Author Topic: Anime Discussions?  (Read 143904 times)

Offline ShadedExalt

• Salutes: 76
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
Re: Anime Discussions?
« Reply #105 on: January 05, 2015, 08:47:44 pm »
I see your Lily and I raise a...HANAKO!!

Oh I agree,  I love Hanako almost as much as Lilly.  She's just so adorable!  Her bad ending doe...

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 05, 2015, 11:09:37 pm »
Yeah the Hanako bad ending...I did it to get full completion, but I hated myself for doing it...should never have to see her like this:

It should be a crime for making Hanako sad!!

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• Salutes: 119
    • [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #107 on: January 05, 2015, 11:25:55 pm »
she so hot she burned?

So yeah... ghost in the shell live action movie.

Director is the dude that did snowwhite and the huntsman... and the main character is played by black widow... and unlikely to be called motoko.

Why can't hollywood do anything right? It's not that hard to do a decent ghost movie.... you've basically done it with the matrix.

Playing devil's advocate it might be the licencing fee. But that can't be right they throw so much money into comicbook movies.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 11:29:24 pm by Ceresbane »

Offline ShadedExalt

• [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 06, 2015, 12:30:23 am »
she so hot she burned?

Don't even go there.  Either play Katawa Shoujo, or apologize.

Seriously, what she went through would've messed me up for life.

• [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 06, 2015, 01:24:23 am »
she so hot she burned?

Play Katawa Shoujo and don't ask anymore dumb questions...you don't want to incur the wrath of Hanako fans.

Ghost in the Shell will suck because Hollywood is run by money, not by creative interest. They'll look at the original story, then use a few concepts but go completely off the deep end with the rest. Cut funding here and there and then end up with crap. Its how we got directors like Paul WS Anderson still working and not stung up by his thumbs somewhere for butchering Resident Evil.

Any Western take on Japan film will be terrible with few exceptions. We take the story, then twist it to what sells here. Which then gets twisted more by studios. They never keep the storyline in tact or the characters. When money rules their decisions, there is no concept of keeping a story true to it's original.

Course Japan does similar. If you've ever seen Heroman, you'll see one of the most unrealistic representations of US high school life. Its like they wanted to make a shounen show but the character age groups don't match. Kinda like there was two teams working on it. One who developed the characters, the other who developed story. Its a decent anime and a nice watch once you get past the little issues. Just gotta forget that these are supposed to be American characters. If you imagine it as a shounen show with that age group, you can stomach it.

But still, if that is their biggest offense, its pretty small in comparison to how terrible western film is.

Some animes, could be done in western live action and actually turn out not terrible. Most of them would be the ones not set in Japan. Attack on Titan, Valkyria, or probably just about any space series or fantasy show.

Offline ShadedExalt

• [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 06, 2015, 01:27:58 am »
Western Films aren't totally bad.

You ever heard of Star Wars?  Maybe Star Trek?

...Thought just hit me.  Does anyone remember Spider Riders?

• [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 06, 2015, 01:40:23 am »
Both of those series, were made back before the 90s. After the 90s, western studios stopped taking the risks on new IP like they had before. Its why we have tons of reboots and rehashes. Heck Guardians of the Galaxy almost didn't get made because they were afraid it wouldn't make the money back. Now when new movies are discussed, they don't look at the story and concept and look at it being awesome, they look at money and demographics. But will Guardians finally change the industry back? Iffy. Marvel is going wild right now cause everything with their name on it has been doing well. They're willing to take some risks. But the core stories I don't expect to change much.

Offline ShadedExalt

• [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 06, 2015, 01:46:36 am »
What about Big Hero 6?  Maybe even Frozen?  (I personally think it was a good movie, and enjoyed it the first time or two around.  Then it got old.  Also last thing on this before we derail the thread)

• [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 06, 2015, 03:16:57 am »
Frozen was horrific from a story standpoint. These guys go a bit extreme with it but many of the complaints are valid: http://youtu.be/HvwMtWkfkJ8

The original version they were going to do where Elsa goes evil actually would have been better.

Offline ShadedExalt

• [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 06, 2015, 08:03:15 am »
Frozen was horrific from a story standpoint. These guys go a bit extreme with it but many of the complaints are valid: http://youtu.be/HvwMtWkfkJ8

The original version they were going to do where Elsa goes evil actually would have been better.
I would've liked it better, too.  The thing is, I never take a Disney movie seriously.  I usually try to look at it from a child's point of view.

Also, when 'Let it Go' was composed, it completely changed the movie.  COMPLETELY.

• [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 06, 2015, 04:09:07 pm »
I just did a Netflix on it to see what the fuss was but when it ended, I too thought a bunch of the things listed. Specifically regarding the guys in the movie. It was like they engineered them early on to fill the love interest roles for both girls then turned one evil and the other suddenly had eyes for the red head. I was like...come on, he's a kid who has made a living with ice...he's perfect for Elsa's character.

But yeah, I blame that song for ruining it. Before that song the movie seemed like it was going to a better place where Elsa goes evil. Some of the lyrics still hint at the movie we could have had. Just instead of changing things to bring it back into the original concept, they left it in and made it a confusing empowerment movie. Goes to show that when you are making a film, don't change direction halfway through production.

My favorite critique of the film tho is one where they confront the parents with the trolls. The trolls tell them what not to do with Elsa to help her manage her powers and the parents reply the opposite (lock her up, keep her lonely/etc). It really exposed the core problem of the film. The parents are evil jerks. Course it also made me wish it had happened and turned Elsa evil. Even if for a time before turning good again.

Offline ShadedExalt

• [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 06, 2015, 05:44:42 pm »
The whole power of love thing might've worked.  I think I'd like your version much better.

I keep hearing things about an anime called 'Another', but I have no idea what all the fuss is about.  Do you know?

Offline Imagine

• Salutes: 59
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch Stream
« Reply #117 on: January 06, 2015, 06:03:27 pm »
The whole power of love thing might've worked.  I think I'd like your version much better.

I keep hearing things about an anime called 'Another', but I have no idea what all the fuss is about.  Do you know?
Watch it.

It's good.

High School kids die.

In horrible ways.

Totes worth.

Offline ShadedExalt

• [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 06, 2015, 07:39:14 pm »
Like, Elfen Lied horrible?

Or AoT horrible?

Edit: Oh god it's like Higurashi isn't it
« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 07:42:53 pm by ShadedExalt »

• [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: January 06, 2015, 09:02:15 pm »
It would have, turn Elsa into Vader. If she can create sentient snow monsters, she could create an army to attack the nobles. The prince guy keeps his personality and you have a Helms Deep defense going on as the snow army attacks. Then the sister and ice boy go to convince Elsa to stop. They fail the first time but it sets up a situation where he gets even more determined. The sister too joins the battle to stand against Elsa. In the end, Elsa Vader succumbs to love somehow, remembers the goodness in her. Turns away from destroying everything. Nobles that pushed her to this fate get killed or exiled. Roll traditional happy Disney ending.

Think Elfen Lied made me disinterested in horror/gore anime. Every episode went out of it's way to brutally kill or maim people. Everyone being crazy and brutalized themselves too. Reminded me of Shinji cept this would be the homicidal version of Shinji with boobs who kills and dismembers his father and Rei/Asuka. Then turns into a torso with fake arms/legs held together by powers...uggg.

Teraformars last season I watched probably a handful of episodes before I finally just had it. They'd brutally kill off characters in each episode, heavily censored. Some scenes they'd have a white box covering the entire screen it was so bad. Then they'd show flashbacks giving you reasons to care for them. I was just...no...no...I'm not going to watch a meatgrinder grind meat then be made to care for said meat after the fact.