Author Topic: Steam Sales  (Read 64726 times)

Offline Kamoba

• Salutes: 175
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
    • Robin and Magpie Leather
Re: Steam Sales
« Reply #75 on: February 18, 2015, 04:18:23 am »
@Kamoba, well, week before the sale there was a guy who called Isla a slut for no reason, so you know. It's not only the matter of sales.

@Hamster, I can't see a pun there, unless Richard knows I'm from Poland. As for that guy, yeah, I try getting him in practice to show him new things everytime I can.

Oh yes I know about that guy, spoke to him myself, reported him, He logged out never to return again since. (I imagine after he got his pop up warning.)

Offline Schwalbe

• Salutes: 178
    • [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 18, 2015, 04:29:01 am »
"Pop up warning"... like - dozens of them. He was very unlucky, most players in the lobby were more experienced players, so everyone started reporting the bastard. And before somebody asks - I feel no regret. Such behavior must be punished.

Offline Kamoba

• [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 18, 2015, 04:32:52 am »
Fortunately situations like that are not so common, and the people who do come into the game with "that attitude" rarely last long, because as many say, Guns of Icarus has a close knit awesome community!

Offline Schwalbe

• [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 18, 2015, 04:42:13 am »
I remember the last, long lasting sale, when I was blocking at least 5 players a day and reporting at least one when I was lucky...

Offline MightyKeb

• Salutes: 78
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 18, 2015, 05:20:56 am »
I like to think of icarus as a proccessing plant.

You get in, you get, as mentioned, "proccessed". If you dont survive this cog-ful transformation you're thrown out the backdoor (As in leaving by own will)

But if you do you get to be one of those nice dudes and all

Sure, every community has a few bad apples but I like to think that the teamwork mechanics of GOI is the biggest reason why we seem to have a better community in terms of manners than most. Albeit small, for the same reason. B-But size doesnt matter!  >:(

Offline Kamoba

• [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 18, 2015, 06:13:03 am »
Teamwork aspects, Steampunk origins, and a big clan named [Gent] adding to the subconscious thoughts that we should all be polite and gentlen.
Tally Ho!

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 284
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 18, 2015, 12:27:28 pm »
I am not sure how that was a bad pun. I was trying to say something deep. xD

Offline Schwalbe

• [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 18, 2015, 01:13:27 pm »
I and the mentioned cog named ryedstar are, to repeat once more, from Poland. So you know. "Polish the gem"... nevermind.

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 18, 2015, 06:38:12 pm »
Unintentional punnage. Best kind of punnage.

I did come in during a Steam sale, but I am glad I never went through the 'snowflake' stage. Straight to cog. I wanted the game to be good, so I did all I could to make it the best experience I could. One of the very first things I did was put every gun on every ship to see what interesting arcs I could get. Then I flew nothing but Galleon for two months straight to keep my levels artificially low. Eventually a lot of people caught on after getting surprised stomped by that level 4 LeMoon guy and the Jeeves. Good times.

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #84 on: February 18, 2015, 06:52:34 pm »
I did the same thing in practice mode when I started the game. I remember I had 3 hours of gameplay before I started my first live match just because I did not want to screw up a functioning team. When I joined my first live match and immediately announced "Hi, this is my first game, what do you want me to do?" I was told to watch the hull of the a spire (back when it was on the bottom deck). We still lost probably because I brought a pipe wrench instead of spanner mallet. In fact I lost a lot of my early games, it is a wonder I am still here.

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 18, 2015, 07:58:40 pm »
Because it does not matter if you win or lose on a well run ship. It just has to be fun. Think of how many times you 'lost' in every other game, only to pick yourself up and try again.

Offline ShadedExalt

• Salutes: 76
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 19, 2015, 12:37:26 pm »
I'm still in that sort of in-between stage.  I'm very much still learning, but I'd like to think I'm a decent crewmember/pilot.  I definitely want to be one of the legendary veterans that everyone talks about.  Steam Sales bring in dirt, and a lot of it, but you never know whether something valuable might surface as you dig through.  Richard's "Gem" metaphor ties in.  I'm personally for sales; assholes are everywhere, and a little extra to filter out is an annoyance, but we endure massive explosions and huge bullets daily- I think a few, unknowldgeable jerks are easy enough.

Offline sparklerfish

• Salutes: 124
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
    • DJ mixes and original tracks on SoundCloud
« Reply #87 on: February 19, 2015, 01:33:52 pm »
Steam sales are good and bad.  I came in during a sale and probably wouldn't have bought it at $15.  The sale I joined during was HUGE -- there were often thousands of players on.  So with that came a lot of trolls and assholes, of course, but they don't really stick around.  I was one of the ones who stuck with novice matches until I was 3 in every class and was terrified of hitting 4 and being in regular matches because I didn't want to screw up.  I didn't have a mic at the time but I listened and learned, and cooperated, which is necessary to really get enjoyment out of the game.  The people who stick around are (mostly) the people who enjoy teamwork.  Like, the sales suck during the time they're going on, but in with the bad are the good few who stay with the community.

Offline Kamoba

• [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 19, 2015, 01:38:07 pm »
Its like panning for gold!
You get a ribbed pan, a hand full of dirt, shake the pan to raise the light weight junk up to the top, rinse the junk away and keep going until you have the heavy weight gold nuggets left  in the pan. :)

P.s. Gold panning, a very Zen like hobby, if ever anyone is in Scotland, head to a stream with a pan, you should get a few bits of natural gold..

Offline Schwalbe

• [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 19, 2015, 02:56:51 pm »
I'm still in that sort of in-between stage.  I'm very much still learning, but I'd like to think I'm a decent crewmember/pilot.

I remember when I was spectating, following new playing friend, who was on your mobula.
Well... don't get me wrong, but you DO have many things to learn. ^^