Author Topic: Pilot tool: Halon system  (Read 3403 times)

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 284
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
Pilot tool: Halon system
« on: November 02, 2013, 02:24:38 pm »
Just some thoughts on a possible helm tool for ship-wide emergency fire suppression. The Halon system would have to be a reactive tool with a good balance of pros and cons, more of a last resort than a main fire control feature. Here are some various thoughts I had. Feel free to add your own.

Usage and visual appearance:

Captain activates the tool, initiating fire control effects (possibles listed below). A ship-sized, bright white cloud forms around the ship. Clouds generate every .1 seconds, and last .5 seconds, creating the effect of traveling in a small cloud. Clouds stop as soon as the tool is not active.

Pros:

Each new cloud instantly puts out all fires (would have to be paired with a more severe con)
-or-
Each cloud removes a certain number of stacks per second (best option, in my mind. Pairs nicely with particle cloud effect listed below)
-or-
Has no fire suppression, but prevents new fires (meh).

Cons:

Main con is that, while active, your ship is completely blind. Your crew can not see outside of the halon cloud. Other ships, however, can still target you.
Pro in a con: Could be used as a stealth device before getting spotted. Just a little white raincloud, right?
-or-
On top of not being able to see, your ship is automatically spotted if any enemy ship is visible within 600-800 meters.

All ship components are slowed 10-30% while active. Effect lasts 2-4 seconds after tool is deactivated.
-or-
All ship components take damage per second. Less than 8 stacks of fire, but more than 2.

Since it is a particle cloud you have to be in to have any effect, traveling faster reduces the beneficial effects. Staying still means you are in more generated clouds.

No effect on ships hitting possible trailing clouds.

Offline Crafeksterty

• Salutes: 73
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
Re: Pilot tool: Halon system
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2013, 03:26:50 am »
I dont know, The pilot allready can do their share with the ship. The engineers are the ones that need a new tool to play with.

The chemspray is very helpfull versus consistent fires. I mean, you only need to chemspray baloon and hull... Engines are secondary.

Combine that with this tool of any magnitude that you listed, youve pretty much disabled every fire weapon.

But... i would love for a cloud making pilot tool that takes away visibility. The tar can only do so much, that mostly pyras and squid use it, and not for the visibility sake.