Author Topic: Reagan's Star Wars, or Shooting Down Projectiles  (Read 24477 times)

Offline Indreams

• Salutes: 105
    • View Profile
Reagan's Star Wars, or Shooting Down Projectiles
« on: November 18, 2014, 10:20:28 am »
To those who aren't familiar, Reagan's star wars is the idea that you can shoot down ICBMs. I was wondering if the same can happen in the game.

Recently, I've noticed enemy projectiles showing hit markers whenever they run into flames. (I've seen this most with incoming mortar shots)

Are projectiles taking damage? Is it possible to shoot down incoming projectiles?

I think it'd be cool (and uber laggy) if two Hwacha barrages negated each other, or if a heavy gatling sniped out lumberjack shots.

Any thoughts, knowledge, or anecdotes?

Offline Schwalbe

• Salutes: 178
    • [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
Re: Reagan's Star Wars, or Shooting Down Projectiles
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2014, 10:42:12 am »
I noticed the same effect on projectiles. This would be interesting, but I think it's rather unnecessary...

Offline Shinkurex

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 102
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2014, 10:54:21 am »
Might be tied into mine launchers... as you can shoot both the balloon, and mine if you're good enough

Offline Alistair MacBain

• Salutes: 23
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2014, 11:18:59 am »
I doubt this works. The hitmarkers are most likely only there due to the way projectiles are implemented.
Can't confirm though.

Offline Crafeksterty

• Salutes: 73
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2014, 12:20:39 pm »
But if something is there. There has been numerous suggestions for a weapon that specificaly takes out projectiles.

Offline Replaceable

• Salutes: 84
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2014, 01:26:49 pm »
I remember someone telling me months ago when I asked about this that projectiles were invincible. But, I cannot confirm if this is true. (Maybe it was awkm, or another player, I dunno though...)

But also, I've been on many a ship where people where like "Did I just shoot that hades out of the air?" Again, I cannot confirm if this happens for sure.

Hmm.. *Performs muse summoming spell*

Offline Queso

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 126
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2014, 01:35:58 pm »
It's been too long since I was in that code and I'm fire-walled out of the database info :P

Offline RedRoach

• Salutes: 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2014, 01:45:44 pm »
Hmm... *imitates muse summoning spell, but this time with a flamer and cake hoping for a cake dev to show up*

Offline Riggatto

• Salutes: 60
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2014, 02:38:13 pm »
I've had occurrences where flak shots from opposing spires hit in midair

Offline Indreams

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2014, 03:16:04 pm »
I've had occurrences where flak shots from opposing spires hit in midair

So the flak was shot down? Or did it just hit the end of its range?

Offline DJ Logicalia

• Salutes: 191
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2014, 03:21:12 pm »
This seems to happen most often when I hit things flamers. I, too, was curious why projectiles have hit markers

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2014, 06:22:02 pm »
Well lets consider mines. They're projectiles that float like a mini airship and are programmed to detonate with proximity. Consider sandbox mode's drones. Similar to mines except they have engines and guns, thus can move. So lets say for everything projectile, Muse basically starts with the same concept. This means that all projectiles are actually mini airships with rules tweaked for when they come into contact with another object. This also means the airships we fly are actually giant projectiles. Which would explain why Muse would have to redesign the entire game to make silliness like boarding possible. Projectiles can spawn more projectiles but if they can't enter one another without a reaction taking place then I wonder if human players are categorized as projectiles too. We can exist inside the giant projectile but cannot exist outside of it, at least not for very long before the game polices us to prevent something insane going on with the engine.

So a redefine of everything would need to happen for them to allow it. Far too much work. But this does give a hint at how towns and other objects will work in Adventure mode. If it is similar then we can infer that when we walk around a town it'll be like we're in a giant stationary airship. We won't have a literal dock where ships land at and be able to see them coming and going, we'll have port buildings. Then perhaps instancing where a static airship model is docked and when we take control of it, we get a load screen which then spawns us in the air outside the city.

Offline Indreams

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2014, 07:18:12 pm »
But does this mean, with enough focus fire, projectiles can be shot down?

Or are missiles and such do not have the special rule (hull and armor) that ships have and therefore cannot be shot down?

Offline James T. Kirk

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 182
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
    • The Cake Official Website!
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2014, 08:41:23 pm »
One of my Pastries swears that he took out an artemis rocked mind-flight with another artemis rocket.

Offline Dutch Vanya

• Salutes: 107
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2014, 08:47:37 pm »
I have definitely seen projectiles hit eachother midair. I'm not sure if they cancel out but it very much looked like it. Good luck trying to do this on purpose though.