Author Topic: The TimmyB Tournament- starting August 23rd!  (Read 32659 times)

Offline Byron Cavendish

• Salutes: 89
    • [TB]
    • View Profile
    • The Brotherhood
The TimmyB Tournament- starting August 23rd!
« on: July 31, 2014, 07:15:25 pm »
Introduction:

With great honor, I present the TimmyB tournament. This tournament was originally conceived and designed by Timmy Blumer, a.k.a. TimmyB. On March 16, he succumbed to the brain cancer he had been battling. In loving memory a coalition of players came together (B’Elanna, Byron Cavendish, Caylin, Ed Gauss, Zuka, Foxx, Leto) to help see his project finished. Rob and Dan have graciously offered to cast the event.

This tournament was designed by Timmy as a way to bring the competitive players closer together as a community. It is meant to be fun and friendly.

Basics:
-Weekly event, every Saturday at 3pm EST starting August 23rd!
-3v3
-6 weeks
-mixed teams
-”ranked” ships (3 teirs)
-mixer, opportunity to meet new people
-themed weeks

Points and Ranking:
Progress and victory will be achieved by earning points for your team. Each week, cumulative points will be earned by 4-man crew teams. The team with the highest amount of points at the end of the tournament will be the winners, with second and third achieving silver and bronze. Prizes and badges will be awarded accordingly.

Teams:
Teams will not be comprised of the traditional 8-man setup. Instead, every week teams of 4 (a single ship) will sign up as their own entity. Ships must sign-up every week by Wednesday at midnight EST. Teams may miss a week, but they will not earn any points for weeks missed.

The individual teams will then be paired with a set of allies for that week.

The teams will be randomized so that each ship will play with somebody new each week if possible.

The teams will be balanced to to be as equal in points possible, by adding each ship’s points towards a common number, i.e. each team needs to be no more more than 15 points.

Stronger ships will be paired with weaker ships.

After sign-ups have closed, the pairings will be announced so that the teams may meet and discuss their strategy.

Weekly Event Format:
The weekly events for the tournament will take place every Saturday at 3pm EST. Every week will be a 3v3, and the amount of matches will be determined by the amount of games necessarily to exhibit every team that signs up.

Week 1
-Points: winner: 10, loser: 1(0-1 kills), 2(2-3 kills), 3(4-5 kills), 5(6 kills)
-3v3 death match maps (canyon ambush, water hazard, firnfield, fjords)
-30 minutes with overtime rules (Urz mode)

Week 2
-Points: winner: 10, loser: 1(0-20%), 2(21-50%), 3(51-75%), 5(76-99%)
- 3v3crazy king maps (anglean raiders, raid on the refinery)
-intentional suicides will be penalized based off of judge rule, by losing 1 point.

Week 3
-Points: winner: 10, loser: 5(second place), 3(third place), 1(fourth-sixth place)
-squid races (Canyon ambush, Raid on the refinery)
-no guns allowed other than: harpoons, flares
-ramming allowed
-win by following and hitting the necessary checkpoints (further details to come)
-ram kills gives a bonus points

Week 4
-Points: winner: 10, loser: 1(0-1 kills), 2(2-3 kills), 3(4-5 kills), 5(6 kills)
-random ship draw deathmatch (canyon ambush, water hazard, firnfield, fjords)
-numbers assigned to each gun, rolled on a d(x)
D8 for ships, D4 for heavy guns, D12 for light guns
you get 1 re-roll (gun, not ship)

Week 5
-all spire tournament throwback deathmatch (canyon ambush, water hazard, firnfield, fjords)
-same rules as week 1 just with a ship restriction
-every spire on one team must use a different heavy weapon.

Week 6 Finale
-Points: Points are granted via the pool betting system, a "Jeopardy" mix up.

-a massive pool of random events, not part of the week system will be put together, and each match will be taken from that pool at random.

-special point betting system. 20% of everyone’s points are taken from them and pooled in a reward pot to be slip between all of the winning team. any member can choose to ‘raise’ their % put into the pool by 10%, forcing all other teams to either match or fold, if they match, they add their extra 10% to the pool, if they fold they don’t put any more points into the pool, but can’t claim back their previously placed % and the pool is only split between those that didn't fold on victory. the amount placed can keep being raised by 10%, up to a maximum of 80%.

Extra Points:
Throughout the event there will be a secret list of actions or events that teams may unlock for extra points. Most will be secret, but some will be public, or revealed the week of the event, such as best shot of the week.

If you are interested in paying your respects to the amazing man that was Timmy, please check out these threads:
http://www.tributes.com/obituary/show/Timothy-M.-Blumer-100953468
https://donate.cancer.org/index?campaign=tributes1&dn=mem&fn=Timothy&ln=Blumer

« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 07:23:09 pm by Byron Cavendish »

Offline Gibbs

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 1
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
Re: The TimmyB Tournament- starting August 23rd!
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2014, 01:00:10 am »
First of all I want to thank all the people who are putting this together. The fact that this community is so fantastic that we can do something like this is amazing. I never personally met Timmy but I wish I had. Everyone involved in setting this up is awesome.

Secondly the tournament looks very well thought out and fun. I believe the different types of matches and the different format of the tournament will be and interesting and fun addition to the competitive play. I hope to participate if we can get a cake ship (maybe more) put together. Thanks so much for putting this together and I'm really looking forward to it. :D

Offline Wundsalz

• Salutes: 72
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2014, 01:44:48 am »
Interesting events - looking forward to participate :)
-intentional suicides will be penalized based off of judge rule, by losing 1 point.

two requests though:
1.) what about a substitute player for each team? Especially if you plan to participate in all 6 events with the same team, keeping all 4 team members available over 6 weeks might proof to be difficult.
2.) I dislike this CK-Rule: "-intentional suicides will be penalized based off of judge rule, by losing 1 point." Imo tactical suicides are an essential part of ck matches. Also I think this rule is hard to enforce, as there is a quite large grey area that's hard to judge by a 3rd party. Stuff like rams without hull, "unfortunate" bounces into structure while chasing down an enemy, or simply half-hearted hull and/or balloon repairs.

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2014, 02:02:27 am »

2.) I dislike this CK-Rule: "-intentional suicides will be penalized based off of judge rule, by losing 1 point." Imo tactical suicides are an essential part of ck matches. Also I think this rule is hard to enforce, as there is a quite large grey area that's hard to judge by a 3rd party. Stuff like rams without hull, "unfortunate" bounces into structure while chasing down an enemy, or simply half-hearted hull and/or balloon repairs.

Heh heh...*whistles innocently*

Seriously tho...thumbs up Byron. I'll poll our guys. See what churns up.

Offline Byron Cavendish

• [TB]
    • View Profile
    • The Brotherhood
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2014, 03:30:17 am »

two requests though:
1.) what about a substitute player for each team? Especially if you plan to participate in all 6 events with the same team, keeping all 4 team members available over 6 weeks might proof to be difficult.

As long as the team name is the same, and it is representing the same group of players, it really doesn't matter to me who the four are. It won't be super strict like that.

The judging will be fair. If we see something like a full health ship running into a mountain that will be a bit silly and greedy for the spirit of this competition. Winning isn't the ultimate goal, it's to have a great experience. We won't be heavy handed with the judging.

Offline Dementio

• Salutes: 135
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2014, 07:26:37 am »
The judging will be fair. If we see something like a full health ship running into a mountain that will be a bit silly and greedy for the spirit of this competition. Winning isn't the ultimate goal, it's to have a great experience. We won't be heavy handed with the judging.

What if engines and balloon are down, the enemy is leaving you while going for the next point and you are stuck in the middle of nowhere? It won't be a fun experience trying to rebuild everything and slowly crawling back into the fight, especially not if the point is already captured by then.

Offline NallyNally

• [SPQR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2014, 09:31:19 am »
Uhm, while it does seem like a lot of fun, the whole thing just should be unranked in order to keep rage levels in check. It's very chaotic, it has random matchmaking on a competitive environment, it has random events giving extra points...

We all know competitive play can be demanding, time consuming and stressful. Having prizes is a neat idea and I'm all for it, but the lower the stakes are in this particular tournament, the better, in my opinion. So it won't become rage fuel. And the odds of people calling foul play on this are out the roof, man.

Offline Byron Cavendish

• [TB]
    • View Profile
    • The Brotherhood
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2014, 09:43:31 am »
That is why the particular prize details were not posted. The particular extra points were not posted. I understand your concern, but don't look at it from a competitive few point, of "must win at all costs". This is an event to bring crews of different teams together in a fun, crazy way. You guys just wrapped up HC, and after this will be a long fall of super competitive MLG events. This can be a fun change of pace if you let it be. Winning is the icing, not the goal. Let go and have fun with it!

Offline NallyNally

• [SPQR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2014, 10:00:52 am »
If it's a tournament and it's even half serious, there are gonna be people who want to win it. And if it's not half serious, then it's not really a tournament.  :-\

I can see you mean well with it and wish you the best of luck, though. Hope it ends up as something fun that people will remember fondly and not a dark hour for the community.  :D

Offline Thomas

• Salutes: 80
    • [SPQR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2014, 11:11:06 am »
I kind of agree with The Valz. While it does seem like a very fun event, putting it in a tournament form with prizes (and exclusive badges no less) makes it competitive. I would recommend doing away with the exclusive badges, or giving them to all the players who participated. Costume prizes for the winners should be fine, as most competitive players won't take it as seriously and are more likely to just have fun with it.

On the other hand, if you want to keep the competitive nature by offering exclusive prizes, there should not be a vague and potentially biased system for extra points. They could be announced before the event, but they should always be known. Having a secret list for extra points in a competitive (or semi-competitive) setting could lead to a lot of drama.

But overall it looks like a very fun event, and you'll definitely be seeing a Holy team or two present.

Offline Byron Cavendish

• [TB]
    • View Profile
    • The Brotherhood
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2014, 11:18:17 am »
Some of the secret points will be announced the week of the event, or after they are performed. Others will require players to keep a keen eye out for. So there is already a bit of both, as you asked. Keep in mind that the extra points are meant to be silly in nature. Many a drunken hour betweem myself and the tournament committee was put into coming up with them.

There will be a participation badge, and a gold badge. It was important to me (as it was important to Timmy) that everyone gets recognized for participating as a community.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 11:20:03 am by Byron Cavendish »

Offline Sammy B. T.

• Salutes: 154
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2014, 11:18:54 am »
You've taken six weeks of Saturday primetime. People are going to take it seriously which is a shame as goio doesn't work well when ships on the same team have incentive to work for themselves.

Offline Queso

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 126
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2014, 11:20:58 am »
Question, is there a bonus bonus for XxXGOLDfish360NOXXXSCOPExXxLuMbErJaCk!xX!Xx

Offline Byron Cavendish

• [TB]
    • View Profile
    • The Brotherhood
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2014, 11:22:09 am »
+1 points to museosaurus! :D

Offline Queso

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 126
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2014, 11:22:55 am »
Wait, I was going to fly with the Black Cloaks though!