Author Topic: The Iron Fork of Friday! Every Friday!  (Read 12438 times)

Offline Letonator

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 8
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
The Iron Fork of Friday! Every Friday!
« on: February 14, 2014, 03:45:43 pm »
Every Friday we stream The Iron Fork, the weekly Cake community event where all sides and quadrents of the community can come together and dink around with all sorts of insanity. It's open to the public and always streamed live on The Rob and Dan Show Twitch.tv Page!

It happens every Friday at 4pm EST!

http://www.twitch.tv/therobanddanshow

Offline Coldcurse

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 164
    • [TFD]
    • View Profile
Re: The Iron Fork of Friday! Every Friday!
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2014, 06:05:21 am »
Every friday you say?

Offline Mod Josie

• Muse
  • Salutes: 130
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2014, 06:46:23 pm »
The event takes place every Friday and is usually streamed by Leto. On occasion (for instance if the connection is bad) it is only recorded and is then uploaded to http://www.youtube.com/user/TheRobandDanShow. We have a host of co-commentators. James T. Kirk and Fourth Oracle are our regulars.

Check us out! We recently made the Front Page of http://gunsoficarus.com/ in the first issue of The Squeaky Cog - a community newsletter.

Message me in-game if you want more information about the event and how to get involved.

Much Love,
- Jacob Fii - General Manager of The Iron Fork.

Offline Brick Hardcastle

• Salutes: 12
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2014, 11:39:24 pm »
I don't mean to be a downer on the event here, but I feel some clarification and advice maybe be helpful for the good of this event.

On Friday, myself and the rest of BFS had gotten three full ships worth of BFS members ready with a new 3v3 build we were eager to try out against some skilled opponents. I was under the impression The Iron Fork of Friday was a weekly event where Cake threw down the gauntlet to all comers in a public 3v3 challenge match, and we came into the lobby hoping to have a good game and good practice. I was particularly excited as this would be my first streamed competitive game as a captain of full BFS team in months. As it happened, only 8 BFS members were able to join as the rest of the blue team, including a captain's slot, were filled by Cakes. I asked if the Cake members on the blue team could leave so we could have a proper 3v3 Cake vs BFS match. It was explained to me that IFOF was "just for fun" event and that priority was given to Cake members wanting to play on either side. I completely accepted this and asked if we should leave so we could have a practice with all our members elsewhere.

Cake insisted that they wanted to play with us, so out of goodwill, we agreed. Our allied Cake captain took a harpoon/mine junker without consulting me or Zinc, and then left halfway through the game without warning. This was irritating in itself, but when we found out the game was being casted as a Cake vs BFS match on the stream when Cake had explicitly refused the offer of a scrim before the match, it was very aggravating to all our members, especially since we had excluded some of our members to play the game and wasted valuable practice time together.

I feel greater clarity about this event for both the casters and participants of it would really help. I do not hold anything against Cake (you know we love you guys!) as I think this all sprung from misunderstanding rather than malice, but until everyone is on the same page about whether this is an actual competitive event or "just for fun" silliness, I feel this may give rise to further misunderstandings. All the best from BFS and I hope we can have a proper 3v3 scrim with you guys sometime.

Offline Mod Josie

• Muse
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2014, 03:31:11 am »
I don't mean to be a downer on the event here, but I feel some clarification and advice maybe be helpful for the good of this event.

I feel greater clarity about this event for both the casters and participants of it would really help. I do not hold anything against Cake (you know we love you guys!) as I think this all sprung from misunderstanding rather than malice, but until everyone is on the same page about whether this is an actual competitive event or "just for fun" silliness, I feel this may give rise to further misunderstandings. All the best from BFS and I hope we can have a proper 3v3 scrim with you guys sometime.
I agree, Brick - it appears as though there has been some misunderstanding.

We have had another clan try to challenge us to an informal scrim during the Fork and I told them the same thing. If one wants to book a scrim against Cake they should do it through the official channels, even if it is just for practice.

The Iron Fork of Friday is an event where Cake members rally together to make a big lobby where anyone and everyone is welcome to play for fun. The number of Pastries attending has seen a steady increase until for the past month it fills one entire team on 3v3. We always have a Crew Formation before the match such that three ships of Pastries enters the lobby at the start. After this, extra Pastries are open to join through finding the match in the lobby screen.
When BFS called us up to join, I made an effort to set up the lobby such that BFS could sweep in together using Crew Formation so that we could have at least one 3v3. Sadly, the popularity of our match bit us back. As soon as the lobby opened, it was inundated with other players. Before I could tell you the lobby was up, it was already filling.

It was probably wrong of me to accept the challenge at such short notice as it caused many of your members to miss out. To assemble those ships must've taken some organising. In future, before assembling your crew, please request of us attendance to the event well in advance so we can assess the situation in good time.

With regard to the Cake Vs BFS scenario, I would like to apologise. I informed Leto that BFS were coming to fly with us and in my haste may have over-hyped the situation, making it appear more like a planned practice scrimmage. This was not my intention. The IFOF isn't and will never be a place to scrim. We will gladly accept organised crews into our lobby, but IFOF is informal and will remain so.
In future, we are considering having two lobbies open during the posted Fork hours, both hosted by Cake Organiser(s). This will give us a little more flexibility and help this event to grow. Once we have gotten ourselves a stable footing running more than one lobby, we might be able to accept invitations like yours in future.

Apologies for the essay, and apologies to Brick for making his life a little more difficult than it had to be.

- Jacob Fii - General Manager of The Iron Fork.

Offline ramjamslam

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 63
    • [SAC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2014, 07:28:50 am »
Hi, I am not the boss of where threads go :P but maybe this thread being posted under "The Official Competitive Scene" board is adding to the confusion of whether it is a social, recruiting or competitive.  I don't have a good solution for that so feel free to agree or disagree.

Offline GreyTea

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 54
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2014, 02:33:32 pm »
The Iron Fork of Friday is an event where Cake members rally together to make a big lobby where anyone and everyone is welcome to play for fun. The number of Pastries attending has seen a steady increase until for the past month it fills one entire team on 3v3. We always have a Crew Formation before the match such that three ships of Pastries enters the lobby at the start. After this, extra Pastries are open to join through finding the match in the lobby screen.

i agree ram I think moving it to just community events would be enough, even though it is a weekly event it is for fun and not competitive :) which is one of the strengths  of the event i feel.

Jacob or leto want to weigh in ?

Offline Mod Josie

• Muse
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2014, 02:52:39 pm »
I thought this thread was on the Signal Tower. It is an advert for the stream after all :D

All the best from BFS and I hope we can have a proper 3v3 scrim with you guys sometime.
Of course Brick! Hit us up if you want to scrim any time.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 02:55:51 pm by Jacob Fii »

Offline GreyTea

• Muse Games
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2014, 03:18:44 pm »
i can move it to the signal tower if you wish? but the event itself is a community even maybe make a seperate post on tower and move this to community events

Offline Mod Josie

• Muse
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2014, 03:20:55 pm »
There must be two threads then cause I think there already is one in Tower. Poke this one into the community one :D

Offline GreyTea

• Muse Games
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2014, 03:23:14 pm »
Done

In other news is there any plans to make this more than one lobby and say 2v2 rather than 3v3?

Offline James T. Kirk

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 182
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
    • The Cake Official Website!
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2014, 03:41:08 pm »
As of now, we only have 1 Iron Fork Manager, so two lobbies might prove difficult. :P

Although, we are looking into it...
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 03:52:26 pm by James T. Kirk »

Offline Mod Josie

• Muse
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2014, 03:42:30 pm »
This idea is already in the pipeline

In future, we are considering having two lobbies open during the posted Fork hours, both hosted by Cake Organiser(s). This will give us a little more flexibility and help this event to grow. Once we have gotten ourselves a stable footing running more than one lobby, we might be able to accept invitations like yours in future.

I am already making talks with a select few to come and help me manage the Fork. I hope we can grow and accept more people. We definitely have enough pastries to do it. :D