Author Topic: 1.3.6 Flamethrower Changes  (Read 64834 times)

Offline GeoRmr

• Salutes: 178
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
    • Storm Ryders
Re: 1.3.6 Flamethrower Changes
« Reply #60 on: April 29, 2014, 12:03:21 pm »
Two fixes for the heatsink that could be easy to implement are
  • every time heatsink clip is loaded x fire charges are extinguished
  • every time heatsink clip is loaded, gun is fire immune for 20 seconds (regardless of ammo changes or heatsink clip running out)

thanks for adding a tl;dr for me =P

Offline Mezhu

• Salutes: 33
    • [Sgar]
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 29, 2014, 12:10:43 pm »
o7 haha

Only issue is that such a change would favor guns with smaller clips or faster reloads. Still seems more efficient than its' current version though.

And yes, a change in heatsink is necessary not because of the flamethrower shenanigans but mostly because heatsink is never used for what it was supposed to be - a fire preventing clip

Offline awkm

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 77
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
    • Notes for Next Century—n4n100
« Reply #62 on: April 29, 2014, 12:44:06 pm »
I can test Heatsink.  Having it do silly things while reloading is something that we'd prefer not to do.  It's a special case that would require some code uprooting, not pretty.  I tried and I can't get it to work without mucking the code up.

However, I know that I can at least get the 20s immunity when it is loaded type thing.  Even if you change to another ammo immediately after loading heat sink, the immunity sticks for the time I set it at.  It's really weird so I prefer not to do it.  It's a very opaque interaction.  E.g. what is this gun fire immune?  Did someone chem spray it?  Maybe it doesn't matter because you don't know if an engineer sprayed something, you just know it's immune so it doesn't matter.

What I like more is every time the ammo is loaded, it extinguishes.  I'll go test that.

So far, dev app tests have been going well.

Damage: 1.2
Ignition %: 18%
Ammo: 250

If you are good about chem spray, you'll be fine.  But if you miss something, you're boned.  So chem spray can completely counter flamer.  This is fine because I don't think many boats will only have flamer, they may have other things to use to distract the engineers like gatling.  Get those engineers busy repairing the hull and then unload flames on them.  It's a question of what the engineer chooses to focus their attention on and how to distract them.

So this HOT HOT HOT fix shaping up to be release ready very shortly.  I'll let everyone know when this happens.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 12:46:08 pm by awkm »

Offline awkm

• Muse Games
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 29, 2014, 01:01:53 pm »
Loading Heatsink to extinguish fire stacks works.  It's live in dev app, currently extinguishing 3 stacks on reload.

Check it out.

Offline Mr. Ace Rimmer

• Salutes: 31
    • [OVW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 29, 2014, 01:06:03 pm »
You are going to need to host a test session before putting the hot fix in. For future reference, don't treat mine and Tropo's word as Godlike when it comes to fixes/changes :P Two people do not an 'it's fine' make :P

Offline AbbyTheRat

• Salutes: 52
    • [◉‿◉]
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 29, 2014, 01:18:50 pm »
Ace it wasn't that, it was that all he got.. not many people emailed in suggesting that flamer is op need nerf so based on what he has heard.. it was mostly good reaction.

Loving the heatsink idea! Might need more stacks but that obviously depends on the how hard the stacks get applied inbetween a fast reload of a fully repaired gun after the the flamer.

Must find time and people to test this new heatsink clip changes.

Offline awkm

• Muse Games
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 29, 2014, 01:23:03 pm »
It's how it is, unfortunately.  It's already a struggle to get people to even test huge features like Matchmaking.

Believe me when I say it's not easy but I've got to work with what I've got, so I appreciate your, Tropo's, and everyone else's time in Dev App and posting feedback.  It's very very useful.  It's never the end of the discussion in dev app, it only serves to hopefully get it right and we know it never happens.  To really get it right is to leave it in dev app for 3 months like Portable Flak... but I don't know if that's what we want.  Harpoon, I'll admit, was a total longshot that paid off.  Sure, there's a lot of complaining when things it Production but it's when the flood of results comes in.  Luckily enough, I can respond fast enough and put a hot fix in and then see what happens after that.

As everyone knows, Muse doesn't have a QA department so it makes things interesting to say the least lol.  I've become calloused enough to not be bothered by all the complaining.  At this point, I just take what you guys say and do it.  Release it, see what you say again.  Keep fixing until it gets to a place.  It's not that big of a deal to me.  Just that everyone complains the most on day one makes for an interesting Monday morning hahaha.

Kinda makes me want to do this... but we don't have a photocopier. 

In fact, someone came into our office trying to sell us photocopiers and phones and we were like:

LOL WHAT'S THAT?

Offline Mezhu

• [Sgar]
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 29, 2014, 01:25:19 pm »
New heatsink looks good. Functionality is greatly improved, now you can 'cheat' the fire stacks by repairing the gun while loading and also getting the fires removed.

I like the change but the number of fires removed might need to be tweaked. On one hand it's very decent, considering that you get a minor extinguish without setting a repair cooldown or disrupting an engineer's repair loop. On the other hand, reload times are pretty big and you also can't 'save' a gun with over 8 fires this way.

Not sure if putting off 4 fires instead would be too good..

Offline B'Elanna

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 82
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 29, 2014, 01:25:44 pm »
can i just say

i'm having SO much fun :3

thaaaaaaaaanks muuuuuse <3
i luv you

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #69 on: April 29, 2014, 01:50:16 pm »
I wonder how much did Cake Clan pay Muse to implement this "fix"? If we were to go to the Muse offices right now, would we see donuts, cakes, and other baked confections filling up their break room?

Offline B'Elanna

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 82
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 29, 2014, 01:56:05 pm »
meanwhile at muse hq

Offline Imagine

• Salutes: 59
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch Stream
« Reply #71 on: April 29, 2014, 02:00:37 pm »
I wonder how much did Cake Clan pay Muse to implement this "fix"? If we were to go to the Muse offices right now, would we see donuts, cakes, and other baked confections filling up their break room?
Having been there recently, I can assure you that is not the case.

Offline Mezhu

• [Sgar]
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 29, 2014, 03:57:55 pm »
After extensive testing conclusions are the dev app flamethrower is good. Good good. Reliable, strong, counterable. I'd still vote for a minor decrease in range but only time can tell if that's neccessary.
Heatsink does need a buff. Reloading a gun while it's being focused by a flamethrower will stack 6 to 10 fires on it so you're gonna have to time your reload with the enemy flamers reload to get it to work properly- but an increase to fires extinguished from 3 to 4 would be ideal imo (plus symmetry you know.. extinguishes half the fires that it'd take for the gun to be unusable).

Sorry for not posting this on dev forum but apparently I can't access it even though I've got the dev app :o

Offline awkm

• Muse Games
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 29, 2014, 04:35:09 pm »
Yeah if you have forum issues, email keyvias@musegames.com

Offline -Mad Maverick-

• Salutes: 30
    • [WOLF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 30, 2014, 04:04:02 am »
i know coming from me this probably sounds weird since it probably seems like i always want close range weapon buffs, but i think reducing the range a tad would make the payoff for using lesmock greater... at this point im just loading up heat sink rounds into the flamers so that they cant be taken out by flamers because the range is great in its current state