Author Topic: Arashi and Guild Map Proposals  (Read 14680 times)

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
Arashi and Guild Map Proposals
« on: February 24, 2014, 02:33:05 am »
Ok, we're in need of maps made around the Arashi and Guild lands. So, looking at the map, heres some ideas drawn up.

On the border of A2 and A3 grid of the old map Muse made there is a region between Guild and Arashi lands which looks to be very rocky and possibly, full of canyons.

So for an Arashi map, since we already have Dunes with sand, I say we go towards a canyons style. However, no oil or mining equipment. Instead we go with something more like a giant version of this:

Now that is Anza Borrego Desert in California. It is a desert I hiked through often when I went there on trips as a kid. It is just full of canyons and I did come across a lot of wind caves like that.

What you could do with the design is make them part wind formed and then also part weapon formed. Imagine ships flying through those as a trade route area.

For added decorations you could toss in ship wreakages giving evidence that the area has long been a place of conflict between Arashi and Guild.

Then next, a more guild land centric area. Sunken Bay.

Lets embellish this a little. So obviously there is a reason why it is called Sunken Bay.

The idea is simple:

We do just that. So its like Paritus but half or parts of the buildings are underwater and you can maybe see the rest under water. Say the entire bay is the remains of a city that sank. Could be any number of reasons but since the world is more in an ice age up north then say what happened is maybe the foundations of the city or the plate under it shifted during the old world and just caused it to sink. Heck could just turn it into a former Venice Italy.

So we'd have buildings toppled and maybe the tops of buildings remaining but it would be a mess. You'd have to navigate this. Maybe have the buildings with a little greenery as life has tried to spring up on them like islands. Kinda like this:

There is a trade route that passes over the bay and heads to Chaladon/Abermar Valley lands so ships coming through it would be possible.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 02:40:06 am by Gilder Unfettered »

Offline Piemanlives

• Salutes: 155
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
Re: Arashi and Guild Map Proposals
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2014, 02:43:47 am »
I personally quite like the sunken bay idea. I would propose adding a bit of water hazard into that, with a few spires built after the fall, and possibly a few boats.

Offline Coldcurse

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 164
    • [TFD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2014, 02:50:27 am »
oh god... Steampunk submarine.

Guns of Poseidon...

Offline macmacnick

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 121
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile: Macmacnick
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2014, 02:53:13 am »
...Isn't water kind of scarce after the great war happened?

• [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2014, 04:53:39 am »
Its part of the ocean.

Offline Crafeksterty

• Salutes: 73
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2014, 06:59:22 am »
Anything for more maps.

Would like more description on what the map tries to accomplish gameplay wise. For example, Dunes is just very open. Paritian is a very closterphobic stealth map. Duels biggest trait is it being very very small. Canyons being a tactical-cover/path based map. Along with Fjords that is a mix of Dunes and Canyons where you have large space but with option of cover and paths.

• [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2014, 07:31:05 am »
Arashi map would have wind channels. Multiple possible routes. If possible, the wind speed would pick up quite a bit and move ships through the channels which would make cover sniping very difficult. Rest of the design is cover oriented and also parts of it inside the wind caves so it would at times seem like the airships were underground when they pass through them.

The wind channels could make it an interesting DM and also CK map as the channels could speed up ships in traversing the map.

Guild sunken map would likely go more towards the stealth oriented play. Probably not as obscured or as tight as Paritian. Could use something a bit brighter. I think making it a bit more vertical oriented like Fjords might be good. Specially since part of the buildings are underwater. The sunken city you could hide in but is more of a background and used for cover.

Could put that there is a salvaging operation going on where people are attempting to dredge up relics of the old world from the city. Each dredging spot could be a different pack of buildings. Middle of the map could have a larger tower still standing, or a sink hole. Depends what you'd want.

So CP/CK possibilities are there if you make some unique buildings for them.

Offline Gryphos

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2014, 03:17:42 pm »
I like the idea of a sunken bay Guild map, but I would say that it would be out of place for there to be greenery. The whole point of the Vastness is that it's a barren wasteland of pollution, so to stick with that aesthetic you'd have to keep the map pretty barren of wildlife.

• [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2014, 05:35:05 pm »
Wouldn't need a lot of greenery. If the buildings have sat for a long time and had enough dirt deposited due to wind/etc, then it still likely wouldn't support major life. But even with the world being blasted all to heck, can't count out the hardiness of some species that don't need much to get started. Plus given its over water they'd have some moisture in the air.

• [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2014, 08:59:17 pm »
Great way to test the idea is sinking Paritian into some water. Course Sunken Bay would be a bit more open. But it would be neat to see Paritian flooded.

Offline macmacnick

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 121
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile: Macmacnick
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2014, 09:12:53 pm »
...april fools Joke? Water and Troll Crane Hazard?

Offline The Sky Wolf

• Salutes: 43
    • [Wolƒ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2014, 10:52:37 pm »
oh god... Steampunk submarine.

Guns of Poseidon...

Already suggested that

---

Love this thread and all of its beautiful ideas and pictures by the way.

• [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2014, 03:53:54 pm »
Just sayin...still looking forward to some Guild/Arashi maps.

Offline -Muse- Grimick

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 25
    • [Grim]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2014, 04:09:00 pm »
I really like sunken bay.

As far as water goes in the desert, an Oasis map might be cool. Not to mention that there is plenty of reason to fight over an Oasis in the desert.
It would be key to victory to control all of the scarce water sources in the region.
I could see it, and it would be an awesome place to fight!

Offline NallyNally

• Salutes: 1
    • [SPQR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2014, 04:09:22 pm »
Log Horizon, though.