Author Topic: Spawn System Rules  (Read 6502 times)

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
Spawn System Rules
« on: April 02, 2013, 03:25:44 pm »
Most 3v3 death matches I have played end up pretty one sided. Usually the team that makes the first two kills can generally carry the match since the other side has a hard time regrouping. It is possible for a ship to escape a 2v1 encounter by running under the guns of an ally, but it is almost impossible to last against a 3v1 long enough to do anything meaningful.

So I propose a tweak to the spawning system that will help the team who lost the initial engagement regroup:
When a ship is about to respawn it checks the location of its team mates relative to the enemy ships. If all friendly ships are less than 900 meters from the enemy the ship is spawned at the furthest corner of  the map from the main action. If there is one or more friendly ships further than 900 meters from the closest enemy the dead ship is spawned at the closest point to that friendly ship while still outside the 900 meter exclusion zone.

Hopefully this will lead to the first death putting the respawned ship out of the line of fire and while they are chugging back to the action the other ships that die will join it until the action can restart. Also any ship that manages to break away from the fight can expect to have their dead friends respawn close to them, instead of on the other side of the map.

Offline Pickle

• Salutes: 42
    • [AeBr]
    • View Profile
Re: Spawn System Rules
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 03:57:01 pm »
+1
I had to read through it a couple of times, but I think you've covered every concern I had on first reading.  It all makes sense.

Offline HamsterIV

• View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 05:17:35 pm »
It is just a suggestion. I am sure awkm will play with the logic and math until it feels right, but as it stands random respawns hurt the loosing team more than the winning team.

Offline All Systems Go

• Salutes: 1
    • [ASG]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2013, 02:23:12 am »
I like this idea.

Offline Mattilald Anguisad

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 12
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2013, 10:27:03 am »
3v3 do often have spawn problems, but if you get caought in 3v1 there is nothing you or any spawn system can do.
The sawn points have to be pre-defined. Problem snot the distance, but the fact that sometimes 2 ships from sthe same team spawn on the opposite corners of the map, and that's the issue.

Offline Pickle

• Salutes: 42
    • [AeBr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2013, 11:05:47 am »
Watching a streamed match last night - several forum names playing and I remember Captain Phoenix had The Mars on the red team - there was a point in a 2v2 on Dunes where both blue ships were killed within a few seconds.  They spawned on opposite sides of the map with the Red pack in the middle.  Red were able to rush one of the Blue ships whilst the second did it's best to cross the map as his team mate was reversing away from him with Red in pursuit.  He wasn't able to make it across before his team mate was killed, and he was now in a 2v1 situation himself.

That spawn cost the Blue team two kill points, with little they could have done about it.  5:0 and 5:1 victories on Dunes (and Fjords) are frequently less about skill, and more about the quick kill and random bad luck of the spawn.  The quick kill could be said to be a degree of skill, but once the kills start going on the board the spawns but the slower team at a competitive disadvantage for the rest of the match.

Canyon and Duel have less of a problem, unless the fight has become centred on one of the spawn points of the losing side.

Offline HamsterIV

• View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2013, 11:25:04 am »
The 2v2 game is pretty balanced, but the 3v3 deathmatch is only tense for the first encounter, unless the winning team does something stupid. 3 ships represent an overwhelming amount of fire power. The spawn system proposed is a way of regrouping the teams after a combat so that they have a chance for the next combat. Ships can run off and do their own thing, but if they are smart they will stick together.