Author Topic: Mercs  (Read 40676 times)

Offline JaegerDelta

• Salutes: 16
    • [2620]
    • View Profile
Re: Mercs
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2013, 09:18:46 pm »
na i was just refering to that set up in general, and all its crazyness :P

and yeah the junker can go from full snipers to full close/mid weps but it is slow, has a slightly more dificult repair set up, and doesnt have the health of a pyra.  :P

also who has two thumbs and goes off topic? this guy *thumbs point at self*

Offline Captain Smollett

• Salutes: 122
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2013, 02:28:13 am »
The secret to quick sniper to brawler switch on the Junker is Phoenix claw.  Because of the small distance to travel to close range guns the Junker makes the transition just as quick if not quicker than a Pyra when using the claw.

Offline JaceBoojah

• Salutes: 42
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2013, 03:51:20 am »
Moonshine

Offline Machiavelliest

• Salutes: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2013, 10:59:17 pm »
Dunes is a wide open map.  If there are no obstacles or concealment to hide behind, I think it's perfectly acceptable that a sniping build is effective.  However, I definately agree with the need for clouds, or some way to complicate the ship's works.  I think it's more of a map problem than anything.  If the map is such that almost no maneuvering is required (and therefore not much skill as a gunner), can you blame people for not trying to make things more difficult for themselves?

Offline Shinkurex

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 102
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2013, 09:01:00 am »
Overcoming a Sniping build in Dunes is possible (and not easy in the slightest). If you don't believe me, watch the match between Merry Northern Storm and the Paddling. While the outcome was not in favor of MNS, we were still able to surprise them in the beginning.

Offline Moriarty

• Salutes: 18
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2013, 10:03:42 am »
I would point out that match was settled at medium distance.

However the leap out of the clouds was terrifying. It was like watching Jaws, you knew it was out there. And you knew it was coming for you. Basically we didn't see anything until we were getting munched.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 10:15:15 am by Moriarty »

Offline Shinkurex

• CA Mod
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2013, 11:30:21 am »
I would point out that match was settled at medium distance.

However the leap out of the clouds was terrifying. It was like watching Jaws, you knew it was out there. And you knew it was coming for you. Basically we didn't see anything until we were getting munched.

I'm only saying that combating this type of build is possible.... just not easy....

Offline Moriarty

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2013, 11:37:43 am »
Looking at the Screen you posted in the other thread, I'm guessing it worked against the gents.

Offline awkm

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 77
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
    • Notes for Next Century—n4n100
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2013, 11:46:45 am »
I think dunes needs moving clouds. I dont think its an issue with the gun so much as the map. But ill leave that for thought and get on with mercs.

This can easily be rectified.

Furthermore, it's always double something Pyramidion.  Maybe I'll just take a gun off the Pyra, puahahahaha.

jk

maybe :P

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2013, 11:50:51 am »
@awkm Replace one of the guns with a water slide, everybody likes water slides.

Offline Shinkurex

• CA Mod
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2013, 12:12:48 pm »
Looking at the Screen you posted in the other thread, I'm guessing it worked against the gents.

Yeah, but the match was in Duel, which favored CQB

Offline Moriarty

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2013, 06:10:15 am »
Played against a cogs team in a friendly skirmish they brought out the old double pya and 4 mercs... It was slightly ridiculous. We couldn't save the galleon even with three engies at the hull.

Essentially there is no approach if they can see you.

Offline Phoebe

• Salutes: 62
    • [SPQR]
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2013, 06:53:11 am »
Played against a cogs team in a friendly skirmish they brought out the old double pya and 4 mercs... It was slightly ridiculous. We couldn't save the galleon even with three engies at the hull.

Essentially there is no approach if they can see you.

The Gentlemen took two sniper pyramidions against Skrimskraws galleon on Battle of the Dunes.   Me and Vetta were gunning Lumberjacks on the port broadside with a Merc on top.

As soon as one LB starts hitting even just one shot of each clip;- the pyra loses a gunner because the Balloon needs fulltime attention;- two bullets per clip and the pyra captain has to move out of sight.

They both ended up hiding in the tubular structure trying to snipe from cover;- but as soon as they got spotted or moved slightly in vision they were getting slaughtered just by the LB broadside.

We took them 5-0 twice in a row;

If you have gunners with Lumberjack experience and a Captain that knows what they do;- mercs don't stand a chance - their best effort would be to keep disabling the guns - straight up;- the LB will win everytime on equal hits

Another moral to the story is that the best defense is a good offense - if you see the enemy uses Mercs before the match starts and you insist on using two close range ships;- obviously you can't just facecharge them to get close range.  Use one long range weapon yourself and force the enemy captain to move or take out enemy guns

The only reason mercuries are so powerful is because the captains that are facing them let them be efficient.

If you're still in the lobby and you see two pyra's against you that have mercs either on front or on their side and you decide to go with a light carronade or hwacha you're just kind of asking for it;-  I know it sucks to use loadouts you don't prefer but a really big part of becoming a good pilot is using guns that work against your enemy;- not just guns you like.

I'm a huge Lumberjack fanatic and people still disagree with me that it's a much more powerful long range weapon than mercs;- if not the most powerful weapon in the game - I'm trying to convince captains to use it more often and allow gunners to train up on them
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 06:55:35 am by Phoebe »

Offline Lord Dick Tim

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 119
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2013, 06:59:30 am »
What Phoebe said, I can't agree with this enough.

Offline Phoebe

• Salutes: 62
    • [SPQR]
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2013, 07:03:20 am »
What Lord Dick Tim said, I can't agree with him enough