Author Topic: Was Mobula Nerfed?  (Read 9963 times)

Offline JPMRocks

• Salutes: 2
    • [99%]
    • View Profile
Was Mobula Nerfed?
« on: March 12, 2014, 10:12:15 am »
Hello, GoI. I am JPMRocks, a humble gunner and wanna-be captain. When I first started playing GoI, around the time the Mobula was released, the Mobula was a tank of a ship. It was strong, had strong shield, but little mobility. After about a 6 month hiatus, I've returned to GoI, and tried piloting a mobula. I've found that Mobulas are now little balls of paper that can fly, that can be downed with a single shot. Was the mobula always like this, or was there an update that nerfed the mobula?

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
Re: Was Mobula Nerfed?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 10:14:19 am »
Nope. The armour and hull values for the Mobula are exactly what they were when it was added to the game.

Offline Imagine

• Salutes: 59
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch Stream
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2014, 11:28:03 am »
Has it been 6 months since the mobula was released already? Good lord how time flies...

But yes, afaik, no values have been changed for the ship. I don't think it was every tanky though quite frankly, and it always had good vertical mobility.

Offline Thomas

• Salutes: 80
    • [SPQR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2014, 12:31:34 pm »
https://gunsoficarus.com/gameplay/ships-3/

The mobula generally just seems fairly fragile, despite having comparable stats to the pyra. The problem is that it's harder to have someone babysit the hull, and it's not nearly as mobile as most ships (turning and such). Combine that with the large blind spot and the ship has difficulties without lots of coordination.

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 144
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2014, 01:57:53 pm »
It turns faster then a pyra, once it gets to the max turn speed.

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2014, 04:21:07 pm »
I dunno what game you were playing but the Mobula has been nerfed since the day it was born.

I think you've confused the Mobula with the Pyra from the sounds of your description.

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2014, 05:58:28 pm »
The current mobula has been buffed with rear ladders since it first lumbered into the skies of GOI. The OP's varying experiences with the mobula my be down to the quality of crew and opposition he was facing. Also back when mobula's were new veteran players didn't know how to deal with them where as most of us have them figured out by now.

Offline Captain Smollett

• Salutes: 122
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2014, 06:23:30 pm »
Even good engineers often miss their repairs when crewing mobulas.  Your engineer likely did as well.

Makes them seem far more fragile than they aught too.

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2014, 10:45:05 pm »
Also back when mobula's were new veteran players didn't know how to deal with them where as most of us have them figured out by now.

Nah even back when they came out it didn't take long to figure them out and then yell to the crew..."Men, load up your spitwads!!"

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2014, 06:26:04 pm »
I remember going to ram a mobula at low altitude like it was a spire, only to discover that helium + mobula = Saturn 5 rocket. now I approach mobulas from a high altitude to lower the window for vertical escape.

Offline JPMRocks

• Salutes: 2
    • [99%]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2014, 07:36:15 pm »
Thank you all for clearing this up. It may have been that at the time, the Mobula was such a new thing, no one knew how weak it's shell was. Now, to figure out how the heck to get one to be battle efficient, but that's a different topic all together. I wish to declare this post, completed.

Offline Dutch Vanya

• Salutes: 107
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2014, 09:24:30 pm »
Thank you all for clearing this up. It may have been that at the time, the Mobula was such a new thing, no one knew how weak it's shell was. Now, to figure out how the heck to get one to be battle efficient, but that's a different topic all together. I wish to declare this post, completed.

Here are the simplest 'meta' builds: Standard engineer each side and a gunner/ buff engineer up top with two gatling guns and a middle mortar for close range, two artemis and middle mercury for long range.

Then there's a whole range of creative builds, and non- symmetrical crew setups you can try.

Oh, you said the thread is completed.