Author Topic: Anime Discussions?  (Read 142970 times)

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• Salutes: 119
    • [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
Re: Anime Discussions?
« Reply #90 on: January 04, 2015, 10:11:23 pm »
I didn't actually mind him so much in the beginning.  Like, Wave arc.  So much POTENTIAL, SQUANDERED!

With evangelion there was a degree of unpredictability and the characters felt less artificial.

Naruto... it followed a very predictable formula.

Naruto brags about being hokage, sasuke is an emo, sakura is useless.

During an arc, bad guy appears, deus ex machina, training, main fight begins, exchange sob story, for some reason naruto wins and by "logic" naruto's idealogy and his CONSTANTLY MENTIONED BAD CHILDHOOD is the wooooooorse sob story of any character in the series because Naruto is the main character. Naruto wins because his sob story is soooooo much more tragic and it "drives" him to push harder than the bad guy.

Its this for over hundreds of freakin episodes.

Shinji is an annoying asshole, but his motivations are actually kinda understandable, even relatable (doesnt make him any less of a bitch tho-cannot emphaise that enough). Just think back to his background of abandonment, his development of a hedgehog complex, this useless cowardly kid being suddenly emotionally blackmailed into entering a life or death battle that not only for own survival but the whole of humanity.

This series is like putting a kid with a huge phobia of fire and forcing him to continually be stuck in a situation where he has to face fire or terrible things will happen to absolutely everything (iunno... the building will burn down and kill everyone inside). Shinji in that light is understandably a frustrating lil bitch. He has a fire extinguisher but he's too terrified to get close to the fire and use it.

Offline ShadedExalt

• Salutes: 76
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 04, 2015, 10:17:48 pm »
That's one of the things I liked about NGE, along with the Bio-Mechanical mecha and desperation.  I've mentioned some things I didn't like, though here's another; Asuka.  Rei was half decent, but Asuka was an absolute, stuck up, spoiled, arrogant BITCH, right to the end.  She pisses me off so bad.

I know that Naruto has an absolutely horrible format, but in the beginning, before any of that set in, it was OK.  Also, I like the universe, it's fun to play around with.  And Naruto, if tweaked right, is one of my hands down favourite crossover characters.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 10:20:28 pm by ShadedExalt »

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #92 on: January 04, 2015, 10:50:03 pm »

but... but my waifu... dat satisfying sexy times as you thottle her while you spread mayonaise all over her unconscious body.

Iunno man... Asuka is pretty much the real life example of what a tsundere would actually be. A much harsher, less obvious, highly conflicted human being than what anime portrays them.

She's that gorgeous girl you got friendzoned because she thinks she's in love with that older guy, but slowly she begins to like you and realise how despite how imperfect you are, you do appeal to her, and maybe this undaunted attraction is what love is. As opposed to this hormonal want she has with Kaji.

There's a real good reason essays are written about evangelions and analysed up the wazzo. While naruto is not.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 10:51:54 pm by Ceresbane »

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 04, 2015, 11:14:21 pm »
I've liked some episodes but ultimately I'm a Kakashi fan. Some of the fillers when they let another studio handle the story was also very good. The art style changed and it made Naruto fresh again. But overall the entire anime is 70% filler and flashbacks. Shippuden I'd say has been even more. They flashback or fill for everything and its freaken insane.

Another factor with Naruto is, he actually grows up and changes. Things affect him and he doesn't spout idealistic nonsense all the time. Probably part due to it being a battle anime. It allows the show to venture in directions which others shy away from.

Am happy with the ending tho. Naruto and Hinata is the pairing I predicted when they introed Hinata's character. Honestly could not stand Sakura. She's never useful in the original anime except in rare occasions and she acts like a groupie to Sasuke the rest of the time. Only in Shippuden does she finally start being less annoying and actually fights.

It became clear to me they were for sure going to go with Hinata back on the Pain arc. The only one to stand beside him in the horrific battle is Hinata. Outside of Kakashi scenes, that was probably my favorite of the series just because you get to see her character grow and take a stand. Showed a greater depth in Hinata's character. Much more than Sakura ever carried. Oh I was mad at the Ninja Storm team when they altered her lines in the remake of that scene for Ninja Storm 2.

Anyways, just watched this week's Cross Ange...I think I'll give female cast anime's a bit more lenience. I'll be wary but, what she just did this week and the intensity of the episode. True Dyan colors have come forward. Just a shame she got interrupted. Just hope they don't make the real foe too pretentious or OP so it drags on for weeks with semi filler episodes till a climatic battle. Again, I've seen other shows do that and it just annoys. They get to the conclusion fast, then load in filler episodes to pad out the series till the finale.

And..why Naruto > Shinji...simple. Naruto overcomes it and becomes something. Shinji just sits in pity parties all the time and never becomes anything. Then tries to kill Asuka.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 11:19:29 pm by Gilder Unfettered »

Offline ShadedExalt

• [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 04, 2015, 11:21:39 pm »
That last point right there Gilder, and the change bit; YES.

Also, I love Kakashi.  Probably one of my favourite characters ever.  I really like his dynamic with Guy, too.  NaruHina is an OTP, for sure.  I haven't actually read the ending yet; I got to the point where Sasuke says that he's going to murder all of the Kages (That was unexpected and yet totally in character.), and that's it.  What happens?

And Ceres, agreed.  She was just as broken as Rei and Shinji, but it really showed when she interacted with Kaji.  I'm just glad he wasn't dumb enough to take the jailbait.  It probably would've broken her even more.

But as it is, I would never, EVER consider her to be waifu material unless she smartened up and stopped being so bitchy.  I'd almost say she needs to be knocked down a peg or two, but she'd probably just snap and try to kill you, or make specifically sure she destroyed your house next time she was fighting.  She puts up the bitchy exterior to hide how delicate she is.  Doesn't mean it doesn't piss me off.  The one and only time I rooted for Asuka was when she was fighting the MP Evas.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 11:30:15 pm by ShadedExalt »

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #95 on: January 04, 2015, 11:30:47 pm »

Also, I love Kakashi.  Probably one of my favourite characters ever.  I really like his dynamic with Guy, too.  NaruHina is an OTP, for sure.  I haven't actually read the ending yet; I got to the point where Sasuke says that he's going to murder all of the Kages (That was unexpected and yet totally in character.), and that's it.  What happens?

lol I can just imagine it.

Sasuke: I have succeeded in killing all the Kages.
Sasuke: wait what? They elected new ones? FFS.

Offline ShadedExalt

• [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 04, 2015, 11:34:04 pm »

No, they're all unconscious and totally powerless because of the Infinite Tsukiyomi.  His plan is basically kill them all, and then unite the Elemental Nations under his rule, with a new philosphy.  No more ninja, no more wars... it's Pein like, really.

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #97 on: January 05, 2015, 12:35:20 am »

No, they're all unconscious and totally powerless because of the Infinite Tsukiyomi.  His plan is basically kill them all, and then unite the Elemental Nations under his rule, with a new philosphy.  No more ninja, no more wars... it's Pein like, really.

It's poor writing when a character thinks that just because a leader is dead that a regime is over. Especially one thats lasted generations.

In those moments I'd just wanna insert myself into the story pat the person on the should and go, "yeah. good luck with that"

• [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 05, 2015, 06:08:10 am »
Actually I haven't read the manga. But the movie that just released spoiled it for everyone. Allegedly the manga skips ahead and you see Naru/Hina but you don't know how they hook up, the movie tells that story. It was actually spoiled beforehand cause someone released some of the concept art showing Naru/Hina's kids. Then everyone spoiled it after that when the movie details hit and the manga released. Had to have been the worst kept secret in anime. But I'm a little happy the writer did it. Usually the girls who never speak up, never win in anime. Course he spent a lot of time building her courage and it was nice to see. Hinata grew more in a vertical sense. Stronger character and became one who could stand beside Naruto. Whereas Sakura just grew in the horizontal. She sorta gives up on combat and becomes a medic but her character doesn't really change much. She becomes more of a behind the scenes character.

Heh...if I made an anime with all of my waifus in it, i'd probably bankrupt an animation studio with characters. Theres just soo many endearing ones. But I do know my top 5 would have Taneshima Popura from Working!! and Marina Wulfstan from Valkyria Chronicles.

Offline ShadedExalt

• [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 05, 2015, 08:58:17 am »
Indulge me while I list my Waifus for a moment.

Ruby Rose, RWBY

Satellizer el/L. (it changes) Bridget, Freezing

Mizore Shirayuki, Rosario + Vampire

Lilly Satou, Katawa Shoujo

There are more, but these are a few of my favourites.  I feel bad because Lilly's picture is so small...

Offline Imagine

• Salutes: 59
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch Stream
« Reply #100 on: January 05, 2015, 11:34:05 am »
Talks of waifus is generally the line where I want to start separating myself from other anime fans >.>

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #101 on: January 05, 2015, 11:55:53 am »
Talks of waifus is generally the line where I want to start separating myself from other anime fans >.>

Nah my line is when weaboos use the Katakana spelling of western words.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qgJ0Bfn124

seiba vs ransa.

Its SABER VS LANCER.

Offline ShadedExalt

• [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 05, 2015, 12:03:24 pm »

I don't mean 'waifu' as in this:

I usually mean it as female anime characters I am particularly fond of.

pls don't hate me

• [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 05, 2015, 04:16:26 pm »
I see your Lily and I raise a...HANAKO!!

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #104 on: January 05, 2015, 05:17:04 pm »