Author Topic: Artemis  (Read 108993 times)

Offline Byron Cavendish

• Salutes: 89
    • [TB]
    • View Profile
    • The Brotherhood
Re: Artemis
« Reply #45 on: December 04, 2013, 11:16:59 pm »
The Gents were using the Hades competitively before anyone else, and have never stopped using it. We implemented as soon as it went live and we were pioneering builds with it in the dev app. That being said, it's great at mid range brawling, but not sustained enough for sniping. Take my word on that. The Mad Hatters have used a triple arti junker/merc double arti mobula against us in practice. It actually works really well, but we want to stick to our junker and galleon. The only reason you saw two junkers on Sunday was because I had a sub co-captain.

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 05, 2013, 12:20:26 am »
Merc arcs are pretty lousy. Too easy for ships to close on a merc boat before the mercs can do enough dmg. You are also heavily limited with mobility while using them which isn't attractive to pilots. You can thank all the whiners who raged at Muse to get mercs nerfed into the ground.

Offline Chrinus

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 10
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 05, 2013, 10:10:46 am »
Merc arcs are pretty lousy. Too easy for ships to close on a merc boat before the mercs can do enough dmg. You are also heavily limited with mobility while using them which isn't attractive to pilots. You can thank all the whiners who raged at Muse to get mercs nerfed into the ground.

Funny thing is, that nerf was not a single one of the changes proposed in the merc threads complaining. There was a lot of good discussion going on that could have solved the problem without touching anything about the weapon's handling but that was the route chosen seemingly out of thin air.

Offline Crafeksterty

• Salutes: 73
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 07, 2013, 03:06:57 am »
Like i said, 1 merc is not enough, it needs cooperation with another gun which actually makes the merc balanced. That AND it can disable heavy guns easily.
The Artemis still does the same job almost on the disabling department. But a better because of its AOE.

Also Gilder, do you even remember how the merc was effin OP? The complaint was not targeted at the weapon itself, it basically roflstomped people in pubs... by pubs.

• [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 07, 2013, 03:24:38 am »

Also Gilder, do you even remember how the merc was effin OP? The complaint was not targeted at the weapon itself, it basically roflstomped people in pubs... by pubs.

Your asking someone who flew in merc matches and won a tournament with mercs...yeah they were a bit powerful. Then they got nerfed and they were fine. Then they just kept getting nerfed into the state they're in now. This is what happens when people cry OP to Muse. Flames used to be the same way...now its taken most of a year for them to finally recover back to usable again.

Love Muse but man, some of their design changes, "improvements," are just infuriating.

Offline Spud Nick

• Salutes: 130
    • [✦✦45]
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 07, 2013, 05:40:48 am »
The ease of use is what got the merc nerfed. While not over powered the Artemis has the same issue.

Offline Sammy B. T.

• Salutes: 154
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 07, 2013, 09:50:52 am »
Outside of arc changes,  did anything change on the merc

Offline Spud Nick

• Salutes: 130
    • [✦✦45]
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 07, 2013, 09:58:40 am »
It lost a little projectile speed but it was mostly arc changes.

• [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 07, 2013, 10:21:32 pm »
Distance too. Part of the reason the 1300+m achievements are loads of crap. Unless the enemy is sitting still and you have range maintained perfectly, can't take down ships that far out without Mercs being able to hit in the 2000+ range. Need a few hundred to a 1000m buffer for enemy ship movement and as well as wind displacement on some maps.

They adjusted the weapons and it is possible for guns to hit the range now...but its very borderline. No room for error. If you drift slightly, you don't get credit. Then doing it 25x...such a steaming load of bs.

Offline The Djinn

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 19
    • [CA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 07, 2013, 11:27:32 pm »
They adjusted the weapons and it is possible for guns to hit the range now...but its very borderline. No room for error. If you drift slightly, you don't get credit. Then doing it 25x...such a steaming load of bs.

Completely agreed. I've been trying for that achievements with Spire/Galleons for a while now and, even with skilled Gunners, it's basically impossible.

Artemis has a max range of 1330m. Heavy Flak has a range of 1400m. Hades has a range of 1400m, but no one can reliably hit at that range. The only guns that can reliably kill at a greater range without running into huge issues from enemy movement and/or your own ship drifting are the Lumberjack + Mercury, which is a slow and unreliable kill at best.

And then, inevitably, a gunner misses a shot. Or an ally gets the kill. It's ridiculous.

Offline Captain Smollett

• Salutes: 122
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 08, 2013, 02:12:09 am »
Distance too. Part of the reason the 1300+m achievements are loads of crap. Unless the enemy is sitting still and you have range maintained perfectly, can't take down ships that far out without Mercs being able to hit in the 2000+ range. Need a few hundred to a 1000m buffer for enemy ship movement and as well as wind displacement on some maps.

The achievement is bad and probably should be changed but in my opinion the merc is fine.

Offline Byron Cavendish

• Salutes: 89
    • [TB]
    • View Profile
    • The Brotherhood
« Reply #56 on: December 08, 2013, 05:34:47 am »
As a gent, that achievement took me over two months. I pity the poor souls who are on it.

Offline The Djinn

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 19
    • [CA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 08, 2013, 10:11:39 am »
As a gent, that achievement took me over two months. I pity the poor souls who are on it.

This is telling indeed. An experienced captain of the most famous sniping clan took 2 months of play to get one achievement? Insane.

I've had it for a month now, and I've been playing sniper Spires/Galleons. GeoRmr even flew with me on about a half-dozen sniper Spire games where we actively TRIED for that achievement in particular, and he's a damn good gunner. We got...exactly one kill. 1/25, in a month if flying. I understand it's supposed to be difficult, but... :-/

• [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 09, 2013, 12:17:43 am »
I'm at 1/25 too and that kill wasn't anything to do with trying for it...I just mined the heck out of someone during a CP battle and then ran off. When he tried to rise he triggered a pack of mines and exploded. I just happened to be past 1300m when he blew up.

Offline Mattilald Anguisad

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 12
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 09, 2013, 08:31:33 am »
Lol I thought this is Atremis thread, not achievments thread.