Author Topic: Character Loadouts and Positioning  (Read 6018 times)

Offline Sheemap

• Salutes: 0
    • View Profile
Character Loadouts and Positioning
« on: June 29, 2014, 10:10:53 pm »
Heyhey everyone! I am pretty new to the game, and Ive been working on being a pilot/captain. I have the majority of stuff down as far as flying stuff goes, but there are a few things I really need help on. Two are listed in the title.

Firstly, character loadouts. I have engineered around high level captains ships to see how they captain. A lot of them have really good communication and ask their crew to bring certain ammo, and for engis, to bring certain tools. My question is, how am I supposed to know what the best items are to use against the enemies. When is it optimal to use chem spray over the default extinguisher? What types of ammo are good against what types of ship? (Or good with what guns?) Ive tried to search around the forums, but havent found much on the subject. If any of you guys could give me tips, that would be fantabulous!

Secondly, positioning. I have been flying Pyra and Galleon a lot recently. Galleon I have mostly down, so I dont need a ton of help with that, but I would love tips. I run a sniper type build with carronades and hwacha on the right side if they get close. But my real trouble is the Pyra. My build with that ship has a gat with mortar up top. Flamer and light carronade on the side. Side guns are hardly used though. When I engage, I either completely destroy them, or get destroyed. I assume that is because of my angle of approach. But which angle is the best to approach from? I usually try to hide in the clouds and come in fast with kerosine on their last powerful side of the ship im attacking. But that is pretty hard to do. They always see me moving in behind them, or the spot doesnt get lost in the cloud. Is there a better way to approach them? Or should I just keep attempting to maneuver around to their weak spot without being seen? Any tips for this or any subject involving the game would be very much appreciated.

Thanks a ton in advance guys!

Offline GreyTea

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 54
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
Re: Character Loadouts and Positioning
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2014, 03:16:55 am »
Hi sheemap,

Firstly here is a link to help with all your pyra needs https://gunsoficarus.com/community/forum/index.php/topic,3222.msg55025.html#msg55025

Secondly here is some engineering guides though a little out of date perhaps someone is writing something up,
https://gunsoficarus.com/community/forum/index.php/topic,104.0.html part 1
https://gunsoficarus.com/community/forum/index.php/topic,131.0.html part 2

as for ammo on what gun

https://gunsoficarus.com/community/forum/index.php/topic,3987.0.html this is one of the best gunner guides out there.

They might give you some more insight some quick tips though

Standard loadout is mallet spanner extingusher
Buff Loadout is wrench buff chem

when on a pyra you can hit main engine from underneath,

when on the junker you can hit the hull from underneath by looking up and standing on the right hand side,

when on a squid bring wrench buff chem even as main engineer,

when on a spire..pray it largely depends on captain skill, the hull and main engine can be easily maintained with a wrench spanner chem, bottom deck is balloon so make sure you have a mallet,

galleon standard kit for main buff for bottom deck and you can hit all 3 engines from the gun deck by doing a little jump on to the ledge and looking up.

As for Chem spray when taking it, you start with one part and finish at the same within 20 seconds rotation. so learn the fastest way to get around your part of the ship. i,e pyra it is same as repair, it will start a 3 second cooldown and make the part immune for 20 seconds, you can use it to put out up to 3 stacks of fire,

Hope this helps

Kind regards and Safe Skies

Grey T

Offline Sammy B. T.

• Salutes: 154
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2014, 10:13:28 am »

Don't you mean "only as main engineer" no point in having the other crew with that loadout.

The reason for that loadout is the armor on the squid is so low that if you use the rubber mallet on the armor you over repair meaning you have an excessive cool down that makes your repair less effective. However, balloon, guns, and engines have the same across all ships so a mallet is still great to have for the non hull engineers.

Offline Alistair MacBain

• Salutes: 23
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2014, 10:32:31 am »
Well id generally say use wrench spanner chem as main engi on squid.
I agree that theres no point in having the mallet for squid hull but u still want the spanner for fast hull rebuilds cause thats where the tankyness of a squid comes from.

Offline NallyNally

• Salutes: 1
    • [SPQR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2014, 10:59:26 am »
My guide covers most of this stuff! You can find it by shift tabbing in game, it's usually there!

Offline Wundsalz

• Salutes: 72
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2014, 11:09:28 am »

Don't you mean "only as main engineer" no point in having the other crew with that loadout.

The reason for that loadout is the armor on the squid is so low that if you use the rubber mallet on the armor you over repair meaning you have an excessive cool down that makes your repair less effective. However, balloon, guns, and engines have the same across all ships so a mallet is still great to have for the non hull engineers.
Imo the wrench/spanner loadout for the squid is way overrated. A mallet allows you to maintain engines and the balloon way more efficiently and a wrench whack actually doesn't fully repair the hull-armor. While the mallet overrepairs a bit the additional cooldown is only relevant if the squid is still under attack after the rebuild. If that's the case your hull will likely break again anyway before an additional wrench or mallet whack can be applied. I personally prefer the standard spanner mallet combo over spanner wrench on a squid.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 11:21:44 am by Wundsalz »