Author Topic: Important information the game fails to explain.  (Read 22468 times)

Offline Kamoba

• Salutes: 175
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
    • Robin and Magpie Leather
Re: Important information the game fails to explain.
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2015, 03:16:34 pm »

Oh I thought it went without saying that not everyone is required to teach new players if they don't want to, I just found it rather rude one person claims they tell players how to do things then attacks another persons opinion that Vets should (where they want to) teach new players. (and not be abusive about it of they do not want to.)

Getting the thread back on track I'll quote something by Thomas which I think sums it up beautifully.

Having every vet do this is impossible. Having -more- vets do this is entirely possible. How could we make that happen?

By worrying less about how Muse can change the game and concentrating more on how the community can have fun in games with players who are new.
Lots of us enjoy playing with our friends and playing with our teams to practice, but maybe we could all put a little effort in to creating a custom lobby, one vet pilot per ship and leaving the rest to match maker, chances are we'll be given the newer players and with just four good people can have a relatively balanced match with the goal of teaching newer players who (most likely) will be put aboard our ships.

If we wanted to go whole hog, eight vets, one pilot per ship, four spectators, have one spectator set up a party with a ship each, and give hints and tips on the go during the match.

If people are interested in doing such a thing.

Offline Mezhu

• Salutes: 33
    • [Sgar]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2015, 03:39:39 pm »
:')

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• Salutes: 119
    • [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2015, 03:54:37 pm »
While I do believe that the CAs should be a little more careful with their words, I also think the community should too. Jazzhands spits abuse on most of the responses I have seen from him. Since it is the CAs job to police these forums and prevent that kind of abuse, I can understand them turning against him. Both sides could make their points equally well without getting abusive, but the CAs are not going nearly as far as Jazz.

On to the obligation part. Is it required to teach new players? No, but if you want to help keep the community running common sense says you should. There are only so many CAs that can teach new players in the novice element. Everyone doesn't have to, but it would be nice if a few more players could pick up a bit of the slack. It is not required, you can't be banned for simply refusing to teach new players, but there is no reason not to every now and then.

Even I teach. Denying the fact that most vets teach (got the achieve and everything) seeing as its part of the culture is BESIDES THE POINT.

I just got back from teaching my AI babies mine shooting and my current prodigy Lumber, hades and heavy carronade and component sniping. I teach those worth my time.

NO ONE HAS ANY OBLIGATION TO HOLD ANYONE'S HAND. In the end it is the player themselves that decides and ascertains whether they improve or not.

If I teach and nothing goes in. I'm not teaching that person. End of. There's no benefit for me to teach them nor any need for me to put in that extra mile to drill in something thats not going in. If a player wants to improve, they will (and I will nurture that). If not, get off my ship, get off my team, I don't give a crap about your excuses I am not losing an easy game because you want to be an idiot.

This game has a  wealth of info, albeit out of the beaten path, but its not like search engines don't exist or something. It's there to be found to those that want to find it.

If anything I have more respect for capable noobs than any of you, as I am not going in with the expectation that they should be coddled like goddamn toddlers with every step of the way.

A good new player learns by his own initiative and my AIs show this, hence they are under my wing and I can afford patience as I see OBVIOUS growth and ACTUAL passion for playing this game.

A scrub is gonna be a scrub. No vet is gonna stop it from being a scrub. The scrub has to do it himself, and no vet has no obligation to help them (FACT), but many will readily do so.

So piss off with your bollocks allegations. I do things my way, I don't give a crap if you suppose your conjecture of me is immoral. I teach who I want to teach, I admonish who I want to admonish. And I do it with my reasons and justifications, not yours.

Offline Dutch Vanya

• Salutes: 107
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2015, 04:08:49 pm »
Can someone lock this thread please? It has devolved into the same garbage that inspired it. I'll just write an email.

Offline Lanliss

• Salutes: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2015, 04:11:02 pm »
You might have more respect for capable moons then most, but you seem to have no respect for just about anyone else. Someone being bad is not really a reason to throw around insults. If you think someone is intentionally being difficult, feel free to insult them a bit, but there is no reason to insult someone who simply has not learned from you. People learn at different places, something that neither you nor the public school system(in America at least) seems to accept. Correct me if I am wrong, but from the looks of your writing, you refuse to teach anyone who is not at least above average. It is fine, feel free to teach whoever you want, but there is absolutely no reason to put down everyone else. You do not seem to understand the power you have over new players. If someone joins your ship, fresh in from a sale, or maybe even having bought the game at full prices, and you tell them "gtfo, you suck too bad to play with me" that is severely damaging. It breaks their confidence, when all they did was get unlucky enough to land on a decent crew hike they had no experience, and it damages the reputation of the community. If someone plays with you, immediately being told they suck and to leave, they will likely leave. I would, who wants to be part of such a poisonous community? Teach who you will, but please, be polite to everyone else.

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 144
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2015, 04:12:08 pm »
Locked at OP's request.