Author Topic: I have such a weird Junker... Questions and Discussion  (Read 22376 times)

Offline Alistair MacBain

• Salutes: 23
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
Re: I have such a weird Junker... Questions and Discussion
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2013, 05:00:14 pm »
Yeah it is actually basicly the higher bullet speed with lesmok which u have to get used to. But the thing is the gat nerf that makes it bid harder. U have to time different cause of the 1.25 less bullets/s on the gat.

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2013, 05:12:30 pm »
That's true. I think it'll really just promote teamwork even more, since a single gat will now have a lot more trouble stripping armour.

Offline Captain Blueberry

• Salutes: 1
    • [VAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2013, 03:48:55 am »
Since the patch there are a lot more viable builds for any ship. So I think the junker is now an even more diverse ship. So why don't we share our new setups and throw around some odd ideas?

artemis front, hades/artemis and gat/artemis side. Works fairly well as a disabler build. it doesn't kill as fast but is still a very fun ship to run.

Artemis front, hades/flak and carronade/mortar side as a general brawler.

Flak front, hades/hades and gat/gat side. I have no idea if this could actually work, maybe with a good crew...

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2013, 08:29:21 pm »
Since the Artemis got buffed I have been running a 3x Artemis Junker with a gat mortar side. If using a Hwacha is like using a bucket for fire fighting; using a triple Artemis is like using a hose for the same purpose. Finishing is still done with the gat morter, but assisting a teammate from long range and weakening an opponent before an engagement is a lot easier with an Artemis trifecta.

Offline Captain Rico

• Salutes: 0
    • [SKH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2013, 07:27:26 am »
Piloting and commanding the glorious Hohernzollern.
58 Matches played, 55 won (3 lost mostly because I was not piloting my Junker xD)
Kill/Death 179:38

upper deck:
portside and starboard Whirlwind Light Gatling Guns

foreship deck:
depends on the enemy but NEVER a harpoon. It's poison for my tactics.

battery deck:
portside and starboard Scylla Double-barelled Mortars

Crewmen:
Pilot (Captain)
Gunner (Premade and my first mate)
Engineer
Engineer/Gunner

At first I'm glad I have such a good first mate like my friend. He's sitting on the battery deck, mans the Scyllas and does the needed repairs for the main engine und the Scyllas themselves. Also he scouts what's below us because you often can't see enemy ships while standing on the quarterdeck.

The random gunner is taking the upper deck and mans the Whirlwinds.

The random engineer mans the foreship weapon and does the repairs.

Tactics and why I take this symmetrical weaponry

The Junker is a damn fast ship, heavy armed and got a nice maneuverability. It's weaknesses are his really long nacelle which needs a detailed briefing of your crew, and it's balloon.
You got mortars and a weak balloon, so take a Hydrogen Canister as pilot and  most of your problems are gone.

I dont run a classic hitn'n'run tactic and I dont snipe. I harass, I annoy, I destroy. Know the enemy's weaknesses. A galleon for example. Why should I try to fight it broadside? I go up, fly straight to him, stay above his batterydeck's weapon's angle and then I'm free to do whatever I want. Pop the balloon, take out the engines, whatever.

As pilot you have a hard job piloting a Junker. You have to take paths no normal pilot would take, you dont only have to think in 3 dimensions (many pilots are only thinking in 2). Time is also your friend.
Your weapons are broken? Tell all your gunners to repair and get the hell out of the fight. You're faster. If there's something faster than you it's no threat. Prepare your fights, think of the possible ways the enemy vessel can take. That's why I take a symmetrical weaponry. You have to be flexible. "starboard weaponry destroyed? All men, arm the portside weaponry!" Turn your ship and fire. All weapons destroyed? Flee.

The Whirlwinds penetrate your enemy's modules and armor, the Scyllas do the rest. That's your tactic. Tell your crewmen.
That's my secret. A detailed briefing. Tell your crewmen about your tactics, your weapons and your thoughts. It's no democracy, but it's transparent. Let them know you want to turn right, tell them to man the left side, even if there aren't any vessels. Talk, always talk, but dont talk rubbish. Give instructions, give an intel, motivate them.

Do you want to use Kerosene or Moonshine? Tell your crew "I'm going to boost. Engineer to the engines!"
Your engineer can run up to the quarterdeck and your gunners know the engineer has something to do and they have to repair their stuff by themselves.
"I'm going into the fog on a low altitude. Man the Whirlwinds and repair the ship." You dont need to man the mortars if any threat only can come from above.

Anymore questions? Just ask :)

---

"Crewmen, there are no better or worse ships out there, only better or worse crews and ships with different roles. Our Junker's role is to provide enough firepower to make the opponent think twice before turning into our direction...and to smash him if he does.
The Galleon's role is to look pretty and have a glorious death. And, by the Gods, mates...at that role it really shines!"
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 07:36:40 am by Captain Rico »

Offline Alistair MacBain

• [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2013, 07:51:21 am »
Thats a standard build with the exception u have for some weird reason the gats on top. So they cant fire constantly.

Offline Captain Rico

• [SKH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2013, 09:06:13 am »
well...I dont read guides so I didnt know it was standard :)
i fitted my ship by testing infight :)

As long as the balloon is my weakest spot i try to be on a higher level, then the enemy vessel.
As i'm not on my guns i trust the recommendations of my first mate who said Whirlwinds on the upper deck do more fit to our playstyle than being on the battery deck.

Offline Alistair MacBain

• [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2013, 09:29:05 am »
Thats just the killing meta that was there for most of the time. Disabling was just buffed in last patch so things changed.
Gat mortar was and still is one of the best if not the best combo to kill an enemy.
And its not said by playstyle that a constant gatfire is more effective than a constant mortar fire. The mortars job is to finish the enemy within one clip when the armor was destroyed by the gatling. So yeah a gat is more effective when it can fire constantly which is granted when its on the bottom deck.
Just watch some cogs vods or any other highlvl match and u will see what i mean.

Offline Spud Nick

• Salutes: 130
    • [✦✦45]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2013, 09:45:45 am »
You should have your gunner/first mate play as a engineer too. That way he can buff the main engine and lower deck guns while the other engineers keep an eye on the top deck.

Offline DMaximus

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 28
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2013, 09:53:12 am »
I personally prefer having a gunner on the mortars below deck, since they benefit more than the gat from multiple ammo types. Of course, this doesn't really matter if you're running 3 engis like a lot of Cogs teams do. In that case it makes sense to have the gats on the bottom.

Offline Alistair MacBain

• [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2013, 10:08:23 am »
There is a reason most cogs teams run trip engi or at least gat botdeck. U can use a gunner there. With heavy and greased he can optimize the gat at long and closerange.
That mortar just needs to fire when the hull is down. It just distracts the timings when you have constant mortarfire which will lead to a slower kill.

Offline Gambrill

• Salutes: 26
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2013, 02:00:24 pm »
Thats a standard build with the exception u have for some weird reason the gats on top. So they cant fire constantly.
don't fully understand what you mean by this..

And captain rico thats the ship my pilot uses... im his first mate when we play together ;) and its a beauty :)

Offline Alistair MacBain

• [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2013, 02:03:42 pm »
I mean that this kill oriented build is much more effective if u get constant fire by the gatling which is granted when its bottom deck or at least easier to manage cause the only job the mortar has to do is killing within one clip after the armor is down and this is done by the gat.

Offline Captain Smollett

• Salutes: 122
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2013, 12:23:43 am »
You guys looked past all the awesome captaining advice Rico layed down. 

Communicating strategy and tactics to crew as well as piloting maneuvers.  I'm guessing by his levels he's relatively new but seems to have figured out things that far more experienced players are still working on.

Offline Captain Rico

• [SKH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2013, 09:21:01 am »
But you forget one thing about the mortar: the pilot who's steering the vessel getting hit.

You dont have to make much damage if you want the enemy captain make mistakes. They just see aoe hits everywhere.

Yesterday I tried playing with the gats on the lower deck and my KD-ratio fell significantly. I dont know why.
Sometimes you just have to try something and forget the numbers on the background.
In my honest opinion it's more important to to fit your ship suiting your playstyle than changing your playstyle by hook or by crook so you can pilot a "perfectly fitted" ship :)

I'm guessing by his levels he's relatively new but seems to have figured out things that far more experienced players are still working on.

And thank you  :P
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 09:23:00 am by Captain Rico »