'd also want to go all in and even tweak the hulls, but I wouldn't want to present a situation where I could min max the crap out of a specific build that becomes an instant win.

Offline Kyren

• Salutes: 80
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2013, 03:29:47 am »
I remember from some post on the old forum, that Muse wasn't very leaning towards the idea of customizing everything aboard - meaning switching engines, balloons, hulls, etc. But rather provide different models for ships in regards to effectiveness, and leave the player more freedom with the customization that doesn't affect gameplay.

Maybe that policy has changed now, but I guess they're still planning on implementing it some way or another.

Of course I'd just love to switch engines and hulls on my ships, more than just taking a different predefined model, but I suppose it'd make the gap between veterans and new players even higher. Now it's already "easy enough" to mess the ship up in terms of loadout, then it could also get messed up in terms of engines, etc. :P

Offline Pickle

• Salutes: 42
    • [AeBr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2013, 04:10:39 am »
I vaguely remember a Muse teamster saying that more customization was inbound, just not exactly when, or exactly what.  I want to say flags, but it could have been balloon designs.
I love the idea of tweaking engines oe balloons themselves for different speeds and drag.  I could imagine a squid with super quick engines with crap for HP and a helium filled balloon that catches fire super easy.
Or a very armored engine that turns slower but is less susceptible to fire or destruction, same with the balloon, less maneuvering for an increase in overall HP or damage resistance.
I'd also want to go all in and even tweak the hulls, but I wouldn't want to present a situation where I could min max the crap out of a specific build that becomes an instant win.

Helium doesn't burn.. ..

I think varying the specs of ships would create a balance headache.  Better that customisation of PvP ships is kept to cosmetic changes.

Offline Lord Dick Tim

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 119
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2013, 04:29:22 am »
That's right helium just does the same thing as argon and pushes oxygen out right?  Noble gas, it's been so long since my first chemistry lessons that I'm forgetting the first lessons.  Hydrogen, that's what I meant.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 04:37:44 am by Lord Dick Tim »

• [GMU]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2013, 07:48:54 am »
I would prefer to have just cosmetic changes if the balance of the game would give Muse too much trouble.

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 144
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2013, 09:39:51 am »
Awhile ago I was told by someone at Muse (cant remember now) that they had no plans to implement a way to customize stats on a ship (balloon, engines, hull, ect.). They do want to do cosmetic customization, but Im not sure on what the flavor would be (flags, hull paint, balloon paint, ect.).

• [GMU]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2013, 11:54:20 pm »
Awhile ago I was told by someone at Muse (cant remember now) that they had no plans to implement a way to customize stats on a ship (balloon, engines, hull, ect.). They do want to do cosmetic customization, but Im not sure on what the flavor would be (flags, hull paint, balloon paint, ect.).

If we were to eventually have a "customization station" for our ships, how customizable do you think it would be? I guess it would depend on how much time Muse wants to spend on customization and they have more important stuff to worry about at this moment.

Offline Kanimal

• Salutes: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2013, 12:53:05 am »
I think they'd be better served making an additional ship or two rather than allowing customization of engines and balloons.  Allowing those variables into the mix would make balancing a challenge.

Offline Ccrack

• Salutes: 25
    • [duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2013, 05:36:11 am »
i would like to see cosmetic options for the ships, and looking through some of the concept art for the ships  haveing some of the other balloon designs would be cool.

as far as stat changes.... instead of swapping components on the ships it would probbly be better if the captian could just pick some kind of passive ability on the ship loadout screen.

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2013, 01:40:46 pm »
I was hoping for the ability to change the look of the balloon, fins, and armor plate. As well as slight modifications to the paint job.

Maybe on a more personal level customize the debris around you ship. Changing the plant by the helm or the empty bottles near the engine room would give each ship a personal touch. Also they could allow us to put pictures, plaques, and trophies on some of the walls. We spend a lot of time running around the same few ships.