Author Topic: I made a troll galleon  (Read 20345 times)

Offline HoboPotato

• Salutes: 1
    • View Profile
I made a troll galleon
« on: February 28, 2014, 04:24:30 am »
I decided for one game I made a galleon with 4 hwachas cuz I had ai in the beginning of paritian rumble for cp. I was able to do quite well with it too but we still lost. The other team had the clan legg or something.

Offline HoboPotato

• Salutes: 1
    • View Profile
Re: I made a troll galleon
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2014, 04:25:17 am »
I killed one or 2 ships with it I dont remember

Offline GreyTea

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 54
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2014, 04:41:24 am »
4 manticores is not a troll build :), it has lots of disable and one on one you can kill most ships, especially if you are buff engineer with charged and a gunner with burst so you get 2 buffed manticore volleys of burst for disable then charged to finish with say a gat or hades very effective if not one clip kills *i will have to test*, Also if you put a harpoon on the side with manticore it can be very effective.

But enough about the ''troll'' builds what is your best galleon build and why this question is open to everyone :D

Offline Chmielewski

• Salutes: 19
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2014, 03:31:42 am »
"Troll" builds? Is that possible? Won't it be yourself the only one person who you "troll" if you have strange build.

Offline Omniraptor

• Salutes: 51
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2014, 04:17:32 am »
if the enemy is completely clueless i.e. they bring a gat/mortar pyramidion, a double-hwacha/gat combo is very fun and effective.  Otherwise it's not that good.

There's some good things to be said for double lumberjack/hades, which counters artemises.

Offline Piemanlives

• Salutes: 155
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2014, 11:22:18 pm »
Also a squid armed with all mine launchers, fairly useful in the right hands, IE: Not me who flies the thing backwards the entire match.

Offline Dutch Vanya

• Salutes: 107
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2014, 12:07:29 am »
Also a squid armed with all mine launchers, fairly useful in the right hands, IE: Not me who flies the thing backwards the entire match.

Try a front mine launcher to harass and at some point break armor, with a mortar on side to kill. (and maybe a gat on the back for trying hard just in case)
It can work very well even against meta ships.

Offline Omniraptor

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2014, 04:49:17 am »

Try a front mine launcher to harass and at some point break armor, with a mortar on side to kill. (and maybe a gat on the back for trying hard just in case)

I shudder to think what sort of ship and crew composition you are referring to as 'meta' in that post.

Offline Dutch Vanya

• [Clan]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2014, 07:17:17 am »

I shudder to think what sort of ship and crew composition you are referring to as 'meta' in that post.

Was a match against triple art/ gatmortar junker, and a mobula with two mercuries an art some other stuff. Both with good captains and surely some decent crew. (not a meticulously organized duck ship but a very even game) To be fair we were getting some INCREDIBLE mine hits, like charging in full speed and the first mine in lesmok range deploying perfectly, with continued hits after that, and a teammate to keep the other ship busy. I guess i was more trying to say it is possible to do, rather than it can always be effective.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 07:21:53 am by Dutch Vanya »

Offline Omniraptor

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2014, 05:20:25 pm »
If anyone tried a mine squid against me I'd just park the ship and pummel them with artemises.. did the other pilots continue to charge after being hit with a mine?

Offline Dutch Vanya

• [Clan]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2014, 08:46:15 pm »
If anyone tried a mine squid against me I'd just park the ship and pummel them with artemises..
How boring...
Did the other pilots continue to charge after being hit with a mine?
As far as i remember we charged them every time, when they were targeting our teammate, and we were hitting with mines before they even saw us coming.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 08:53:20 pm by Dutch Vanya »

Offline Battle Toads

• Salutes: 4
    • [kTen]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2014, 08:24:17 am »
I killed one or 2 ships with it I dont remember

Considering the Quad Hwatcha galleon is relatively effective, I wouldn't consider "1 or 2" kills to be a success with it.

Also I remember playing a game exactly as you are describing with 2 galleons on the enemy team on labyrinth,  I forget who I was playing with (sorry to whoever I forgot) but I remember my team mate having a blender fish and I having a gat/mortar pyra. Needless to say it was a slaughter and I believe I got atleast 4 kills on my own and at the most 1 death, but perhaps none

I think the match shows that a blender fish is a Galleon's worst nightmare as the other team's galleons spent 1/2 of their game trapped on the floor and the other half moving from spawn. Also contrary to most opinions, my gat/mortar pyra did excellent work on killing the trapped galleons quickly with the standard damage of a meta set up and the mobility of a buffed balloon

Offline Battle Toads

• Salutes: 4
    • [kTen]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2014, 08:27:39 am »
"Troll" builds? Is that possible? Won't it be yourself the only one person who you "troll" if you have strange build.

As someone who usually goes with more basic "meta" builds, I understand where you are coming from. But the idea of a troll build is that it annoys the enemies, for example a carronade + flamer build leaves the enemies trapped on the ground, while a mine junker can do tremendous damage on unsuspecting enemies, also a hwatcha or artemis can take out enemies guns and engines.

Although trolling isn't effective in a competitive game, it is still very enjoyable when playing against newer players

Offline redria

• Salutes: 136
    • [OVW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2014, 08:35:18 am »
for example a carronade + flamer build leaves the enemies trapped on the ground
[...]
Although trolling isn't effective in a competitive game, it is still very enjoyable when playing against newer players
Carronade-flamer is nowhere close to a troll build, and is one of the best counters to junkers and galleons. Done right it can be absurdly effective. The key is to not go for just trapping your enemy on the ground, but killing them as quickly as possible using your ship for the finishing blows.
Take a pyramidion with those on the front guns. Your first target is the balloon. Take that out, then work them down to the ground and goomba stomp.
While it doesn't really work against competitive metamidion teams, it holds up quite well in most competitive play.

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2014, 12:43:49 pm »
My "troll builds" invariably involve carronades and mine launchers. It is dickish to pop some one's balloon and condemn their crew to a slow scraping death on the ground where they can not retaliate. It is trollish to pop their balloon until they are on the ground, then throw a maze of mines above them so that any attempt to move off the ground would result in their immediate destruction.

4x Manticore is actually a sensible build when you have AI. You can't trust AI to fire at long range, or use carronades properly. Also if you get a newbie joining mid game it is pretty easy to shoot a Manticore.