Author Topic: New Game Mode - 2v2v2/1v1v1  (Read 17260 times)

Offline Cl ick to Ca p t ain

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 25
    • [?]
    • View Profile
    • ṋ̟̳̪͒ͦ͑ͯ͒̓̾͌̓ͥ̐̓o̹̗̭̝̪͚͖͙̖̝̳͔̮̟͙͆ͬ̇̋͗̒ͮͭ͌ͥ̀ͩͮ̆͛ͭ͐̈́ ̝̘̟̝̥̭͔̼͓͖̘̜̦̰͒͊̒͆̃ͩ͛̋͋̎̂̊̏͆ͣ̚ͅ ͓̦̖͔̖̞̟̱͉̪͇̮̫͉̀͋̆͗̑̽̿̚ͅ ̥͍͚̣̂̈́ͪ͋̂ͥ̊ͧͣ͌̉̇̓͆ͨ̔ͤ̍ ̫͇͕̤̣̩̗͎̭̙̱͔̘̝͖̀ͭ̆͂̈́ͅ ͎̹͓̼͖̥̤̗ͦͤ̈̄̚ͅt͎̞̺̱̜̺̋̋̊͗ͬ͗ͪͩ̈ͮ̽̐̉̀̅ͫ̃h̤̺͎͖̯͈͍̲͛͂̉́̎̂̔̚ ̯̲͓̭̬̱͈̟̳͒͒̉̈̊͊ͅͅ ̘͓͈͚̦ͪ̽͑ͣ̓ͦ͊̐̿̇̈́ ͪͨ͛̌̔̽͆ͬͪ̂̐
New Game Mode - 2v2v2/1v1v1
« on: October 28, 2013, 06:23:41 pm »
The idea is simple, 3 teams.

Discuss.

Offline Riggatto

• Salutes: 60
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
Re: New Game Mode - 2v2v2/1v1v1
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2013, 06:34:47 pm »
1v1v1? Ain't that just free for all? Anyway,  I think the 2v2v2 is a nice idea,  though it might make some awkward moments, do you shoot your enemy? Or your other enemy?

+0.5 from me

Offline Ariden

• Salutes: 21
    • [SAC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2013, 06:44:11 pm »
2v2v2 sounds like an okay idea, not sure about the 1v1v1 because I really like the idea of teamwork in all the game and if you make that option available then newer people would go for the 1v1v1 because it's more convenient to fight for yourself when you first start, which ruins the idea of communication and therefore (possibly) a closer community. Otherwise I haven't encountered a situation where 2v2v2 would be nice or convenient either.

Offline NoWuffo

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 24
    • [COx]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2013, 05:24:17 am »
I don't think a 1v1v1 would ever fly with Muse (hehe... get it?). They've said for a while now that they have no intention of having a 1v1 option, as the game shouldn't be one ship verses another. There's not enough balance in the world to make that happen. They want the game to be more teamwork based, hence 2v2, so that a combo of ships can compliment each other and balance each other out.

Now, your 2v2v2 idea... you may be onto something there... Dibs on Green Team!

zlater75@hotmail.com

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2013, 05:31:37 am »
I think they didn't like the 1vs1vs1 in fireside chat but idk what they feel about 2vs2vs2. In worst case scenario it might turn into 4vs2 but i would like the idea also then it would be close to a tdm mode. I've played before in fps games that have a lot of multiple species and tdm was my favourite but then there's the teamwork to keep in mind. Maybe it should be tested?

Pink team for nowuffo :D

Offline NoWuffo

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 24
    • [COx]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2013, 05:33:11 am »
Pink team for nowuffo :D

It's LIGHTISH RED!!

Offline Thomas

• Salutes: 80
    • [SPQR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2013, 03:57:16 pm »
Part of me thinks it could be really interesting, while the other part of me thinks it could get pretty ugly in those types of matches. I don't think we'd be able to handle a 3v3v3 since 3v3 and 4v4 tend to get a little choppy as is.

But for a 2v2, do you still use the same scoring system for kills? This might restrict certain choices for ships, because you have to worry about your other enemy killing your current target. Which can lead to all sorts of rage and fighting between players (picture how mad people can get when even just allies steal their kills in other games). So disabling and balloon popping builds might not be as viable, forcing everyone to go the piercing/explosive route. (The time to kill for those builds is dramatically longer than for the piercing/explosive; allowing more time for someone to take your kill or just shoot you in the back).

What might work better in this situation is a score system change. Instead of getting points for killing, the team loses points for dying. This makes them care a lot less about kill steals, but more about staying alive. However, this can also influence ship builds, as teams may try taking out the 'softer' ships first, or encouraging everyone to bring the tougher to kill ships. (Something like 'stock matches' in fighting games; Super Smash Brothers anyone?) Whether is a 'team lives' or individual ship, although making it team could cause some in-team fighting when one ship dies over and over again, while the other stays alive longer.

And then you get the 4v2 scenarios, where 2 teams gang up on one of them. It might be two high level teams picking out the low level, or even two low level teams taking out the biggest threat (or maybe they just don't like pink). Overall I don't feel there's a bullet proof method of preventing this, and we'd just have to trust the players to be good sports.

Offline Gryphos

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2013, 04:04:51 pm »
I think 2v2v2 is a great idea. And about the whole 4v2 scenarios, you have to take into account that it would not quite so easy as your making out to ally with another team. What's to stop them backstabbing you as you begin the attack on the third team? It's precisely because of this that I think 2v2v2 would be great.

• Community Ambassador
    • [?]
    • View Profile
    • ṋ̟̳̪͒ͦ͑ͯ͒̓̾͌̓ͥ̐̓o̹̗̭̝̪͚͖͙̖̝̳͔̮̟͙͆ͬ̇̋͗̒ͮͭ͌ͥ̀ͩͮ̆͛ͭ͐̈́ ̝̘̟̝̥̭͔̼͓͖̘̜̦̰͒͊̒͆̃ͩ͛̋͋̎̂̊̏͆ͣ̚ͅ ͓̦̖͔̖̞̟̱͉̪͇̮̫͉̀͋̆͗̑̽̿̚ͅ ̥͍͚̣̂̈́ͪ͋̂ͥ̊ͧͣ͌̉̇̓͆ͨ̔ͤ̍ ̫͇͕̤̣̩̗͎̭̙̱͔̘̝͖̀ͭ̆͂̈́ͅ ͎̹͓̼͖̥̤̗ͦͤ̈̄̚ͅt͎̞̺̱̜̺̋̋̊͗ͬ͗ͪͩ̈ͮ̽̐̉̀̅ͫ̃h̤̺͎͖̯͈͍̲͛͂̉́̎̂̔̚ ̯̲͓̭̬̱͈̟̳͒͒̉̈̊͊ͅͅ ̘͓͈͚̦ͪ̽͑ͣ̓ͦ͊̐̿̇̈́ ͪͨ͛̌̔̽͆ͬͪ̂̐
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2013, 09:24:26 am »
Part of me thinks it could be really interesting, while the other part of me thinks it could get pretty ugly in those types of matches. I don't think we'd be able to handle a 3v3v3 since 3v3 and 4v4 tend to get a little choppy as is.

But for a 2v2, do you still use the same scoring system for kills? This might restrict certain choices for ships, because you have to worry about your other enemy killing your current target. Which can lead to all sorts of rage and fighting between players (picture how mad people can get when even just allies steal their kills in other games). So disabling and balloon popping builds might not be as viable, forcing everyone to go the piercing/explosive route. (The time to kill for those builds is dramatically longer than for the piercing/explosive; allowing more time for someone to take your kill or just shoot you in the back).

What might work better in this situation is a score system change. Instead of getting points for killing, the team loses points for dying. This makes them care a lot less about kill steals, but more about staying alive. However, this can also influence ship builds, as teams may try taking out the 'softer' ships first, or encouraging everyone to bring the tougher to kill ships. (Something like 'stock matches' in fighting games; Super Smash Brothers anyone?) Whether is a 'team lives' or individual ship, although making it team could cause some in-team fighting when one ship dies over and over again, while the other stays alive longer.

And then you get the 4v2 scenarios, where 2 teams gang up on one of them. It might be two high level teams picking out the low level, or even two low level teams taking out the biggest threat (or maybe they just don't like pink). Overall I don't feel there's a bullet proof method of preventing this, and we'd just have to trust the players to be good sports.

I think you're over complicating the concept, there is no need for a scoring change, and I honestly don't think people would have to worry about a 4v2 situation, simply because that's not how it works, and only one team can win. As for kill stealing imo that's something I have never heard in a serious sense in this game, though since it would matter on the teams score I can see how people would get frustrate but that would just lead to that team targeting the team stealing their kills more than the other.

It sounds like it would be a bit chaotic, ships blowing up everywhere, engis having anxiety attacks, human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together, but that's what the game mode is about, mass hysteria!

Offline Thomas

• Salutes: 80
    • [SPQR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2013, 09:38:09 am »
It certainly sounds like a fun game mode, but I can see it making a lot of people very angry with 'kill stealing' and '2v1-ing' (team-wise). The 2v1 won't happen as much in a kill based score system (although teams are more likely to shoot for the 'weaker' ships), but kill stealing, or at the very least 'perceived' kill stealing would be pretty rampant.

Should start a poll up on it. I can see it being a whole heap of fun on occasion, but I can still see droves of players getting a little feisty because of a match style like that.

Offline Vainamoinen

• Salutes: 1
    • [VAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2013, 11:18:36 am »
I was also thinking about proposing the 2v2v2 idea last week =).

I'm really in favor of the feature as it would allow beginner teams to go 2v1 vs the "pro" team.
It could also show some nice stuff strategy wise.

On top of that it's a reusable feature as the Adventure mode will have so many countries fighting.
Having a multicountry fight scenario will have to be done and in that case it will already be done.

Offline Scorpione

• Salutes: 8
    • [404]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2013, 02:55:56 pm »
What about a Crazy King with the proposed 2vs2vs2 ? This way the whole "steal kills / scoring system" would not be a problem.

• Community Ambassador
    • [?]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2013, 03:40:46 pm »
What about a Crazy King with the proposed 2vs2vs2 ? This way the whole "steal kills / scoring system" would not be a problem.

I think crazy king would be a bit broken as a 2v2v2 with people unable to score any points due to a total clusterfrak on each active point, though maybe they could bring resource race back as a 2v2v2.

Offline Gambrill

• Salutes: 26
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2013, 06:37:53 pm »
1v1v1 to me just sounds like 'QUICK. GATLING AND MORTAR WHILE WE RAM THEM!!!!!!1111!1!1!1!!'    2v2v2 soudns great though :P wether or not to jump into a fight already happening or wait until they tire each other out and sweep in ;)

Offline Serenum

• Salutes: 12
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2013, 06:41:35 am »
2v2v2 is an interetsing concept, even if I would like it better if it was something like the old resource race. Not strictly a deathmatch but an objective based game.