Author Topic: Endless CK matches - never again (please) !  (Read 6160 times)

Offline Hoja Lateralus

• Salutes: 135
    • [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
Endless CK matches - never again (please) !
« on: September 13, 2014, 08:26:12 pm »
We all know the moment when during Crazy King match teams are so balanced that for much time no one can even get a point, the games goes on but there's no progress at all. This makes some game take sometimes over 40 minutes which is exhausting and no-fun for most people, especially when there's no progress. I think this is quite silly and would like this one sorted out.

So basically two ideas came to my head:

The simple one - make ALL the games have the rule from Hephaestus Challenge that after 30 minutes game ends and whoever has more points/kills wins. I believe it's a good idea.

The less simple one
- I'm not sure about this one but I think currently capturing points works like that - if there's ANY enemy ship in the capturing zone - the point isn't captured. That's why it's so important (and annoying) to block points when you can - but as I mentioned before it can basically make game stagnant. I suggest we change it in such way that the enemy ship makes capturing point slower, but not stop (except one case). This is how I see it
If there's 1 and 1 ship - the point is not capped by any of them, the ballance is 0, the same goes with 2 and 2 as well as 3 and 3
If there's 2 and 1 ship - the point is being captured 1/2 slower
If there's 3 and 1 ship - the point is being captured 1/3 slower
If there's 3 and 2 ship - the point is being captured 2/3 slower
You get the idea I guess. Of course this is just hipothetical idea I came up with.

Let me know what do you guys think about this.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 08:49:09 pm by Mr.Disaster »

Offline Dutch Vanya

• Salutes: 107
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
Re: Endless CK matches - never again (please) !
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2014, 08:35:32 pm »
Both good ideas, i approve. I've suggested something similar to your second suggestion before.

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 284
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2014, 12:58:53 pm »
Since the premise is that you are picking up resources (as points) at each hill, my thoughts were completely different in how to solve long matches.

As it is right now, the best strat is to cap a point, then hold the enemy there without killing them (Lame Ship Strategy) as one of your ships runs to the next point. If both teams get there at the same time, no points are awarded. This combination is what draws the battles out so long.

My suggestion is that you ALWAYS get points for having ships on the hill. 1 point per second per ship you have on the hill. 1 point per second if you have the hill captured. So, even if no one takes the hill, and you have 3 ships on the point, you are getting three points per second. If you capture the point and have three ships on it, you are getting 4 points per second. However, the enemy can still get points by having ships on the hill.

Example 1:

Red captures the point and has 2 ships holding. That means they get 3 points per second.

Blue attacks that point with all three ships. This means they have 3 ships on the point, so they also get 3 points per second.

Example 2:

Red and Blue fight over an uncaptured point.

Red has 2 ships there, for 2 points per second.

Blue once again has 3 ships on the active hill, for 3 points per second.

In the end, artificial time limits would not be necessary, and matches would go much faster. The 'Lame ship' strategy would no longer be valid. Scores could be nail-biting-white-knuckle-grip without people starting to quit out of boredom. High skill teams could still win without being 'beat by the clock', as in the time limit suggestion. I suppose the game mode might have to be renamed to something like 'Occupy the Hill', or maybe make this Resource Race v2.0.

Offline Milevan Faent

• Salutes: 15
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2014, 01:15:43 pm »
One of the biggest issues with CK imo is that you can't really KILL the enemy or you're just helping them. Perhaps there are ways to fix that? Then more strategies are opened up.

Offline Hoja Lateralus

• [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2014, 07:50:33 pm »
Richard LeMoon, I think that your solution may be too extreme to the other side - matches would be too quick. But hell, it's still better alternative than riddiculously long matches that we have now.

Milevan Faent Yeah, it's common that in really bad situation captain says "Just let us die and respawn, we'll be taking the next point", maybe changing spawning points a bit could be some kind of solution here.

Offline sparklerfish

• Salutes: 124
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
    • DJ mixes and original tracks on SoundCloud
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2014, 08:06:53 pm »
I approve of all of these suggestions.  I don't know which I like best, but pretty much ALL of them are miles better than those hour-long marathon crazy king matches.  A+

Offline macmacnick

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 121
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile: Macmacnick
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2014, 08:37:40 pm »
I like the hour long CK matches occasionally. They're perfect for engineer achievements and killing achievements.

Offline Sprayer

• Salutes: 14
    • [SPQR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2014, 02:30:44 am »
I dislike the stats of the second idea of the opening post. Leaving enemies alive at the point should be punished more than just decreasing the capture speed to [our ships - their ships]. How about 2[our ships - their ships]/3. So you only have 2/3 capture speed of one ship if you have two ships at the point and the enemy one and so forth.

Also like Richards idea a lot, that would defenitely serve to reduce the playtime of Crazy King matches.

Offline Hoja Lateralus

• [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2014, 06:33:18 am »
I dislike the stats of the second idea of the opening post. Leaving enemies alive at the point should be punished more than just decreasing the capture speed to [our ships - their ships]. How about 2[our ships - their ships]/3. So you only have 2/3 capture speed of one ship if you have two ships at the point and the enemy one and so forth.

Yeah, I also considered it, those may be better stats.

I like the hour long CK matches occasionally. They're perfect for engineer achievements and killing achievements.
Yeah, occasionally. Many times I've seen lobby half-emptied in the matter of seconds after seing that map is Crazy King.

Offline Hoja Lateralus

• [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2014, 03:54:16 pm »
So I asked the Devs about it and Howard said it's actually a good idea to set some kind of time limit. Sending e-mail with the forum thread and tl;dr version to Muse soon.