Author Topic: Heavy Weapon Suggestions  (Read 23061 times)

Offline ShadedExalt

• Salutes: 76
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
Heavy Weapon Suggestions
« on: November 26, 2014, 11:08:01 pm »
Basically everyone throws out suggestions they have for new Heavy weapons.  I'll go first:

Magma Cannon: Basically a heavy Hades.  A long range, multipurpose weapon.  Maybe some side boilers, a magazine loaded from the back of the gun would be really cool.  Slow fire rate, applies 5 fire stacks (maybe less?) On hit, bursts of steam when fired and reloaded.  Rounds would look like Hades rounds, but longer, bigger, and they'd leave a trail of fire/black smoke.

Jupiter Field Cannon: Basically a heavy Mercury.  Would take a long range piercing weapon role, with a clip of one, average reload times, and a little projectile drop.  REALLY loud boom when firing, arm sized shell casing ejected when reloading.

Vulcan Heavy Repeating Cannon: Mix a Heavy Flak and a Gatling and you get this.  Dual rotary cannon, Shatter main damage.  Clip of 50-60, medium spread, maybe a little under the light gat.  DAKKA noise when firing, long reload time, heavy screen shake while firing.

Net launcher: Four holes with metal balls with balloons loaded in them, and in the cracks between, lays a net.  When fired, it would have a mine like arc, and a huge spread.  The balls, after reaching a set distance, would expand the balloons and tense the net.  Someone flies into it, they are dealt flamethrower speed damage to balloons and engines.

Offline Zirilfer

• Salutes: 12
    • [◉‿◉]
    • View Profile
Re: Heavy Weapon Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2014, 11:46:26 pm »
The Jupiter field cannon sounds interesting, though balance makes me think it may be hard to implement. Maybe if it had a crazy amount of recoil, enough to exert force on the ship pushing it backwards or turning it so that other precision weapons would need a second to compensate.

Offline ShadedExalt

• [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2014, 11:52:02 pm »
The Jupiter field cannon sounds interesting, though balance makes me think it may be hard to implement. Maybe if it had a crazy amount of recoil, enough to exert force on the ship pushing it backwards or turning it so that other precision weapons would need a second to compensate.

That adds some pizzazz to it, I like.  It could almost be used as a manouvering tool with an effect like that!  Sounds about right.  Firing the thing would let almost everyone know your general location though, which might be a problem in and of itself. 

Jupiter Field Cannon now has ridiculous, ship moving recoil, has tiny arcs, and lets anyone with half an ear know where you are. 
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 11:54:11 pm by ShadedExalt »

Offline Zirilfer

• Salutes: 12
    • [◉‿◉]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2014, 12:25:00 am »
Also, My suggestion for a heavy weapon would probably be a heavy bomb launcher. Doing  minor piercing direct/MAJOR fire on Aoe. It would work like a longer range mine launcher in that you'd want it to arm before it hits it's target. Unlike the mine launcher however, the bomb would explode immediately after arming, doing a massive AoE (Ballpark radius of around 30m (45m with burst)).

1-4 second arming time, medium drop, clip size of... 1 or 2, I can't decide
lesmok arming range ~800 meters (Which would put standard range around 470, incendiary 352 , lochnagar 282)

Average gunner load-outs would be comprised of lesmok for long range; burst, charged and standard for medium; heatsink (if a 2 shot gun) and incendiary for close; and lochnagar for ultra close range.

It would be used similarily to the banshee or flamethrower, as an all purpose weapon to support other guns. Galleons would likely like hwatcha bomb, and lumberjack bomb combos , while spires may like it as a support weapon for hades art/flak combos.

My main concern is that with even very minor piercing damage it would add a lot of power to a merc hflak galleon or an all banshee spire, though the plus side of the merc hflak combo is that you'll have to lock one of those guns to an engi, limiting effective range of one of the 2.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 12:38:44 am by Zirilfer »

Offline Bronzium

• Salutes: 11
    • [HMCS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2014, 12:37:22 am »

That adds some pizzazz to it, I like.  It could almost be used as a manouvering tool with an effect like that!  Sounds about right.  Firing the thing would let almost everyone know your general location though, which might be a problem in and of itself. 

Jupiter Field Cannon now has ridiculous, ship moving recoil, has tiny arcs, and lets anyone with half an ear know where you are.
Reminds me of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYAZ__J2EmU (start watching at 2:05)

That generally is the major problem with heavy arsenal anyways. Many gunners (when firing heavy artillery) are aware of the danger that by firing such a heavy and loud gun, they alert the enemy to their position, and become an open target. But, most gunners tend to not think of that anyways, so making such a loud gun would really change much. (Even when firing the Hwacha, the enemy sees where you fire the missles from, and can make a calculated guess as to your position in the clouds.)

Nonetheless, that would be a fun weapon to use, I'd get a kick out of that. ;)

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2014, 06:12:45 am »

I developed an airship around a weapon like this in the VN. If it ever gets released someday, it might be in it pending it doesn't get changed. Has had some revisions to it already. Literally the boat is built around a cannon that sits on a rail within the hull. When it fires, it rocks back on the rail. If it didn't have that function, the shock would tear the vessel apart. Requires it's own gun crew to reset it's position after firing and reload. So you'd qualify this as not a heavy mount but a step above that. Extreme long range weapon. Boss ship type vessel.

Developed a few other experimental ships and weapons. Sky Torpedo being the only other real notable one which has threads here that I used to develop the concept before working it into one of the stories. If you just sit around and think what kind of fun toys people of this world would come up with, then consider it came from a WWI style world...the ideas...just fantastic.

Offline Dementio

• Salutes: 135
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2014, 08:46:01 am »
Why not a heavy "piercing" damage close range gun instead of that long range rubbish.
A gun that sends out multiple projectiles in an arc and spread similar to the mortar, which all do pure piercing damage.
Or a gun that sends out a literal explosion that can possibly push enemies away.

It would at least get rid of the basic hwacha/carro side on Galleons an make for a silly ramming Goldfish.

Offline ShadedExalt

• [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2014, 09:11:46 am »
I developed an airship around a weapon like this in the VN. If it ever gets released someday, it might be in it pending it doesn't get changed. Has had some revisions to it already. Literally the boat is built around a cannon that sits on a rail within the hull. When it fires, it rocks back on the rail. If it didn't have that function, the shock would tear the vessel apart. Requires it's own gun crew to reset it's position after firing and reload. So you'd qualify this as not a heavy mount but a step above that. Extreme long range weapon. Boss ship type vessel.

Developed a few other experimental ships and weapons. Sky Torpedo being the only other real notable one which has threads here that I used to develop the concept before working it into one of the stories. If you just sit around and think what kind of fun toys people of this world would come up with, then consider it came from a WWI style world...the ideas...just fantastic.

Ooh... DO WANT.  Even if just to see it in VN form.

Bronzium, that was a horrible pun.  I recoiled from my screen!

Zirilfer, I do like that idea, but there are balance concerns.  Maybe give it reload time on par with the Hwacha, one ammo, change the pierce to shatter/explosive...

Dementio, I was worried that a close range heavy would take the place of the Carro but screw it.

To refine your suggestions...

Tempest Heavy Steam Thrower: MAJOR knockback, flamer style, deals small pierce and shatter damage.  Almost a dust cloud flamer.  Short range of effect, massive spread/AoE so it hits almost everywhere on a ship.

Pilum Heavy Spiker: 1shot, medium reload speed, pure piercing damage.  Sends out a cloud of spiked metal spikes that deal huge piercing damage, and then drags it in.  Idea is that you fire to take down armor and then rush in while they're being dragged and ram 'em.

Some kind of automatic piercing shotgun weapon, I don't know.

Offline ShadedExalt

• [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2014, 12:14:04 pm »
Google'd the Skypedo and it sounds awesome.  Maybe combine it with Zirilfer's idea?

Offline Crafeksterty

• Salutes: 73
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2014, 02:59:15 pm »
Jupiter field cannon sounds awesome actually. I support this.
Kinda want a heavy weapon that a goldfish would use though, the goldfish doesnt use the heavy flak. This one seems like another one. More use to it than the heavy flak i must say.

The one after that is called hwacha.

But yeah, jupiter field cannon sounds ballers. May be super powerfull on a spire and a galleon.
I mean. A spire with Jupiter, Mercury + 2 artemis or Light flaks = quick death.
Or a galleon with Jupiter and Mercury and a heavy flak.

So in this case, the jupiter needs some specifics that doesnt make it too powerfull. Like a long-ish arming time. Or long reload. Arcs... something.

Offline ShadedExalt

• [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2014, 03:26:55 pm »
So in this case, the jupiter needs some specifics that doesnt make it too powerfull. Like a long-ish arming time. Or long reload. Arcs... something.

I mentioned it did have tiny arcs and a medium-long reload.  Also, it moves your ship when you fire it.  Arcs would be just above what it would take to cover a ship at, say, half the Mercuries maximum range.

What do you think about the rest of them?

Offline TeddyBearMafia

• Salutes: 8
    • [SAC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2014, 04:15:54 pm »
Jupiter field cannon sounds awesome actually. I support this.
Kinda want a heavy weapon that a goldfish would use though, the goldfish doesnt use the heavy flak. This one seems like another one. More use to it than the heavy flak i must say.

The one after that is called hwacha.

But yeah, jupiter field cannon sounds ballers. May be super powerfull on a spire and a galleon.
I mean. A spire with Jupiter, Mercury + 2 artemis or Light flaks = quick death.
Or a galleon with Jupiter and Mercury and a heavy flak.

I agree with the issues above, and also would raise an objection to any piercing gun that also support lochnagar use - it seems ridiculously OP no matter what the limitations to allow for a gun to potentially do more piercing damage to a ship than it has hull armour in a single shot.

My own gun suggestions would move somewhere along the lines of a gun like the heavy bomb launcher noted above - an air burst weapon in the line of a mine launcher would be very cool. Especially for snipey spires, a 2x art+merc build with a burst/impact weapon would allow for the gunner to use the main gun as mid-range deterrence to a charge while still being effective at range as well on an art. Or at least in my head that seems cool.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 04:18:36 pm by TeddyBearMafia »

Offline ShadedExalt

• [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2014, 04:24:50 pm »
Well,I've used every nerfbat technique I can think of except arming time.  What would you suggest?  Also, all of this feedback for the Jupiter is great, both good and bad, but what about the other five guns?

Offline TeddyBearMafia

• Salutes: 8
    • [SAC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2014, 05:40:02 pm »
Well,I've used every nerfbat technique I can think of except arming time.  What would you suggest?  Also, all of this feedback for the Jupiter is great, both good and bad, but what about the other five guns?

IMO, work with the idea. Shatter damage might be more applicable than piercing, and allow the gun to serve as a long range disabling gun that then allows the ship some precious few moments to deal exclusively with a closer enemy.

Offline Crafeksterty

• Salutes: 73
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2014, 05:46:44 pm »
The uber Hades sounds good but not interresting.
Then there is the other hwacha (vulcan)
then Net launcher, which seems too specific for a heavy weapon. The mine launcher beats it in slot usefullness.

Ide rather have a heavy weapon that downright denies the enemy pilot from piloting for 10 (more or less) solid seconds. Like a harpoon but with electrifying effect with shatter across all components. This is something all heavy weapon ships could use. Especialy the goldfish and its meneuvering use of heavy weapons. So a long reload that makes the ship that has one fire it have to turn for side guns to continue using other weapons. Perfect for the goldfish and optionate for spire and galleon. On the galleon, i can see people using it on the right side with a hwacha. Stun it, then plant all hwacha shots into it.

Another heavy gun ide like to have that is a tad bit too specific is a ElecCloud maker heavy weapon. Creates a cloud in short distance once every reload to destroy oncoming projectiles. Whenever a ship flies thru it, it suffers intense Tar like Damage. This one is sort of like the net one, but its purpose is hard to use offencively, meaning only goldfish could use it offencively, while the other ships would have it for defencive purposes of making projectiles not pass through.

There was once a suggestion for a laser heavy weapon. Where you concentrate light or heat into the ship. But its effects are questionable. Direct fire damage is pretty devestating and it has no reload.

Ide love a Cannon, mid to close range gun. A pretty litteral cannon IMPACT damage based heavy weapon that mainly pushes ships. The impact would be pretty good versus Permahull because, impact is 1.5 per 1 damage, meaning its 0.1 better than explosion which is 1.4. Spire and Goldfish could find this super usefull. Galleon in some maps.

I think a big favour for heavy weapons is a heavy weapon that is greatly affected by a gunner gunning it. So this gun has a 0.2 second reload meaning the gunner can use absolutely any ammo he likes. So it is a heavy weapon the gunner glues himself on and shots constantly. Ide say a gun like this should do light weapon ammount of effect because it has no real reload with added effects from the gunner. It would be a good piercing + shatter weapon that doesnt do much damage. Like i said, constantly shoots so no real escape from it. It also has aoe for the use of effects like Incendiary or Burst.

This sparks an idea...