Author Topic: Captain loadout order  (Read 6218 times)

zlater75@hotmail.com

Captain loadout order
« on: November 01, 2013, 11:47:55 am »
Captains can see their crew loadout which is great but how about taking it one step further?

Give captains ability to order (suggest) loadout for each crewmember in their team and a small accept and deny button for the suggested loadout from captain.

Like the captain could "edit" each crewmembers loadout (gunner + engineer) and when he clicked on the suggested loadouts "customisation complete" button it would give the crewmember a PM "Your Captain wishes you to change Character loadout" and when crewmember went to character he'd see the suggested loadout visible with changes enhanced and the accept and decline buttons below. If accepted it would change to that and normalise, if decline it would go back to what was before.

This wouldn't be to make crew lazy, but to give the captain a order benefit and make it easier to help new players get the right desired loadout their captain suggests.

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 144
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
Re: Captain loadout order
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2013, 12:19:52 pm »
Seems more intrusive then anything, and with them still being able to deny your request, it doesn't really do much more then asking them to change in crew chat already.

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 284
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2013, 12:32:42 pm »
This has been briefly discussed here https://gunsoficarus.com/community/forum/index.php/topic,2586.0.html

More of a time saver thing, really. Making loadout requests in chat or voice does add extra lobby time.

zlater75@hotmail.com

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2013, 12:34:25 pm »
Gotcha, Zill. Then how about adding these three features in addition to it?

- Suggestion only in PM if accepted, loadout automatically changes to that, if denied PM disappears.
- Time out on PM loadout order after 5 seconds (max 10) to Selfdestruct PM notice or popup.
- max amount of PM notice, three times per lobby.

That shouldn't be too intrusive compared to voice or crewchatspam? 5 second PM can be ignored.

Offline Thomas

• Salutes: 80
    • [SPQR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2013, 04:58:50 pm »
I'm not sure it's entirely necessary or desired. At the high level of play, most crew will automatically go with what the captain suggests anyways; some even go so far as to ask them directly what to bring. For helping new players, you'd essentially be giving them a crutch, making them take longer to figure out how to change their loadout, and possibly preventing them from experimenting. There's also the people that absolutely hate being told what to do and bring, and this feature could get on their nerves. Then there's how it would affect the captains that already refuse to ready unless everyone brings exactly what they desire to a match. Suddenly they'd have a feature backing up their demands, possibly giving them a bit more of a power complex.

In the end it could save some time, but is it worth taking the time and effort to develop a new feature that shaves off 10 seconds of typing (and even less time talking)?

zlater75@hotmail.com

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2013, 05:09:17 pm »
Valid points, and i agree..
It would only really serve the really new ones that wouldn't know where to start to change class or loadout.

So probably a futile and unnecessary idea.

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2013, 05:40:20 pm »
The main advantage I can see in this feature is helping communicate with non English speakers. Trying to explain "burst rounds" or "heavy clip" through goggle translate is next to impossible. However this is a rare occurrence. In my 700+ hours of play I have encountered it maybe five times.

More often the issue is a crew member doesn't want to follow orders. In this case no amount of asking, coaxing or begging will make him a part of the team.  Even if I could force his load out, I can't count on this type of person to do their job anyway. Since there is no kick feature I have been leaving games when I encounter this sort of person. I know of other captains and even whole lobbies to do the same.

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 144
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2013, 06:24:12 pm »
In this case no amount of asking, coaxing or begging will make him a part of the team.  Even if I could force his load out, I can't count on this type of person to do their job anyway. Since there is no kick feature I have been leaving games when I encounter this sort of person.

That so much. If I ask and they argue/refuse/ignore me then what should i be expecting in-game? A loyal crewmate willing to listen to orders?

The interaction  required now also lets me know what kind of crew i have and to expect if i do go forth.

Im not here to drive your idea into dust and out people's minds, just I dont think the proposed system is really needed and could hurt more then help.

Offline Captain Smollett

• Salutes: 122
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2013, 06:33:20 pm »
I actually kind of like the idea.

Relatively frequently I'll get a brand new player, who is willing to listen but really really green to the game.  And about 3 times this week it took a really long time to explain to them what tools to bring: "no not the spanner, the pipe wrench and can you bring a spyglass please, no greased rounds, the ammo without the lines on the side of them" etc etc.

It may not be worth the coding and the ui but it would certainly get new players up to speed faster and possibly get the average player into their loadout quicker.

Offline Cid Ferringer

• Salutes: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2013, 10:29:42 pm »
Or you could suggest that they add a Text label below each tool/ammo, instead of just the tooltip, so you can see what all the tools/ammo are called.
That would help newbies a lot with getting the right stuff and you would memorize the names more easily.

zlater75@hotmail.com

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2013, 01:01:56 am »
Well.. i got the idea from many matches where level 1-3 players joined and were confused as to how they should change, why and to what.

appretiate it if someone thinks it's an ok idea, but i try understand why it wouldn't be and if possible change it a little to adapt to those points. It needs some more thinking and good to discuss and share before a verdict.

If it was restricted to use for level 1-3 players maybe? I mean they have the beginner matches but they don't get to see how the patches impact the gameplay and are many times lost in the other matches when trying to be part of a more seasoned crew. Again, for that use it could be something worth while, but if another coding nightmare it may not be worth the effort?