Author Topic: Volcanic map  (Read 17004 times)

Offline Dutch Vanya

• Salutes: 107
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
Re: Volcanic map
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2013, 09:08:21 pm »
Sounds like an fps nightmare.

That. But if you take a look at the following idea, this might be quite limited compared to other maps.

What about a volcanic area instead that has volcanic rock formations that are some still glowing but the volcano itself spewing out a black cloud similar to tar?
That wouldn't add fire to it but similar to the sandclouds of dunes the black tar cloud would limit visibility and do some damage if you fly through it?

It could be something that got active due to the war and been dormant for centuries.

Many small volcano-mountain-things that randomly throw out those black tar clouds in a rocky mountainside with dark surroundings and sometimes glowing lavaseas ... Sounds lovely! If you'd limit the amount of clouds for a higher amount of randomly thrown out tar clouds you'd get the fps-problem under control - and introduce rugged, high mountains to limit visibility.

By the way - what about some forrest maps?

I also suggested a forest map, it would be amazing to fly airships through giant trees.

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2013, 12:00:59 am »
There is at least 2 major forests. Millersweald and then the Ridge Forest. I believe there is also an alpine forest up in Altwood but its speculation. I've spent a bit of time discussing them with the VN team to try and figure out a description for them if we wanted to use it.

Now also remember if the engine can't handle a forest map, there is a grassland and salt flats. Unfortunately these are probably flat areas and wouldn't look all that interesting for gameplay.

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 284
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2013, 01:44:22 am »
A forest map would not be too resource intensive if you went the 'Pandora' route with widely spaced, super massive trees. How would this fit into the setting? Maybe something like "No one knows what makes the trees of [whatever remote area] grow so large. The secret would be worth a fortune... much more than the ship hulls and spent lives that now litter the forest floor."

• [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2013, 02:20:20 am »
Ask Muse next time but I thought they said there was a performance reason why they couldn't. The little foliage we have in game is just bushes and very simple in design. Also dunno if it is Muse's intent to create Kashyyk in GOIO.

Offline Keon

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 105
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2013, 02:01:22 pm »
I really want a non-symmetric mode. Red burns/harvests/chops down the forest, blue saves the forest. Blue wins if time is up.

• [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2013, 03:45:42 pm »
No warsong please...

Offline Crafeksterty

• Salutes: 73
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
Other type maps
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2013, 10:19:16 pm »
I would love for more varying maps. Paritian Rumble&Labyrinth is that closterphobic city map.

We need more maps that are just challenging in a different way, but also more tactically playable maps like canyons.

Im thinking a huge cave map that is quite open but everywhere but the middle has no roof meaning a map with roof of rock the further from the middle.

Here i made artz

Offline Piemanlives

• Salutes: 155
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2013, 10:30:43 pm »
That's actually pretty cool, I'd like to see some more coastal based maps.

Offline ramjamslam

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 63
    • [SAC]
    • View Profile
Re: Other type maps
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2013, 11:39:41 pm »
I would love for more varying maps. Paritian Rumble&Labyrinth is that closterphobic city map.

We need more maps that are just challenging in a different way, but also more tactically playable maps like canyons.

Im thinking a huge cave map that is quite open but everywhere but the middle has no roof meaning a map with roof of rock the further from the middle.

Here i made artz

Nice, the second one reminds me of the 12 apostles in Australia.  With high gusting winds pushing airships up against the rocky coastline, it would be a fight to try to not get cornered up against the wall.

Offline The Sky Wolf

• Salutes: 43
    • [Wolƒ]
    • View Profile
Volcanic map, Coastal map, Forest map, High altitude map.
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2013, 11:30:24 pm »
We need it.