Author Topic: Repair Sweet Spot  (Read 8273 times)

Offline Spud Nick

• Salutes: 130
    • [✦✦45]
    • View Profile
Repair Sweet Spot
« on: July 18, 2014, 02:52:44 pm »
Hitting a component at a certain angle will repair that component faster or with more HP. The component icon will change color when you are at the sweet spot. Your Thoughts below.

Offline Neithrantulre

• Salutes: 8
    • [KNEE]
    • View Profile
Re: Repair Sweet Spot
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2014, 03:04:44 pm »
If the sweet spot is accessible on most ships, then this would nerf the Junker proportionately to how much the sweet spot matters. Engineers and Pilots have the easiest time repairing the Balloon from below it, and the Armor is repaired from below at least 40% of the time. Several ships do not allow you full access around every component, and usually allow different angles. For example Pyra side engines are impossible to get in front of, but Squid side engines and Goldfish back engine are ONLY accessible from the front.

To be balanced you would necessarily have different sweet spots for every component on every ship and it would require a lot of memorization to be an effective engineer, or you would have to tweak every ship so that even with the impossible sweet spots, they are all viable. If you did option 2, then you would probably still make it so that the best strategy to repair certain components would be to jump off the ship to get a good angle before plummeting and respawning.

There certainly are ways to make the engineer's job more interesting, but I'm skeptical that this is the best way.

Offline Neithrantulre

• Salutes: 8
    • [KNEE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2014, 03:08:45 pm »
I would prefer a timing sweet spot to a spatial one, so that it is less effective to spam mallet when the component is on cooldown, and better to wait until it just finishes for a 10% repair boost or something. Repair bonus would increase over time to around 10% and drop to 0% bonus every time you click regardless of if it actually did anything.

Offline Crafeksterty

• Salutes: 73
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2014, 03:10:17 pm »
I like this idea but it adds this new mechanic to engineering.

Like, we have the objective to repair the components on the end of each cooldown.
Would be nice if the sweet spot would rather be a 15 or 10% more repair reward for repairing a component within one second after its cooldown.

Buffing the spanner, buffing desperate repairing, buffing skilled engineers that are very good with cooldowns.

Having a sweet spot adds a hitbox, the targeting may be buggy. We will end up in situations where i clearly hit the sweet spot but no effect from it came out of it.
Or atleast thats what i expect.

Offline Omniraptor

• Salutes: 51
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2014, 08:51:42 pm »
I agree, gears-style timing sweet spot would be nice.

Offline Sammy B. T.

• Salutes: 154
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2014, 10:03:43 pm »
Bad idea imo. Good engineers should be rewarded for juggling many components as fast as possible, not rewarded for camping components.

Offline -Mad Maverick-

• Salutes: 30
    • [WOLF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2014, 10:28:45 pm »
where did you read "camping"? I read "aiming"

Offline Spud Nick

• [✦✦45]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2014, 01:04:52 am »
I like the idea of the cool down bonus. If you time that mallet hit perfectly after a cool down you get a repair bonus. I can see this being useful when you rebuild the hull or balloon.

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2014, 02:49:09 am »
If it comes with a buff to piloting then I'm for it. Game needs to go back to being a duel of pilots, not of engineering teams.

Offline Spud Nick

• [✦✦45]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2014, 04:00:39 am »
If it comes with a buff to piloting then I'm for it. Game needs to go back to being a duel of pilots, not of engineering teams.

It's more about enhancing the engineering game.

Offline obliviondoll

• Salutes: 26
    • [BSky]
    • View Profile
    • obliviondoll's blog (barely-maintained)
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2014, 05:56:12 am »
Aim-based would only work if there were multiple sweet spots on each component, or if the sweet spot was designated independently for each component on each ship, since the different layouts and positioning of components would otherwise render a single fixed-location sweet spot a direct buff to ships where the sweet spot is easy to reach, and a nerf to ships where it's hard (or impossible) to get to.

Timing-based would only work if it's entirely handled client-side, which opens it up to being hacked/modded for unfair advantage, or if there's a relatively wide window for it, which would reward anyone who's remotely close to the right timing, make it the norm instead of a skill-based trick. Timing-based would also be difficult to balance with other players helping with repairs, unless the cooldown was displayed on-screen for any part that's visible.

On top of that, to avoid upsetting the balance of engineering, it would need to be a very small bonus - 5% seems reasonable to me, even 10% might end up feeling like too much. Or each tool could have a different "critical repair" bonus - maybe 2% on the Spanner because it's meant to be bad at repairs anyway, with 3 to 5% on the Mallet where a single hit would normally fall JUST short of a full repair and this might take it all the way, and the Wrench could take a small nerf to repair efficiency, but with a "massive" 10% critical bonus, making it a more skill-based repair tool without changing its "jack of all trades" role.