Author Topic: No visible crew on enemy ship?  (Read 22923 times)

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
Re: No visible crew on enemy ship?
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2013, 05:36:18 pm »
It'd be nice, and very appreciated, if a mod could clarify this.

Or Muse. I'm a Mod and I have no idea at all.

Offline Shinkurex

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 102
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2013, 05:42:26 pm »
I'm actually 80% certain, that they removed the option due to resources....

Offline Decreationist

• Salutes: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2013, 06:52:40 pm »
Well, would it be possible to re-enable it using some .ini-file or similar? I know you could set the graphics in Planetside 2 to extreme, and tweak Skyrim in the same way.

Actually, if someone could point me to the .ini-file, I'd be able to do it myself, I just can't seem to find it tho.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 06:56:08 pm by Decreationist »

Offline Jiggle Billy

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2013, 06:00:55 am »
I had the same thought as well. Hopefully it gets added again later on. I'd like to see folks scurrying about as I bring the cleansing fire to their ships.

Offline Watchmaker

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 55
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2013, 11:02:52 am »
1) You don't see crew on other ships primarily for client performance reasons (not just rendering them, but updating the physics data needed to make them animate properly).  I'd love show them, actually, it just requires time and effort that have been devoured by more important things.

2) There was, for a time, an option called "Extreme Details" that showed crew on all ships.  It was always buggy, it was always confusingly named, and it was primarily added for spectators before the spectator improvements were done.  It is not likely to return.

3) There is no .ini file.  The only way to change options outside the game in Windows is through the registry, which I don't really recommend.  This is simply how the Unity engine stores this stuff by default, and we haven't spent the effort to make it work another way (though we'd like to).

Offline Typhi

• Salutes: 10
    • [TFoD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2013, 11:21:35 am »
Thanks for the heads up, solid arguments on your side :) Though I hope they can get back eventually into the game. :)

Offline Barujin

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2013, 01:16:29 pm »
Hmm... I assumed that it was for server performance reasons since that's a lot of people running around quite frequently.

Offline Calico Jack

• Salutes: 25
    • [2620]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2013, 08:24:37 am »
given that the main reason for wanting to see crew is to suss out what's happening on the ship your looking at, can't the same be done by reading the ship's movements to guess which weapons they are considering using?

Combined with the damage log you have a fairly accurate window on what is happening on any given ship.

Offline Echoez

• Salutes: 40
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2013, 08:33:19 am »
given that the main reason for wanting to see crew is to suss out what's happening on the ship your looking at, can't the same be done by reading the ship's movements to guess which weapons they are considering using?

Combined with the damage log you have a fairly accurate window on what is happening on any given ship.

I personaly would like it even with low detail animations of the enemies just for immersion to be honest, just cause it looks silly watching a ghost ship move and fire weapons at you.

Offline Calico Jack

• [2620]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2013, 01:23:53 pm »
I personaly would like it even with low detail animations of the enemies just for immersion to be honest, just cause it looks silly watching a ghost ship move and fire weapons at you.

I agree it would be cool.

Offline Mill Wilkinson

• Salutes: 24
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2013, 11:55:24 am »
yeah, even if they'd be very simple stick figures, it'd be more immersive. Though I do understand the situation Muse is currently in with the idea. :)

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2013, 12:19:42 pm »
I can see how it would be a burden on the network to update the position and action of individuals on every ship in the game, but what if the game only showed the crew when they were at a gun, helm, or rebuilding a component. The guns already swivel, and there is a message log of who rebuilt what. Instead of burdening the network you could have a close approximation of where every one is by the last station they were on. You could also use AI on the local machine to show the crewman run between the last know station and the one they are currently on.

Offline naufrago

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 10
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2013, 10:46:11 am »
I can see how it would be a burden on the network to update the position and action of individuals on every ship in the game, but what if the game only showed the crew when they were at a gun, helm, or rebuilding a component. The guns already swivel, and there is a message log of who rebuilt what. Instead of burdening the network you could have a close approximation of where every one is by the last station they were on. You could also use AI on the local machine to show the crewman run between the last know station and the one they are currently on.

I'd find that to be worse since what you're seeing would be wrong or severely delayed instead of merely nonexistent.

Offline Calico Jack

• [2620]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2013, 02:25:01 pm »
how about a Sims like green diamond hovering over occupied crew positions

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2013, 06:55:28 pm »
Will people find it tactically useful to know where the enemy crew is? ie engineers are fixing the engines on a goldfish, time to set the front gun on fire. In doing so will it give an unfair advantage to players with better computers. I can't run the game with high graphics quality and will most defiantly turn this option off to get a few more FPS if the option was given to me. I figure having visible crew was just an aesthetic feature meant to make the game more photogenic to those who care about that sort of thing. Having non real time enemy crew positions seemed like a nice way to show how alive the ships are without dragging the newtwork down for scrubs like me who don't have brand new gaming rigs.