Author Topic: Loading Tips  (Read 11783 times)

Offline Captain Magellan

• Salutes: 13
    • [VAL]
    • View Profile
Loading Tips
« on: August 28, 2013, 09:23:45 pm »
Just had a totally random idea. But I think it would help new guys pick up the tips and tricks if we have them periodically pop up in the loading screens. I don't know about you guys, but I learn a LOT from games with those. Seriously. They get old after awhile, but oh well. A new pilot wondering how ramming is any good reads a tip about using Moonshine to get extra angular drag so he doesn't turn too much afterwards. Tips for an engi on damage absorption using spanners and pipe wrenches to repair sometimes instead of ALWAYS using the mallet.

Offline Erheller

• Salutes: 9
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
Re: Loading Tips
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2013, 11:46:50 pm »
That's a good idea. This way, even the people who choose to skip the tutorial will be forced to learn a little (unless they shift-tab to read something else).

We even have a bunch of tips already in this thread!

Offline Rainer Zu Fall

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 26
    • [Prof]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013, 10:46:41 am »
This game needs much background information, depending on the class, ship and map you play. So if you thought about implementing those tips in the loading screen (instead of putting a small minimap and a description as well as lore there), you'd have to implement really, really much.
This can be done by either putting much informiation in each loading screen, which the players that skipped tutorial and game manual probably won't read as well, or by putting less information in there a) with lore, minimap and map objective or b) without lore, minimap or map objective. This would either take much time to learn the game by only that in b) or just be too much information in a).

Offline Captain Magellan

• [VAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2013, 08:35:32 pm »
All I'm talking about is a short "Hey did you know?" at the bottom. Just put in a slightly large letters with TIP next to it and presto: noob now understands to pre-buff things.

Offline evodoc

• Muse Games
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2013, 08:37:15 pm »
All I'm talking about is a short "Hey did you know?" at the bottom. Just put in a slightly large letters with TIP next to it and presto: noob now understands to pre-buff things.

I like that.

Offline Rainer Zu Fall

• CA Mod
    • [Prof]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2013, 09:50:43 am »
Don't get me wrong, I like the idea too, I just don't think it would be as effective as you imagine it because of the reasons stated above.

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2013, 10:08:42 am »
I disagree on that, Rainer... There's no harm in putting simple tips like "Hey, did you know that moonshine can prevent you from spinning when rammed?" or "Did you know that you can hit the Pyramidion's main engine from underneath?"

Offline Rainer Zu Fall

• CA Mod
    • [Prof]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2013, 10:33:31 am »
I just don't think it would be as effective as you imagine it

I didn't write that it's bad and that it wouldn't help. It doesn't do harm and it would help in fact.

Offline N-Sunderland

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2013, 10:36:18 am »
There are a bunch of simple things that a lot of players don't know that could make a huge difference to them, like the Pyra engine thing. I actually think it could really help smooth the learning curve out a bit.

Offline DMaximus

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 28
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2013, 02:07:04 pm »
"Did you know that communication is important in this game? Having a mic really helps."

On a less snarky notes, Things like M for map, X for voice chat and C for captain's would make great loading tips. 

Offline Rainer Zu Fall

• CA Mod
    • [Prof]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2013, 03:02:46 pm »
Explaining my statement, since it doesn't seem to be understood: I approve of this idea, I'm all pro introducing those tool tips.
I just wanted to show some ways it can be done and what pros and cons they may bring, as well as influencing teaching, which it probably won't replace though, no matter which way.

Offline N-Sunderland

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2013, 03:08:04 pm »
I got your point, Rainer, though it seems that you expect that we expect something different from this. Obviously it wouldn't replace teaching. That's not the goal at all. The point is to let players know about tricks and concepts that would otherwise escape them. It still wouldn't be able to explain all the subtleties of manoeuvring, efficient repairs, etc., but once again that's not the idea behind it. It'd be extremely effective as a complement to teaching, but not as a substitute to it.

Offline Captain Magellan

• [VAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2013, 03:22:50 pm »
Yeah, not to replace teaching, just extra tips. I mean, I was freakin' psyched when I was playing Brotherhood that I found out (from a loading tip) that you can press space when in the air and FREAKIN DIVE LIKE A BOSS INTO WATER. <EPIC

Offline Eukari

• Salutes: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2013, 04:01:28 pm »
There's a lot of little things that are important, but maybe people forget to mention or whatever. Stuff like:

"Explosive guns do more damage to the hull; hold fire until the armor breaks to cause the most mayhem!"
"Captains can talk to other captains on their team by pressing the 'C' button!"
"A ship with no guns can't hurt you; target the enemy's weapons to leave them defenseless!"
"Switching ammo types makes you reload; make sure you have what you need before the shooting starts!"
"Start with Heavy Clip to increase your effective range, then switch to something else when the enemy is nearby!"
"Extra healing is wasted! Don't just use the Rubber Mallet to fix small amounts of damage!"
"Buffing just one turning engine can throw off your pilot; make sure to keep things even!"
"Call out the enemy's position to your teammates to keep everyone on the same page!"
"Talk with other players in the lobby before you start; an ounce of planning can create a pound of victory!"

Offline Captain Phil

• Community Ambassador
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
    • DeviantART
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2013, 06:22:18 pm »
I read tips in most games since there is nothing else to do in the wait screen, and some of the times I see things that I never knew existed. I am in full support of having these little tips pop up.