Author Topic: Ship Tier List  (Read 60857 times)

Offline Skrimskraw

• Salutes: 160
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
Re: Ship Tier List
« Reply #75 on: September 30, 2013, 08:15:22 am »
here´s my tier

competitive play:

tier 1:
pyramidion - the pyramidion have a strong ram, also very versatile for the charging tactic with the 2 front guns. - ram on the balloon very good way of splitting people up.
junker - the junkers durability at long + medium range makes it an amazing defensive ship that can soak a lot of damage and protect your ally. - great mobility.

tier 2:
galleon - not as mobile as the junker, however the perfect stationary ship, with capability at all ranges. - use this ship if you have amazing heavy gunners.
spire - spire in my opinion have the possiblity to become a wrecking ball. really good at long range, but have also been proven to work in short range. - the perfect ship for bursting damage.

tier 3:
goldfish - the goldfish have amazing mobility, however the sole front gun makes it an easy ship to lock down. only works if your ally can tank both enemies.
mobula - the idea of the mobula is to have 3 gunners, however this proves hard when you are under fire especially with flame weapons. Dies incredibly fast.
squid - the squid is an amazing ship that I would love to put in tier 2, however the occasional lag problems puts it in this tier, any lag that occurs is fatal, often making your pilot unable to dodge, or your hull engineer to repair/rebuild.

random match tier (fun tier)

tier 1
Squid - the squid is fun to pilot, fun to engineer and fun to win with.
Junker - the junker makes the perfect crew management ship, there are so many possibilities to do, captaining requires that you communicate with your crew.

tier 2
pyramidion - the classic meta ship, though being nerfed oer and over again, still a solid way to play the game and also a good starter ship for all roles.
mobula - the mobula have a ton of possibilities and a meta code that still needs to be broken. Its fun to try out in all ranges. requires however competent crew in all roles
spire - would be in tier 1 if hull engineering wasnt the most boring thing on this ship. however have a ton of posibilites for diffrent playstyles. I reccomend this ship for pilots who wants to learn how to dodge and manage crew under pressure.

tier 3
galleon - the less piloting you do on a galleon, the better. it is a gunners ship, so your captain better listen to the gunners. not so fun for pilots or people who wants to repair.
goldfish - possibly the best starter ship, however it´s variations are limited often the blenderfish is the best way to go. Often boring being engineer on, and flying it quickly becomes monotone.

Offline Echoez

• Salutes: 40
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 30, 2013, 08:31:40 am »
At this point and time I'd say the Squid is very competitive, judging by the weapons that got recently buffed (Light Carronade, Flamer, Banshee), it's quite a tanky ship, extremely manuverable and flexible and shares similarities with a Goldfish with lesser health stats, but more manuverable and better Front-Side gun arcs, also rear gun bonus. All in all right now this ships should be a beast with a capable pilot.

Actually both the Squid and the Goldfish got indirectly buffed since pure kill builds got nerfed, hence you will see less Mortars and more of a need to disable, they also are very resistant to the Banshee on their hull due to ridiculously fast armor rebuilds.

Junker's lack of speed in this patch realy shows its age and is finally taking a toll on the ship, the slower armor repair as well.

Pyramidion is still fairly standard since the main things that make it popular haven't been changed much if at all, very versatile ship.

Mobula/Spire are still in that uncanny valley where you either do amazing or horrible with them, I still think these two ships aren't that good, but fun to play for some ( I know I realy like the Spire :P )

Galleon's performance is still outstanding.

Offline Skrimskraw

• [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 30, 2013, 08:36:23 am »
At this point and time I'd say the Squid is very competitive, judging by the weapons that got recently buffed (Light Carronade, Flamer, Banshee), it's quite a tanky ship, extremely manuverable and flexible and shares similarities with a Goldfish with lesser health stats, but more manuverable and better Front-Side gun arcs, also rear gun bonus. All in all right now this ships should be a beast with a capable pilot.

Actually both the Squid and the Goldfish got indirectly buffed since pure kill builds got nerfed, hence you will see less Mortars and more of a need to disable, they also are very resistant to the Banshee on their hull due to ridiculously fast armor rebuilds.

Junker's lack of speed in this patch realy shows its age and is finally taking a toll on the ship, the slower armor repair as well.

Pyramidion is still fairly standard since the main things that make it popular haven't been changed much if at all, very versatile ship.

Mobula/Spire are still in that uncanny valley where you either do amazing or horrible with them, I still think these two ships aren't that good, but fun to play for some ( I know I realy like the Spire :P )

Galleon's performance is still outstanding.
we need a thread that updates every other week with community member/clan picks :)
so if you like the playstyle from example the ducks, you can look at what their picks are and fly after that.
and If you like how calico jack is doing things you can look at his :p

Offline Puppy Fur

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 10
    • [OVW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 30, 2013, 12:41:38 pm »
All ships can be used in competitive play. Some are harder then others but when it comes down to it all ships are powerful in their own way. It just depends if people want to take the time needed to learn a ship.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 12:43:24 pm by Puppy Fur »

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #79 on: September 30, 2013, 01:45:43 pm »
Not that there is ever a sure thing in this game but I look at the ship match ups as such

Junker beats Squid due to smallest blind and enough maneuverability to track the squid
Squid beats Galleon due to size of Galleon's blind spot and the galleon's poor maneuverability.
Galleon beats Junker due to fire power and and armor advantage.

The Pyra is like a Junker with a bigger blind side and better charging abilities so it is better against Galleons but worse against squids. It does not hold a definite advantage in any area.

The Spire is like a Galleon only it can turn fast enough to engage a squid but lacks the overwhelming fire power and armor to overpower a junker.

The Gold Fish is like a squid only slower and with a better gun. It is stronger against Junkers but weaker against Galleons.

I haven't gotten a good handle on the Mobula yet. I am tempted to say it is in the Pyra Junker category, but there are defiantly Spire/Galleon aspects to it.

Offline Skrimskraw

• [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 30, 2013, 02:19:30 pm »
phoenix claw on a pyra is actually capable of following a squid around, just keep your engineer on engine run.

Offline Captain Smollett

• Salutes: 122
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 30, 2013, 02:34:31 pm »
Not that there is ever a sure thing in this game but I look at the ship match ups as such

Junker beats Squid due to smallest blind and enough maneuverability to track the squid
Squid beats Galleon due to size of Galleon's blind spot and the galleon's poor maneuverability.
Galleon beats Junker due to fire power and and armor advantage.

The Pyra is like a Junker with a bigger blind side and better charging abilities so it is better against Galleons but worse against squids. It does not hold a definite advantage in any area.

The Spire is like a Galleon only it can turn fast enough to engage a squid but lacks the overwhelming fire power and armor to overpower a junker.

The Gold Fish is like a squid only slower and with a better gun. It is stronger against Junkers but weaker against Galleons.

I haven't gotten a good handle on the Mobula yet. I am tempted to say it is in the Pyra Junker category, but there are defiantly Spire/Galleon aspects to it.

While this is all accurate to a degree I find this to be all terribly oversimplified, because even with pilot skill aside, weapon selection (especially since the latest patch) is as much or more of an indicator of the superior ship within an engagement than an outright ship selection. 

I think the best example of this is "Junker beats squid".  A Junker will always beat a kill squid but will almost never beat a balloon pop weapons/engine disable squid 1v1.  Then again this isn't a 1v1 game.  Pyra beats Galleon easily in a 1v1 but is at an absolute disadvantage against a galleon in a 2v2. 

Though helpful to a degree, ship tier lists don't make a terrible lot of sense right now since it's not just ships but ship loadouts, how they contrast to enemy ship loadouts and how they compliment your teammate's loadouts.  The only way to convey this accurately would be to put ship composition tier lists with loadouts included though I doubt anyone has the patience to list the millions of possible combinations.

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #82 on: September 30, 2013, 02:45:04 pm »
Yeah it is an over simplification, but it was the best I could add to the conversation. The Squid and the Galleon represent the extremes of ship design where as the Junker is the closest to average. I have to hand it to Muse in how they made each ship have its own niche. I would prefer this conversation head toward a "rock/paper/scisors" analogy than a "this ship is obviously superior."

Offline Gambrill

• Salutes: 26
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 03, 2013, 12:00:53 pm »
phoenix claw on a pyra is actually capable of following a squid around, just keep your engineer on engine run.

to counter this have kerosene as squid pilot ;)

Offline Skrimskraw

• [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 03, 2013, 01:58:35 pm »

yea tried that with randoms, ended up with 3 dead engines lol

Offline Gambrill

• Salutes: 26
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 03, 2013, 02:02:57 pm »

yea tried that with randoms, ended up with 3 dead engines lol

AAHHH skrimshaw :) forgot to mention asking the crew to focus whatever repairs on the engines xD hehe

Offline Cl ick to Ca p t ain

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 25
    • [?]
    • View Profile
    • ṋ̟̳̪͒ͦ͑ͯ͒̓̾͌̓ͥ̐̓o̹̗̭̝̪͚͖͙̖̝̳͔̮̟͙͆ͬ̇̋͗̒ͮͭ͌ͥ̀ͩͮ̆͛ͭ͐̈́ ̝̘̟̝̥̭͔̼͓͖̘̜̦̰͒͊̒͆̃ͩ͛̋͋̎̂̊̏͆ͣ̚ͅ ͓̦̖͔̖̞̟̱͉̪͇̮̫͉̀͋̆͗̑̽̿̚ͅ ̥͍͚̣̂̈́ͪ͋̂ͥ̊ͧͣ͌̉̇̓͆ͨ̔ͤ̍ ̫͇͕̤̣̩̗͎̭̙̱͔̘̝͖̀ͭ̆͂̈́ͅ ͎̹͓̼͖̥̤̗ͦͤ̈̄̚ͅt͎̞̺̱̜̺̋̋̊͗ͬ͗ͪͩ̈ͮ̽̐̉̀̅ͫ̃h̤̺͎͖̯͈͍̲͛͂̉́̎̂̔̚ ̯̲͓̭̬̱͈̟̳͒͒̉̈̊͊ͅͅ ̘͓͈͚̦ͪ̽͑ͣ̓ͦ͊̐̿̇̈́ ͪͨ͛̌̔̽͆ͬͪ̂̐
« Reply #86 on: October 03, 2013, 09:42:54 pm »
Squid engineers should always be fixing things, you have to yell at them when they're sidetracked.

Offline Tyrthorwoden

• Salutes: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 09, 2013, 01:17:01 am »
I have to say. I don't believe on can just simply classify any ship in order of tiers. That completely contradicts what each ship is capable of, or how it is going to be equipped in combat. If anything we should come up with a list that supports which ship is more (potentially) lethal to another ship, like a giant rock, paper, scissors analogy, because that is the actuality of the whole thing. I know if I'm flying a Squid, or Goldfish, then I'mgoing to have a major advantage over someone flying a Spire, or Mobula. On the otherhand if I'm flying a Junker, I might have an advantage over the Pyramidion if I get them at close range and can out maneuver them.

Offline Echoez

• Salutes: 40
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 10, 2013, 09:56:59 am »
I know if I'm flying a Squid, or Goldfish, then I'mgoing to have a major advantage over someone flying a Spire, or Mobula.

Assuming equal skill, you would have a major advantage against those specific ships with any other ship. Sorry, had to :P

Offline Byron Cavendish

• Salutes: 89
    • [TB]
    • View Profile
    • The Brotherhood
« Reply #89 on: October 10, 2013, 10:49:44 pm »
As a squid pilot by heart, I think it can be very competitive. In fact I had a few scrims against the Ducks, in which they used a squid, and they did well. My biggest worry is a junker, but if they aren't paying attention I can usually even take down a junker quick. Every other ship is easy, except the pyra. With an armored balloon and phoenix claw a capable pilot will be able to keep his arcs on my squid.