Author Topic: Hardcore setting  (Read 8806 times)

Offline Caprontos

• Salutes: 17
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
Hardcore setting
« on: May 05, 2014, 03:36:19 pm »
Pulled out of this topic, where it is offtopic:
https://gunsoficarus.com/community/forum/index.php/topic,3934.0.html

How about a Hardcore DM/CP  mode where, there is no team colors, friendly fire is on and no marking ..

Some other thoughts that may add to it..

- Make it so when re-spawning you can switch ships/load-out/class.. (This just would make it so you can't plan the whole battle in the lobby).
- Show only your own ship on the map..
- No drums
- spyglass function perhaps is it displays the ship on the map for a few seconds (friend or foe but no color to tell which)? or marks just end instantly.. not sure.. Maybe no use.
- In cp the color for capturing is the same for both teams.. and you can only tell who captured it when your points are going up.. This way you can't tell who's team is on the point when rushing in.. (more important for ck though)..

This game mode would force a lot more communication and team work or you might end up killing your own team mate.. etc.. Which I think could lead to some more interesting games or at lest different from the usual..

It could be a setting like swap lobby.

Feel free to add/change/disapprove any of that.. I think it could be fun/workable idea if done right and thought out a little..

Some how I feel this mode would create much rage..

Offline Nidh

• Salutes: 16
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
Re: Hardcore setting
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2014, 03:52:21 pm »
+1 I would love a hardcore mode

Offline GeoRmr

• Salutes: 178
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
    • Storm Ryders
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2014, 04:08:58 pm »
+ no hitmarkers

Offline Wundsalz

• Salutes: 72
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2014, 04:19:45 pm »
sounds like an interesting idea

there is no team colors
nah - keep the team colors. one needs to be able to distinguish friend from foe somehow after all. People struggle with identifying the side of an ship as is already - it's not like the ships fell into a bucket of neon blue/red color before they're put on the battlefield.

+ no hitmarkers
yes, please.

Offline Nidh

• Salutes: 16
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2014, 04:42:03 pm »
Heh.. remember the days of no flags and only the balloon deco to tell who was or wasn't an ally?

Offline -Mad Maverick-

• Salutes: 30
    • [WOLF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2014, 04:49:22 pm »
Heh.. remember the days of no flags and only the balloon deco to tell who was or wasn't an ally?

I still only look for those... gold fish coming head on? shoot first apologize after

Offline Rainer Zu Fall

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 26
    • [Prof]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2014, 05:42:34 pm »
Well, you can always turn off the music to not have to listen to the drums ... but that only counts for one person AND you won't hear the awesome soundtrack. Yes for a lobby-based hardcore mode :D

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2014, 06:11:55 pm »
This isn't a new topic. I posted one long ago when 1.2 hit and basically all it got me was an outcry of..."SPLITTING THE COMMUNITY!!"

But frankly, I still say this would solve everything. Muse could then appease both factions and avoid a lot of the monster threads. Heck gimmie 1.1 mode as Hardmode and I'll never play normal again and I'll never see a reason to raise anymore fuss.

Offline Velvet

• Salutes: 45
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2014, 06:44:24 pm »
changing loadouts while respawning would be awesome.

generally I really like the idea of a hardcore mode. Although I agree removing ship colours would be a step too far. Taking away spyglasses would easily be enough to cause some major confusion combined with friendly fire - and would also make sniping a little harder.

This opens up a new question With friendly fire enabled, should it be possible to hit your own ship?

I also disagree with no drums. In Hardcore drums should play constantly.

Offline Caprontos

• Salutes: 17
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2014, 08:04:12 pm »
This isn't a new topic. I posted one long ago when 1.2 hit and basically all it got me was an outcry of..."SPLITTING THE COMMUNITY!!"

But frankly, I still say this would solve everything. Muse could then appease both factions and avoid a lot of the monster threads. Heck gimmie 1.1 mode as Hardmode and I'll never play normal again and I'll never see a reason to raise anymore fuss.

I see, I didn't actually think to look - but.. I guess times change or maybe those people didn't see the topic yet... It was all Gilder idea! *hides*

But seriously.. I don't see swap lobbies dividing the community.. people just play which ever.. and favor one - same would be true here.. people would play both but the majority will favor one. Having options would I think keep more people interested in playing longer.. then not having options..

there is no team colors
nah - keep the team colors. one needs to be able to distinguish friend from foe somehow after all. People struggle with identifying the side of an ship as is already - it's not like the ships fell into a bucket of neon blue/red color before they're put on the battlefield.

Well you can tell by communicating with your ally - what ship they are, etc.. But it maybe to far I agree.

+ no hitmarkers

That could work. .. I can't imagine using really long range with out hit markers (Well hard to shoot ones)...  but how much more satisfying would it be to see a ship die far away that you thought you might be hitting..

Perhaps you can see hitmarkers with a spyglass for this mode ... - so you need someone looking and communicating to know your hitting.. if we stick the idea to increased communication needs as a base for the pros of this mode.. Then spyglass is still useful long range anyways..

I guess someone can try to ask the devs about it in a fireside chat.. to see what they think..

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2014, 02:32:50 am »
Thats fine, I don't mind being blamed for it. I think at the time the community was much smaller than it is now. However, if you go by regular nightly player numbers at the time vs now. I think we've maybe only doubled to tripled the active community. Depending on the nights.

Hardcore mode to me never split communities. Battlefield ran it for years and it provided something for two different communities within one. In BF games, I was always on Hardcore servers. You couldn't get me to touch a normal server because I outright hated kill cams and all the dumb CoD crap that EA added to the game. I wasn't alone in that, however EA wanted money and to entice Coddies so they catered to them. Had they not included a hardcore mode, people like me would never have bought their games again. So Hardcore mode was the only way I would play the game.

There is good reason for Muse to take time and give us two modes as they don't have to tread so carefully with balancing. Define normal as being a mode geared for newbies or casual players. Ships are easy to control, things move slower, and you don't have the competitive drive. Then you have Hardcore mode where things become much difficult. Players come in expecting a good competitive fight, not prancing around in the hwacha daisies.