Author Topic: Dreaming about beeing a pilot?  (Read 11978 times)

Offline Rayvales

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 0
    • View Profile
Dreaming about beeing a pilot?
« on: December 20, 2013, 02:11:26 pm »
So just wondering if there are any members of the community that dream about beeing a pilot?
Me myself i do that, and thats why i currently are studying to become one :) its a 2 year full school education (ATPL license)

Im hoping to end up working for Widerøe (norwegian airline)

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
Re: Dreaming about beeing a pilot?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2013, 02:24:19 pm »
I doubt I will ever be financially successful enough to own my own plane, and my chosen career means it will be very unlikely got me to be paid to fly. However I one day dream of owning one of these:

Offline ramjamslam

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 63
    • [SAC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2013, 04:58:44 pm »
does dreaming about falling count?

Offline Andika

• Salutes: 114
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2013, 01:27:14 pm »
Well I'm not planning on piloting either, but I do dream about trying out this one day. It's not even that expensive and I have already found a sports club that organizes such trips near my place:

Offline Rayvales

• Community Ambassador
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2013, 01:37:03 pm »
Hot airballoons, i allways wanted to try one of those myself :) seems so relaxing.
we tend to joke about living in a hot airballoon for some days just to 'log flight hours' Rofl, i do not think that counts sadly :(

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2013, 03:18:15 am »
I wanted to but I didn't think I'd pass the math to do it. I transferred school districts at the time algebra was to be taught. The district I went into was already ahead. Played catch up but lost all the base instruction I should have had. Pretty much blew me out of the water for piloting or game dev. Although I did get into a programming class in Jr.High and handled it fine, was real good at it too. But HS they wouldn't let me.

School is supposed to encourage kids but not me. Every time I told them what I wanted to do, they'd tell me I couldn't. Then I got into college and finally learned some of the stuff they told me I couldn't learn. Sigh...California public schools...holding kids back since the early 90s when they got rid of making education fun and brought in the test or die style of education.

Offline Sennan Farguard IV

• [WASP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2013, 07:59:31 pm »
I wanted to but I didn't think I'd pass the math to do it. I transferred school districts at the time algebra was to be taught. The district I went into was already ahead. Played catch up but lost all the base instruction I should have had. Pretty much blew me out of the water for piloting or game dev.

You've played Skies of Arcadia, so take Vyse's advice to Marco: never give up! I was always in the advanced math courses as a kid, and then a similar scenario occurred in high school and I fell far behind. Due to that, I went into nursing, but just recently decided to change careers and now I'm on track for an engineering degree. I started with the basics of mathematics to give myself a proper foundation again, as it's been nearly ten years since I graduated from high school, and I'm having a blast with the maths and sciences.

• [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2013, 02:27:04 am »
Yeah I was GATE program eligible in grade school but the program in this city was a big scam to get kid's parents to donate money to the district under the guise of AP level stuff. Friend of mine went into it. He regretted it. They had them doing more fundraising crap than actual learning and what was worse, they'd remove the kid from the program if they stopped doing whatever the program directors required.

Yeah when I took stuff again in college for a degree I did in a semester what I couldn't do in prolly 4-6 years of reg school.

From all of that it taught me one important thing...that K-12 education is 90% meaningless. Wish I had started in college.

Good to see another SoA fan. There is probably a handful of us in this game.

Offline macmacnick

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 121
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile: Macmacnick
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2014, 12:40:12 am »
Heh, the Californian Education system isn't very different... the GATE program was basically Useless(it did nothing) the district system is horrid; Transferred to a charter school, and haven't gone back, as it is hugely more efficient.

• [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2014, 03:33:27 am »
I wish I had. Probably would have appreciated school better. Had a horrific teacher in 3rd grade. She said she taught college too and overloaded us with homework nightly. Said it was for our own good and that we needed to be ready for the future. Wish I had transferred out of her class like others did. But no, I had to stay to be with the cute girl I had a crush on which I never had contact with again after 5th grade. Man kids are stupid to wreak their lives over a pretty face :D.

Whats worse, the district I transferred to later, held the same mindset she did. Jr.High overloaded us and had that excuse. That we needed to be worked to the bone because that is what high school was like. High school was mostly opposite but some of the teachers overloaded the kids and claimed that we needed to face the pressure because college was worse. Then I hit college...overwhelming urge to visit all those old teachers and slap them with lawsuits for ruining my childhood. Zomg college was complete heaven compared to them.

Public education can collapse for all I care. Sigh...sorry to all the teachers who may be in here. Child of teachers too but really, public education did more to ruin my life than it did to help.

Stay tuned folks, coming up next week I discuss Shakespeare and why I'd rather sit around watching monkeys eat bugs off each other for hours than listen or watch 5 mins of Shakespeare.

zlater75@hotmail.com

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2014, 07:49:46 am »
I feel i'm too old for dreaming about a change of employment, but my son is interested in it after having tried a flight training simulator the air force had while his class was on a field trip.
He was the only one in his class that could take off and land perfectly. Which is prob not a huge thing but i do think he'd have the talent.

Offline Coldcurse

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 164
    • [TFD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2014, 10:33:17 am »
I feel i'm too old for dreaming about a change of employment, but my son is interested in it after having tried a flight training simulator the air force had while his class was on a field trip.
He was the only one in his class that could take off and land perfectly. Which is prob not a huge thing but i do think he'd have the talent.
Better watch out later that he wont hook up your car to a chinook...

zlater75@hotmail.com

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2014, 06:34:11 pm »
He wouldn't dare and rules are too important to him. He might go fishing with one though.

Offline Rainer Zu Fall

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 26
    • [Prof]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2014, 08:14:15 pm »
So just wondering if there are any members of the community that dream about beeing a pilot?
Me myself i do that, and thats why i currently are studying to become one :) its a 2 year full school education (ATPL license)

Im hoping to end up working for Widerøe (norwegian airline)

I wish you good luck and much fun, Rayvales! :)

Offline Coldcurse

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 164
    • [TFD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2014, 02:25:28 am »
He wouldn't dare and rules are too important to him. He might go fishing with one though.
Fishing with a chinook? Just flying over a lake with his fishingrod out of the back?
I like the way your son is thinking.