Author Topic: Indreams is Back  (Read 7669 times)

Offline Indreams

• Salutes: 105
    • View Profile
Indreams is Back
« on: December 19, 2014, 11:17:07 am »
Some of you may know this,

I haven't played guns in a while. I've been frequent on the forums, but I haven't been frequent on the games for reasons.

1.) I've been extremely busy with college applications. That's consumed most of my free time.

2.) My desktop caught one of those "I downloaded a program recommended by Microsoft to open a file, and it infected my computer with something" virus. Guns doesn't run well on my Macbook.

3.) I'm not a big fan of Match Maker. I've been dropped few too many uncommunicative, new players.

But I've pretty much finished my applications, and I'll be factory resetting my desktop. And I think the reason why match maker doesn't work for me is because I don't play enough.

So, I'll be seeing you guys in the sky!

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
Re: Indreams is Back
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2014, 12:17:35 pm »
Welcome back I guess. A lot of us spend more time on the forums than in game because the community is so good at weeding our trolls and people with e-peen issues.

The match maker has not been too kind to most veteran players and many of us have found a way around it. Custom game & Friends list helps. Some times I jump ship when I hit lobby and start looking for ships that I can actually work with.

Good luck with the college apps. I remember that was a pretty stressful period in my life. You should play some Guns of Icarus to help you relax.

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• Salutes: 119
    • [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2014, 12:52:47 pm »
Welcome back I guess. A lot of us spend more time on the forums than in game because the community is so good at weeding our trolls and people with e-peen issues.

The match maker has not been too kind to most veteran players and many of us have found a way around it. Custom game & Friends list helps. Some times I jump ship when I hit lobby and start looking for ships that I can actually work with.

Good luck with the college apps. I remember that was a pretty stressful period in my life. You should play some Guns of Icarus to help you relax.

I wouldn't recommend lucky dip for relaxation.

Main tip really is add all the decent players you know and just join their crews and lobbies. When I'm using match making, on the wait I'm looking at contacts to see if anybody is running any decent games.

(custom games is kinda redundant because of the feature to see the games via social contacts-so just make custom games like the old server browse system without the limitation of only friend and event games)

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2014, 01:23:29 pm »
True, trusting in the Match maker only serves to increase my blood pressure and decrease my faith in humanity.

I like hitting up custom game to see if my friends are in lobbies that have empty slots in them. It is faster than clicking Join crew for on every one on the list. Some times you find that magical lobby with 6 of your friends in it (and one open slot).

Offline Indreams

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2014, 09:14:03 pm »
Damn Windows 7 and Dell,... nothing works.

My desktop is not getting fixed today. :(

Offline ShadedExalt

• Salutes: 76
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2014, 11:14:33 pm »
Damn Windows 7 and Dell,... nothing works.

My desktop is not getting fixed today. :(

I have an Ad-bot Trojan too, Indreams.  I know that feel.

Offline macmacnick

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 121
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile: Macmacnick
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2014, 02:07:49 am »
Use Microsoft's autoruns program. disable the virus's functions that enable on startup, along with the other processes relating to the virus. Don't. Touch. Anything. Or Else. You can seriously fuck up your system if you aren't careful. Be sure to look at the publisher of the driver, and make sure it is nothing pertaining to microsoft, your graphics card's brand, your processor/RAM/HDD's brand and your programs, such as antiviruses. It has command line also, if that is your cup of tea. Personally, it isn't, so I used the GUI version. Remember to run it as an administrator also.
Get it here:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx?ocid=fwlink

Offline Indreams

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2014, 12:02:22 am »
macmacnick, thank you.

I tried your solution, than phoned a friend (who builds gaming computers).

So, as far as I can tell, I've disabled two startup viruses. I thought I fixed an ad virus, but it's still around. :(

One of the viruses is using the internet for something (I'm suspicious that it's taking out personal information). So, no GOIO anytime soon. But, I can play any off-line games I like. I might post on the When the servers go down... with some SPORE and Lego Racer creations of my own.

My initial approach was to factory reset my desktop. To do that, I need a DVD drive for an OS cd. I have a DVD drive, but the computer can't detect it, and I have no idea why. It's just frustrating right now.

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• Salutes: 119
    • [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2014, 10:03:42 am »
Did you dive into the deep web or something? How in the world did you get so thoroughly raped?

Offline Indreams

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2014, 12:16:27 pm »
Did you dive into the deep web or something? How in the world did you get so thoroughly raped?

Microsoft recommended programs to open files. I should've been smarter about it and got the programs myself, but I was lazy and fed my computer a package of four or five viruses.

And what ever security program my father installed on the computer can't detect any of these viruses. I'd accuse him of something, but it's not exactly his fault and he's not in the country (he's on a business trip).

So, yea, my computer got thoroughly raped. I love your figurative language.

Offline Indreams

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2014, 10:37:25 pm »
My computer is "fixed".

It's still got an ad-virus, but after spending the christmas wrestling with it, I've finally found and removed whatever was eating up the internet connection.

And I can play GOIO on my macbook; no more game breaking lags. I don't know what made it happen, but it happened.

So seriously, I'm back!