Author Topic: Artemis v Banshee  (Read 23961 times)

Offline Indreams

• Salutes: 105
    • View Profile
Artemis v Banshee
« on: November 21, 2014, 11:02:26 am »
Artemis and Banshee are both 'rocket' weapons. Since the Banshee buff (which I like, and most people like) I've seen a steady decline of Artemis Rocket Launchers. In fact, I don't think Artemis was very popular to begin with. I've rarely seen it used as the primary gun.

What are the differences between Artemis and Banshee? Which one is preferable, and why?

Offline Alistair MacBain

• Salutes: 23
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
Re: Artemis v Banshee
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2014, 11:17:14 am »
Artemis was the most popular gun a few patches ago and still is quite popular at a certain lvl.
The power to constantly disable a certain key gun and keep an enemy locked down is extremely effective against alot of ships.
And even though banshee and artemis are two rocket weapons their focus is kinda different. Its like comparing a hflak with a hwacha or a carro with a flamer.
Yes both (banshee and artemis) bring explosive damage to finish of enemies alongside a disable component. But the Artemis is shatter which goes for fast disable on key features while the banshee brings fire to simply make the enemy work all over their ship to deal with the fire.

Offline Replaceable

• Salutes: 84
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2014, 11:18:47 am »
Okay, first things first. Artemii, were and still are wildly popular.

There was a time where triple artemis junkers were the norm.
(The shatter damage could strip the hull enough to get a long range kill.)

Nowadays, it can be seen, on hades/art/art/[close range guns] mobulas, hades/art/art/[close range guns] junker, hades art pyras, sometimes on a spire, rarely in a squid, sometimes i've shot one on the top left of galleon.

However the difference: Artemis do explosive as primary damage, and shatter as it's aoe (secondary) damage.
This paired with it's long range means it is a light gun with long range power to kill, as explosive is strong vs. perma hull. However due to it's shatter aoe damage, it is effective vs. components and can (and almost always is) used for disabling guns/ engines at a long range.
(As shatter is aoe, burst ammo increases this radius making disabling easier [higher chance of hitting a component] and increases your ammo- great for disabling!)

The banshee, since the update does explosive as it's primary, and now fire as it's secondary (previously explosive.)
This makes it effective at harming permanent hull (explosive) and and now effective at damaging balloons with it's secondary damage, fire since it does 1.5x damage vs. balloon. Note Burst is not used for it's secondary AoE damage as hitting a balloon is pretty easy. And it makes shooting it really slow.

Hope this answers your question.

Offline Kamoba

• Salutes: 175
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
    • Robin and Magpie Leather
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2014, 04:52:31 am »
I love both and have one or the other in slot 3 of my pyra, giving the main engineer the choice of which one. :)

As a gunner I prefer using Artemis, pop the engine, pop the guns and laugh manically in the process. Banshee is fun but I like mortar as a gunner...
I need to do gunning more often...

Offline Sprayer

• Salutes: 14
    • [SPQR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2014, 07:51:32 pm »
[...]Artemii[...]

Take my salute!

I think banshees were slightly more popular right after the patch cuz everyone wanted to try it out.

Offline nhbearit

• Salutes: 27
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2014, 01:31:48 am »
First, personally I prefer the Artemis over the Banshee. This is mostly because the builds I run that would benefit the most from having either gun tend to be either long range (e.g. Mandarin Junker) or disable oriented. At longer ranges the Artemis is simply more accurate, which makes it dependable. For disables, an Artemis is better at disabling specific components, which is normally what I need to happen. The Banshee is certainly a good gun and has a place in alot of builds. I simply don't use it that often because of the builds I fly. Which is why I prefer the Artemis.

Second, and I know this is a bit nitpicky and pedantic, the plural of Artemis is certainly not Artemii. Using -ii is how you pluralize words that end with an -us sound with LATIN based words. Artemis is a GREEK name. Based on a discussion I had a while ago, I believe the plural form of Artemis would sound like Artemota. I'm sorry to have to be so nitpicky about this point. I simply feel that allowing people to keep advertising the use of Artemii would do that earlier discussion an injustice.

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2014, 02:28:04 am »
Neither, the art isn't strong enough to stop ships from closing range and the shee is almost completely useless with chem. I knew even with the buff that the Shee wasn't Op. Its just people that don't chem. Lot of new players don't do it. In pubs you can take flameboats and just melt faces off, in vet matches you can't do squat without a carronade or something else with the flamer.

Offline Replaceable

• Salutes: 84
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2014, 05:51:59 am »
I like artemii personally got a nice ring to it.

#JustSteamPunkLingo

Offline ShadedExalt

• Salutes: 76
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2014, 09:55:57 am »
I like the Banshee and Artemis equally.  The thing is though, they're for different things.  Art is for hull damage and disable, Banshee is for firey harassment and a slightly better anti permahull weapon.  But dat Banshee scream doe...

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• Salutes: 119
    • [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2014, 02:53:41 am »
I frankly really hate the banshee.

Banshee fires are nothing to a ship as they don't stack above chem spray limit. And their damage isn't all that impressive compared to others guns. Want fire? flamer or hades. Want damage gatling or hades.

For the longest time I ran a double art merc mobula.
And my spire is a merc art, hwacha/flak, flamer.

Only recently have I switched the one art for a banshee because the reload times of the art could give away a hull rebuild. But i have noticed that hull break comes longer than it use to.

So the banshee is pretty much being used like a meta pyra's mortar. I would otherwise use flak in its place but I only keep it because of the greater range the banshee gives.

That being said the banshee is a nightmare to actually shoot accurately. Its like a mini hwacha when fired rapidly with none of the power.

also. Why is the plural for artemis artemii? That plural form only appears on words from words with latin roots (words ending in -us like cactus). If anything artemis has a greek route. it doesn't follow latin rules.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 02:58:20 am by Ceresbane »

Offline Indreams

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2014, 07:50:52 am »
Also. Why is the plural for artemis artemii? That plural form only appears on words from words with latin roots (words ending in -us like cactus). If anything artemis has a greek route. it doesn't follow latin rules.

As a person that dipped a toe into Greek (I got distracted in Spanish class and spent a week learning Greek stuff), that's a little weird. There's like eight noun endings, four of them for plural. Well, come to think of it, Latin has more than eight noun endings per word...

Let's just go with irregular English exceptions of Plurals ending in "-i" and call it Artemi.

Or even better, if a CA or somebody can start a forum vote thread on what the plural for Artemis is, that'd be great.

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2014, 05:40:03 pm »
would a forum vote truly resolve it though?

The voting base doesn't have the same level of knowledge for languages.
So wouldn't this really just be resolved over preference than correctness?

Offline Indreams

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2014, 06:28:34 pm »
Eh,... it'd be an attempt.

And it will bring to light a question that needs to be addressed before the community goes further.

Anyways, Artemis has a bigger arc than Banshee (65 to 60), but its slower to turn. Do you guys think the slower turn speed on Artemis is a big enough difference to how these two guns work?

When I play gunner or gungineer, I prefer the Banshee because its smoother to move.

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2014, 06:35:10 pm »
Eh,... it'd be an attempt.

And it will bring to light a question that needs to be addressed before the community goes further.

Anyways, Artemis has a bigger arc than Banshee (65 to 60), but its slower to turn. Do you guys think the slower turn speed on Artemis is a big enough difference to how these two guns work?

When I play gunner or gungineer, I prefer the Banshee because its smoother to move.

well the art is a part sniper. you need that slower turn speed for very minute and precise aiming.

plus the banshee flies all over the place.

Offline JaegerDelta

• Salutes: 16
    • [2620]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2014, 02:22:32 am »
You guys are having trouble with a plural because you are using a slang form of the name.

The weapon's name is the Artemis Light Rocket Launcher, therefore, the plural is Artemis Light Rocket Launchers.

But if you really want a plural for the short version you would pluralize it in the same way you do any name, because you are calling it by a nickname.

so because it ends in s, Artemises is probably the most acceptable.