Author Topic: Fun and hilarity  (Read 12417 times)

Offline UglyRyu

• Salutes: 2
    • View Profile
Fun and hilarity
« on: August 29, 2014, 03:04:28 pm »
Hi all. Having a lot of fun playing this game the last two weeks. Mostly as an engineer to learn the
The ship layouts and not be too useless. Took me the first  50 matches to get to the stage where I'm
Not doing idiotic things at the absolutely wrong times. Still seem to fall off the squid everytime I'm on it.
That ship needs some hand rails for the old guys like me. Of course if it did, I'd be catching the wheels
Of my walker on them for the same result I guess..

The voice chat can be hilarious sometimes. I think if I was a comedy writer, voice chat would be a goldmine of material. On the novice matches anyway.

Being pilot is good times too but I was without a mic up until yesterday so don't unless nobody seek wants to.

One final note... Whoever put the vanilla get off the helm button right next to the acceleration/ deceleration button is a bad bad person. I've thought of you many times in free fall before it all goes black. Thanks for the lulz.

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
Re: Fun and hilarity
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2014, 05:49:39 pm »
Glad you are having fun. The shenanigans only get better once you venture out into the non Novice games and introduce yourself to the community. Don't worry you won't be the only one running about randomly as the ship catches fire.

Offline UglyRyu

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2014, 06:13:01 pm »
Thanks Hamster! Running around less randomly than I was.

Hoping to drag some other Uglies into this game. Not a clan,
Just a group of friends who've been playing games together
For....a long time. I sent some of them copies of the game last week
And hoping this weekend to introduce them to GOI.

Offline sparklerfish

• Salutes: 124
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
    • DJ mixes and original tracks on SoundCloud
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2014, 06:55:20 pm »
One final note... Whoever put the vanilla get off the helm button right next to the acceleration/ deceleration button is a bad bad person. I've thought of you many times in free fall before it all goes black. Thanks for the lulz.

I remapped my throttle to left/right mouse buttons and my life improved a lot.  Highly recommend it.

Offline UglyRyu

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2014, 07:57:59 pm »
I'm left handed so all the helm controls are now on the number pad with the "jump off the helm" button safely out of the way but still easy to get to. Kind of funny that I can't remember the exact key! Mouse is for smackin' stuff and zooming in. Just the way my motor memory works.

I might try it on the mouse tonight though since it couldn't hurt to try. Thanks for the suggestion Sparklerfish.

Offline sparklerfish

• Salutes: 124
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
    • DJ mixes and original tracks on SoundCloud
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2014, 09:11:47 pm »
No prob!  Hope it's helpful!  I, too, used to find myself accidentally jumping off the helm and plummeting off the ship all the time... whoopsies.

Offline redria

• Salutes: 136
    • [OVW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2014, 10:36:27 am »
Strongly recommend binding your acceleration to your scroll wheel instead of mouse buttons - it leaves your mouse buttons available for clicking things, and "scroll forwards to accelerate" is amazingly intuitive.

You just have to bind your tools to a variety of accessible buttons for it to work. ^.^

Offline AbbyTheRat

• Salutes: 52
    • [◉‿◉]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2014, 11:07:57 am »
I agree with redria, I have done the same thing, with trottle being on my scroll on the mouse. The rest of the buttons is more related to "captain's talk/crew talk/TS,rumble/talk" with the exception of captain's target.

Offline Goldenglade

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 47
    • [Grim]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2014, 11:25:54 am »
I'm left handed so all the helm controls are now on the number pad with the "jump off the helm" button safely out of the way but still easy to get to. Kind of funny that I can't remember the exact key! Mouse is for smackin' stuff and zooming in. Just the way my motor memory works.

I might try it on the mouse tonight though since it couldn't hurt to try. Thanks for the suggestion Sparklerfish.

all my helm controlss are on th emouse.

Offline shaelyn

• Salutes: 73
    • [◉‿◉]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2014, 01:51:46 pm »
hey, welcome to the game and the community, Ugly!  glad you're enjoying the game.  stick around; it only gets better :)

Strongly recommend binding your acceleration to your scroll wheel instead of mouse buttons - it leaves your mouse buttons available for clicking things, and "scroll forwards to accelerate" is amazingly intuitive.

You just have to bind your tools to a variety of accessible buttons for it to work. ^.^

oooooooh.  redria, I've got to try this, thanks for suggesting it.  I abandon the helm a lot when trying to accelerate on the rare occasion that I pilot XD

Offline macmacnick

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 121
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile: Macmacnick
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2014, 12:49:10 am »
...I need a better mouse. with more than 2 buttons and a scroll wheel, so that I can bind them to tools and other crap. otherwise I'm going to mess around with Chinese drivers again and probably BSoD half the time, whenever some cable comes slightly loose (on my pc of course, not on my mac...)

Offline GeoRmr

• Salutes: 178
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
    • Storm Ryders
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2014, 09:43:26 am »
I'm looking to buy one of these and then rig my key-binds to it.

Offline AbbyTheRat

• Salutes: 52
    • [◉‿◉]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2014, 12:15:08 pm »
Now there's an idea.. o_o

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 284
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2014, 01:48:28 pm »
Get a Makey Makey and build one yourself.

Offline UglyRyu

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2014, 05:36:31 pm »
Spent a lot of time this weekend flying the unfriendly skies of Goi. Having made 4th level
Engineer I can't play on the novice matches anymore. Not that I see that as a bad thing! I
Thought I'd miss the clown car appeal of the novice matches. Pleasantly surprised that it continues!
Not going to name any names but funny highlights this weekend.

The pilot's who never put the balloon in reverse, drive into every obstacle they can or can't see
Then proceed to blame their crew for not keeping up with repairs! Wth!? LoL!  These guys are great for
Practicing how fast you can get every component back in operation. Not fully repaired as they will never give you time for that before their crashing full speed into something else.

The pilot who attempted to give us the inspiring speech at the beginning of the match, until rudely interrupted by the enemy balloons. I'm not sure that he actually did cut the speech short as I had stopped listening and started shooting. Oh yeah! Then after the first death telling us how we were doomed to die in a fire for the rest of the match after that.

Not that I'm any better really. One match forgetting to change the mid range load out on my pyramidion, but being convinced I had, then proceeding to try and keep it at close range until one of the crew just gave up and quit. Not even a rage quit...just said sadly" I can't do this anymore..."
Apologies are due there.

I also got to play with a ton of great pilots and crew.  I will name the SPQR as being a
Classy bunch of folks to fly around with!