Author Topic: A question from a beginner on starting a clan.  (Read 12745 times)

Offline NightForce

• Salutes: 0
    • View Profile
A question from a beginner on starting a clan.
« on: May 18, 2014, 09:50:36 am »
My friends and I just got the game *about a hour ago from this post time* and we always have our group called "League of Fools". I see the game has a clan chat but we have no idea how to register a clan and use this chat window. What steps do we take to make our group apart of this community? Is there a member minimum? *we have 4 so far and possibly 5 more coming depending on how us 4 take to the game* Is there a fee?

Offline GeoRmr

• Salutes: 178
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
    • Storm Ryders
Re: A question from a beginner on starting a clan.
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2014, 09:57:31 am »
Hi, to create a clan click on the community button, top left on the main menu, then click on the clan list, here there should be a large button to create clan about halfway down the page and to the right of the centre. You need a minimum of 5 members. Its free.

Offline AbbyTheRat

• Salutes: 52
    • [◉‿◉]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2014, 09:59:05 am »
Ah, GeoRmr beat me to it as I clicked to post. :O

Offline Omniraptor

• Salutes: 51
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2014, 03:38:05 pm »
Why did muse make 5 the magic number? wouldn't it make more sense to require 4 or 8?

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 144
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2014, 04:44:20 pm »
My guess is just the ability to fill a boat plus 1 extra. While I'm sure it's easy for us larger clans to say "why not 8 or more?" it also isn't so easy just happening upon 7 other people so that you can have your own clan when you're just starting out. They probably wanted to keep it reasonably easy to make one.

Offline Dutch Vanya

• Salutes: 107
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2014, 08:26:31 pm »
I do think 4 would have made more sense.

Offline Wundsalz

• Salutes: 72
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2014, 09:53:16 pm »
I like 5 better. Keep in mind GoI is sold in 4-packs on steam. While it's nice if a bunch of friends wants to identify itself with a tag, I think a reduction to 4 players could result in quite some more dead "clans" - especially when considering our relatively low retention rate.

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2014, 11:59:57 pm »
I'd personally rather there been more than 5 because I know how quickly frivolous clans can amass. People will make clans up for anything and everything, abuse the system, and then when actual serious people want to come in and use a name, they can't because some nuts who haven't played for months/years and never plan to come back have the name locked down. Not to mention the use of troll clan names. You'd think requiring to have a few people would stop it, then you play MMOs...nope.

Offline GeoRmr

• Salutes: 178
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
    • Storm Ryders
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2014, 08:59:05 am »
I'd personally rather there been more than 5 because I know how quickly frivolous clans can amass. People will make clans up for anything and everything, abuse the system, and then when actual serious people want to come in and use a name, they can't because some nuts who haven't played for months/years and never plan to come back have the name locked down. Not to mention the use of troll clan names. You'd think requiring to have a few people would stop it, then you play MMOs...nope.

They could always impose an activity requirement, at-least 5 clan members have to log in every 3 months or some other arbitrary amount for example.

Offline -Mad Maverick-

• Salutes: 30
    • [WOLF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2014, 12:06:33 pm »
I want this for both clans and handles in general

Offline Dutch Vanya

• Salutes: 107
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2014, 07:55:51 pm »
Does it matter if we have a lot of small non-serious clans? Does this hurt the game somehow?

Offline Omniraptor

• Salutes: 51
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2014, 09:21:22 pm »
I like 5 better. Keep in mind GoI is sold in 4-packs on steam. While it's nice if a bunch of friends wants to identify itself with a tag, I think a reduction to 4 players could result in quite some more dead "clans" - especially when considering our relatively low retention rate.

All the more reason to make a requirement of 8 people.

Does it matter if we have a lot of small non-serious clans? Does this hurt the game somehow?

the issue is with people who register, play for 2 days, then quit. They clutter the namespace and increase chance of conflicts.

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2014, 01:49:07 am »
Yeah which then eventually leads to people using odd characters to make names/etc. Those can be a hassle for people to type as unless you know the key command, you won't be able to type it.

Offline Sedgewicke

• Salutes: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2014, 04:17:39 am »
So, uh. I accidentally the notification when I started my clan 2 seconds ago. Question is: is there any time limit to get those 5 members? Because I kind of want to limit to people I know and like... and I neither know nor like many people. So it might take a while to amass the required number.

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 144
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2014, 09:32:32 am »
5 days if memory serves me.