Author Topic: Gun Ports  (Read 3601 times)

Offline Kharthynogus

• Salutes: 3
    • View Profile
Gun Ports
« on: August 27, 2013, 03:19:08 am »
I think something that could spice up the gameplay and expand new ship design/customization possibilities would be gun ports on ships. Essentially, a particular set of guns on a given ship would be protected by the armor and hull (closed ports) until someone mounts any of said guns (opened ports). This would prevent your ship from being completely disarmed from a distance and allow engineers to focus on more defensive repairs (hull, balloon, engines) while you close the distance. This would also translate into not losing your guns the instant you rebuild them, thus allowing you to fully repair them before using them again. The catch is that it would take an amount of time for the gun port to open, so you couldn't just immediately open fire once you mount the gun.

I've got some expansion to this (different ways it could be implemented and stuff) but I wanted to just throw this out here first before making some long-winded, be-all-end-all post.

Offline Imagine

• Salutes: 59
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch Stream
Re: Gun Ports
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2013, 10:53:33 am »
Ok, look, you've been posting here for quite a while now, and I continually wonder, how are your levels still 1/1/1? I'm actually genuinely curious, by now if you're playing the game you at least accidentally hit level 2 in something.

Offline Captain Smollett

• Salutes: 122
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
Re: Gun Ports
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2013, 11:01:06 am »
While we don't have gun ports you can sort of do this now. If someone shoots out a gun you're not currently using or that's out of range simply rebuild the gun almost all the way until it only needs one more hit. When you want to use it again, 1 spanner and one mallet hit will have it good as new in under 2 seconds.