Author Topic: Mobula Suggestion  (Read 29062 times)

Offline -Mad Maverick-

• Salutes: 30
    • [WOLF]
    • View Profile
Re: Mobula Suggestion
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2014, 09:54:10 pm »
I won't pretend to have answers since I never fly it but I will say I find them easy to kill and I never see them used in competition successfully

Offline Imagine

• Salutes: 59
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch Stream
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2014, 10:42:03 pm »
I won't pretend to have answers since I never fly it but I will say I find them easy to kill and I never see them used in competition successfully
.... I'm not sure what you're watching, they were doing quite well the last few months.

Offline -Mad Maverick-

• [WOLF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2014, 12:15:14 am »
I dunno I guess the same thing Byron smollet and others are watching...

Offline Imagine

• Salutes: 59
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch Stream
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2014, 01:19:40 am »
I don't think we saw it too much in the Sky League (though there were... a lot of teams bringing a lot of various ships so I can't quite recall off the top of my head right now), but they were quite prevalent in a lot of Rumbles and some of the Socials. I think most people consider them to be on the weak side still, but they have been used rather effectively on long range maps.

Offline geggis

• Salutes: 12
    • [VAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2014, 02:13:21 pm »
Sunday Rumble 15 says 'Hi!' Cpt Janeway (formerly Mad Maverick, right?) ;-)

http://youtu.be/lGAiA9t6sFk

We gave you Wolves a good run for your money all things considered; we were a mixed team (some of whom I'd never played with before), that was my first (and only) proper Sunday Rumble as a pilot so I was a bag of nerves for those three games (resulting in some awful panicked manoeuvres), and looking back my Mob loadout wasn't exactly ideal. A lot has changed since then but I had to bring this up! :-)

It was a shame AK dissolved and Valiant are more casual, but I'd love to play some more competitive games.

Offline -Mad Maverick-

• [WOLF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2014, 04:21:42 pm »
I had a mixed crew also no offense to daft but he is no goose and I had never flown with him competitively before... with that being said you guys would have won with a second pyra...

Offline -Mad Maverick-

• [WOLF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2014, 04:47:52 pm »
let's remember I did have the caveat of "successfully" on my statement

Offline Alistair MacBain

• Salutes: 23
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2014, 05:36:51 pm »
I kinda prefer the idea of the holes.
As a engineer mainly i can sign what byron says about the weaknesses of the mobula but a tunnel would make it to easy and to fast.
Yes the inability of the mobula to tank damage is its biggest thread. Besides fire which will most likely hit every part of the ship (atleast hull and balloon). But giving those 2 a tunnel would make it to fast as others described. The idea with the holes however would allow the topdeck enginer/player to quickly jump down and help tank damage. It would be the same the topright gunner/gungineer can do on a pyra. Quickly jump down -> tank the damage -> have a slow walk back to your gun

And mobula not used effective in competetive?
Im not sure what you guys watched but i saw several good mobulas in competetive.
Thralls started it with their pyra mobula pairs. Mad Hatters continued it and gents copied it.
There were mobulas in competetive. Not as many as junkers or pyras but more than squids and spires ...
The mobula isnt the least used ship. Its just in a awkward but manageable position.

Offline GeoRmr

• Salutes: 178
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
    • Storm Ryders
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2014, 06:13:29 pm »

CsRy have used mobulas successfully in competitive, in fact the first time we ever used a double sniper mobula team in the final of a box social we gained a perfect score: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGGQhhQT-N8

begins at 32:33

probably best to start at 45:26 unless you enjoy commentary and little action.

DISCLAIMER: Don't forget Janeway, the counter to sniping - is more sniping!
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 06:19:52 pm by GeoRmr »

Offline -Mad Maverick-

• [WOLF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2014, 06:21:54 pm »

CsRy have used mobulas successfully in competitive, in fact the first time we ever used a double sniper mobula team in the final of a box social we gained a perfect score: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGGQhhQT-N8

begins at 32:33

probably best to start at 45:26 unless you enjoy commentary and little action.

DISCLAIMER: Don't forget Janeway, the counter to sniping - is more sniping!

lol don't I know it!

Offline Spud Nick

• Salutes: 130
    • [✦✦45]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2014, 12:45:20 am »
I thought the counter to sniping was the Glow Water Thralls.

Offline geggis

• Salutes: 12
    • [VAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2014, 05:31:57 am »
I had a mixed crew also no offense to daft but he is no goose and I had never flown with him competitively before... with that being said you guys would have won with a second pyra...

I suppose Pyras fly themselves to glory eh? We might have won if I hadn't made so many mistakes with my manoeuvring and a couple of guns had been switched out. Those things cost us, and they're piloting/loadout issues irrespective of ship (mostly) -- nothing a bit of time and experience can't sort out.

I am (and was) fully aware of your caveat but my point was that even as a noob pilot (relatively speaking) with a sub-optimal Mobula build, I/we weren't 'easy to kill' and had some success in a competitive best of three. I'm sure we're not the only ones either. And besides, if a stock response is to just 'go Pyra' then is there any wonder we don't see so many Mobs and Spires in the skies? They're ships that require different mentalities and I think that's the real hurdle for most people, hence why they're considered 'Hard' ships to pilot and master, and hence why you don't see much success with them. I don't think that's a reason to go Pyra (or whatever) myself, it's a challenge with its risks and rewards. And I do love the rewards of the Mob.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 05:34:05 am by geggis »

Offline -Mad Maverick-

• [WOLF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2014, 08:39:18 am »
I feel like you misunderstand me;  see I went goldfish that whole match because I wanted to try and make a ship that is not used often in competition viable.   I want to see more variety in ships at the competitive level.   why does it seem a junker or a pyra must always be involved?  the reality is mobs are rarely successful and when they are it is marked and remembered because of how uncommon it is.  but again I don't fly mobs because I like to win so what do I know...

Offline Byron Cavendish

• Salutes: 89
    • [TB]
    • View Profile
    • The Brotherhood
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2014, 08:40:41 am »
Guys the topic raised here was not if the mobula has ever been used competitively, it is about making it more viable.

Offline -Mad Maverick-

• [WOLF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2014, 08:45:29 am »
Byron their showing that it is being used in competition is an attempt to show that it already viable