Author Topic: Should we report unresponsive players?  (Read 13502 times)

Offline Hoja Lateralus

• Salutes: 135
    • [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
Should we report unresponsive players?
« on: August 18, 2014, 09:43:44 pm »
Basically what title says. Recently I had a situation with a lvl2 crew member on the same ship - she was a gunner, she didn't bring the right ammo, she didn't respond to anything (standard chat, voice-chat, private message procedure) but we decided to play anyway. In the game when told on voicechat "[Nick] front guns!" she actually did go to front guns. So the question is - in such teamwork-oriented game should we report people who, on one hand are at least mildly irritating (we have to suck it up or change the lobby, basically), on the other hand, may just be unable to respond, for example because of language barier.

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
Re: Should we report unresponsive players?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2014, 10:00:24 pm »
I'd only report if they do things that are clearly trolling. Problem is sometimes the person doesn't have audio on or has the game muted so they can have their music blasting. It is annoying but it happens. Then other times, yeah language barrier issues.

I used to run with the Japanese players every now and then. While I know some Japanese, its not enough to really converse. So I'd just keep English or Japanese words to being simple 1 or 2 words. One of them who knew English commented that helped the most cause they had basic knowledge like me so they could figure out orders/etc from just a single word or two.

For everything else, block list ftw.

Offline pandatopia

• Salutes: 15
    • [OVW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2014, 10:40:44 am »
Yea it is frustrating and unfortunate to run into unresponsive players, but they have every right to play just like the rest of us.

Voice communication is not a required part of gameplay, nor is reading the chat either.

Just use your blocklist and don't play with them.

Offline The Sky Wolf

• Salutes: 43
    • [Wolƒ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2014, 01:10:32 am »
How about a player rating?

+2 Very helpful
+1 Helpful
-1 Not helpful
-2 Very unhelpful

"Olde Grim Jack's player rating is -115"

Then every captain can see the rating on people's score cards and decide if he wants them aboard his ship.

Offline sparklerfish

• Salutes: 124
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
    • DJ mixes and original tracks on SoundCloud
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2014, 02:03:58 am »
What about making the number of commendations a player has received public?  If someone has played 100 matches and only received 10 commendations that'd make it pretty clear they're not a team player.  I pretty much always commend people unless they've done something fairly heinous to disrupt the game, including being willfully unresponsive and trolly.

Offline Imagine

• Salutes: 59
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch Stream
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2014, 02:07:33 am »

+2 Very helpful
+1 Helpful
-1 Not helpful
-2 Very unhelpful

Then every captain can see the rating on people's score cards and decide if he wants them aboard his ship.
From previous conversations, Muse folks don't like the idea of negative marks.

Offline Dutch Vanya

• Salutes: 107
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2014, 07:54:24 am »
What about making the number of commendations a player has received public?  If someone has played 100 matches and only received 10 commendations that'd make it pretty clear they're not a team player.  I pretty much always commend people unless they've done something fairly heinous to disrupt the game, including being willfully unresponsive and trolly.
Commendations relative to matches played wont look good if you always play with the same people. I don't think that can really work.

Offline sparklerfish

• [Clan]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2014, 01:47:27 pm »
Hmmm... That's a good point.  Maybe a way to track commendation percentage?  As it stands I don't really see the point of commendations.

Offline Yarr Vinny Scarr

• Salutes: 7
    • [♛]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2014, 06:32:35 pm »
Hmmm... That's a good point.  Maybe a way to track commendation percentage?  As it stands I don't really see the point of commendations.

Achievements :D

Offline sparklerfish

• [Clan]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2014, 06:55:09 pm »
Yeah, there are the citizenship achievements, but you can't see which players you've commended and which ones you haven't until after a match, nor see what citizenship level someone has achieved, so it's not really an effective way to keep track of sportmanlike players you wish to continue playing with.

Offline Hoja Lateralus

• [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2014, 07:18:07 pm »

+2 Very helpful
+1 Helpful
-1 Not helpful
-2 Very unhelpful

Then how about
+2 Very helpful
+1 Helpful
+0 No Grade / Not Helpful
And show the average of all grades, so from 0 to 2.0

On the other hand it complicates things because we already have commendation system, which is pretty straightforward; I either want someone on my ship or not. Maybe counter of commendations and every match with someone we already have recommendation from also counts as recommendations - which solves the problem of flying with the same people.

Also - thing to think about - do we count recommendations as a player or as a role? Captains can potentially get a lot more recommendations (they get at least (!) +3 potential recommendations per match; from friendly and enemy captains). Then lvl9 captain playing as lvl4 engineer could seem much more attractive than experienced lvl10 or higher engineer.

Another suggestion, make Citizen badges harder to get (as suggested here https://gunsoficarus.com/community/forum/index.php/topic,4646.0.html) and make us see Citizen level indicator next to the nick. Just bronze/silver/gold dot will do the trick.

Offline sparklerfish

• [Clan]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2014, 07:21:35 pm »
Another suggestion, make Citizen badges harder to get (as suggested here https://gunsoficarus.com/community/forum/index.php/topic,4646.0.html) and make us see Citizen level indicator next to the nick. Just bronze/silver/gold dot will do the trick.

I really like this idea.  I got my gold citizenship badge within a few weeks of playing the game.  The citizenship achievements would be more meaningful if they were harder to get, and maybe got progressively harder as the level of achievement got higher (i.e., easy to get bronze, harder to get silver, and really hard to get gold).  Being able to see citizenship level would also be great.

Offline Goldenglade

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 47
    • [Grim]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2014, 12:10:18 am »
If you're having issues with a player and feel that it's not report worthy you can send an e-mail to Abuse@musegames.com And the devs will look into the player and see if it's a trend.

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2014, 04:00:29 am »
I'm completely fine with there being a negative rating. However, just make it so the rating gets refreshed and aren't permanent.

Offline Hoja Lateralus

• [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2014, 06:35:59 am »
I'm completely fine with there being a negative rating. However, just make it so the rating gets refreshed and aren't permanent.

This tackles a lot bigger problem; let's say, being responsible for our actions and feeling the consequences. For instance not many people has the strenght to check every person's percentage of completed games and we can end up with someone who will leave the game after the first death - and we can't do much about it. Well, of course block, report, relocate but maybe if someone hits 50% completed games he/she should be somehow punished or at least stigmatised? Say, a black dot (in place of "Citizen dot" mentioned in my previous post) shouting out "I LEAVE GAMES".

The citizenship achievements would be more meaningful if they were harder to get, and maybe got progressively harder as the level of achievement got higher (i.e., easy to get bronze, harder to get silver, and really hard to get gold).  Being able to see citizenship level would also be great.

Exactly. Sadly, as you see I made it a thread and no one really cared.