Author Topic: Countering the pyramidion gatling/mortar setup  (Read 24340 times)

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
Re: Countering the pyramidion gatling/mortar setup
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2013, 11:55:59 pm »
Pyra's are really easy to counter with just about any ship.

This. I was thinking about how ships perform in 1v1s (which do occur in 2v2 battles all the time) against each other, and the Pyra doesn't have very many good matchups to be honest. Assuming equal skill and a good understanding of each ship by the crews, the Pyra will usually get beaten by the Junker, the Galleon, the Squid (seriously), and even some Goldfishes. But then there's the Spire. Yeah. Forget about that one.

Offline Letus

• Salutes: 34
    • [SAC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2013, 01:18:52 am »

This. I was thinking about how ships perform in 1v1s (which do occur in 2v2 battles all the time) against each other, and the Pyra doesn't have very many good matchups to be honest. Assuming equal skill and a good understanding of each ship by the crews, the Pyra will usually get beaten by the Junker, the Galleon, the Squid (seriously), and even some Goldfishes. But then there's the Spire. Yeah. Forget about that one.

Taken out many Ram-Happy Pyramidions with a Lumber spire...
A.  Lumber.  Spire.

Really funny when they go for the ram, lose balloon, and harmlessly pass below you......
and then they're pretty much dead after that....

Offline Keon

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 105
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2013, 01:57:04 am »

I don't know, my merc-heavy flak spire was working pretty well a while ago. Not pyra well, but decent.

Offline Letus

• [SAC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2013, 02:10:53 am »

I don't know, my merc-heavy flak spire was working pretty well a while ago. Not pyra well, but decent.

Saying that once hull is down, a two full heavy flak clip can obliterate pyramidions...
well a two full clips except for Lesmok.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 02:14:31 am by Letus »

Offline Zenark

• Salutes: 41
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2013, 10:37:19 am »
Flak/merc Spire is awesome against a ramming Pyramidion. If you know they're coming, you've got plenty of time to take them down, and if you know how, you can kite backwards and drop mines. They either have to turn to avoid the mines which severely decreases their speed, slow to a stop, hit a mine which will knock them out of trajectory, or rise and elevate, but a good miner can make a pretty effective wall. I had my doubts at first, but it works incredibly well.

Offline Keon

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 105
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2013, 11:12:02 am »
Yep, you run the risk of a longer-range ship going sniper on you, but if they try to brawl you've got a good shot.

Offline Letus

• [SAC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2013, 12:23:07 pm »
Flak/merc Spire is awesome against a ramming Pyramidion. If you know they're coming, you've got plenty of time to take them down, and if you know how, you can kite backwards and drop mines. They either have to turn to avoid the mines which severely decreases their speed, slow to a stop, hit a mine which will knock them out of trajectory, or rise and elevate, but a good miner can make a pretty effective wall. I had my doubts at first, but it works incredibly well.

And mines...well for me...Iunno, I'm more evil with mines than the Lumberjack...but mines seem to be hilariously effective at stopping these guys.
Last Night, Zuka and I...were making ships rocket jump TF2 style...very hilarious when you have a Mobula blast over your head way beyond top speed because of mines...but that's off topic...

If you place them well, you can keep a ship out of its arc...or smash it into the ground...or a mountain........just by the concussion of the blast...

Offline Slag

• Salutes: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2013, 02:27:14 pm »
I just started using that combo, and yeah it's a FAST kill especially combined with my ramming into them. I've also had success with flame up front on the Pyramid too.

This. That build can take out any ship in the initial barrage by ramming them. It's crazy. I flew one a few times and i felt way better at the game than I actually am.

Offline treseritops

• Salutes: 6
    • [WOLF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2013, 12:00:17 am »
A specific set-up that I ran into yesterday that was near impossible to beat was actually a Mobula. Here's the set up from left of the captain to right of the captain. Credit goes to Romankar.

Artemis- Gatling- Merc- Flak- Artemis

In the heat of battle engi up top, engies on artemises. Our pyra starts to try to get close but by the time we do we've possibly/probably lost a front gun, and taken a hit to the hull armor. Ways to counter? Use kerosene to try to get close faster at which point mobula backs up and now we have a gun down, hull already low (not out), and engines weakened as well.

When we get up close the engies move to gat, flak and artemis. 3 guns on you. Plus you might have a gun down so it's 3v1 or 3v0 worst case scenario.

The Mobula doesn't even try to repair, it knows it will kill you before you kill it. So on and on 3 guns on you until you die full of shame in your "Meta-pyra".

From far away it kills you, and up close it kills you. Only good strategy is sneaking up on it or trying to get a 2 on 1 with a teammate. One of you will die and the other will finish off the Mobula most likely.

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2013, 12:22:21 am »
A specific set-up that I ran into yesterday that was near impossible to beat was actually a Mobula.

Me: "I wouldn't be surprised if that was Roman's build."

Credit goes to Romankar.

What a surprise :P

I've flown on and against Roman's ship, and while I have found ways to beat it (it wasn't easy, trust me), it's by far the most effective Mobula I've seen. Certainly great at catching out unprepared Pyramidions.

Offline Sammy B. T.

• Salutes: 154
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2013, 02:52:29 am »
There was a Duck Falco match the other day and Roman's Mob was able to keep us pretty well outsniped. Granted, I was in my close range junker, but Roman's Mob is scary

Offline Mr. Ace Rimmer

• Salutes: 31
    • [OVW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2013, 11:14:26 am »
Yes, that Mobula is very scary indeed. Roman loves it as well :D - I like flying on it from time to time.

Offline Plasmarobo

• Salutes: 41
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2013, 05:54:45 pm »
I flew a pyra with the express purpose of countering Roman's mob.
Rammed him into oblivion constantly. Can't remember if we won or lost that one, but I remember it being damn close.

He's a terror with that thing.

Offline Thaago

• Salutes: 12
    • [FALC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2013, 09:52:31 am »
Yeah that ship is scary good. Some of that though is people not knowing how to approach it - it has a very narrow firing plane for the art/mercs. Ambush is really the best way to deal with it (easier said than done).

Offline geggis

• Salutes: 12
    • [VAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2013, 04:34:23 am »
A specific set-up that I ran into yesterday that was near impossible to beat was actually a Mobula. Here's the set up from left of the captain to right of the captain. Credit goes to Romankar.

Artemis- Gatling- Merc- Flak- Artemis

Oh that's interesting. I've been toying around with the Mobula recently and landed on a similar build with staggered Gat/Flak above and below deck respectively and Merc up top. Not experimented much with the Artemis arcs on the sides though.