Author Topic: Profile Pic, Reason?  (Read 78170 times)

Offline Hoja Lateralus

• Salutes: 135
    • [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
Re: Profile Pic, Reason?
« Reply #60 on: March 24, 2015, 03:36:36 am »
Mine is a Polandball because...well, I'm Polish and why the hell not. Polandball can into funny jokes.

Before that I've had a nuclear blast* as avatar. I changed it because I started a thread where I warned community about people using communist symbols in GOIO and (naively) hoping that people will help me report those kind of disgusting behaviour. Then someone pointed out "But, Disaster, you have nuclear blast in profile pic and Hiroshima and Nagasaki, y'know!". I don't think they were right (and even that it wronged anyone anywhere at any point) but I did change it for the sake of the argument that I truly wish that those poeple I fight with had the same amout of decency in them. They don't.

*something like this:

Offline Riggatto

• Salutes: 60
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 24, 2015, 09:29:48 am »
Mine changes very often, but currently it's a creature known as a Styx from the book series Tunnels

Offline Indreams

• Salutes: 105
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 24, 2015, 10:55:03 am »
@Mr. Disaster
I'm okay with symbols because, well, they are just a visual pattern that happen to have a meaning in our minds.
So, I really really miss your old profile pic. It had more of that "Mr. Disaster" meaning/feeling to it. And I think that hammer-sickle-communist argument really shouldn't have happened.

Thank you for whoever that revived this thread. I liked reading through it.

My Profile Pic is just a screen capture of my actual GOIO character. I don't use the same hair anymore (since I've got hats), but I really like the Shaded Spectacles. It gives my character look like the Muska's government agents from the Castle in the Sky.

These guys:

Offline David Dire

• Salutes: 62
    • [SkBo]
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 24, 2015, 12:43:25 pm »
Yeah, personally I think you should change it back. I Mean, there are symbols that could be seen as bad (like the Hammer and Sickle) but then there's just an explosion. An atomic explosion wasn't even originally made for war, it was Einstein's creation/idea/thing he realized (I think it was Einstein, woops if it wasn't. Point is, I'm pretty sure it wasn't made for war and war only. It was just Splitting an atom and seeing some cool energy shit). That's like saying Pencils are offensive because Lead is in bullets.

Offline Replaceable

• Salutes: 84
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 24, 2015, 12:52:39 pm »
Mine was drawn for me by lord high admiral spud nick.
Can't dare to take it down. (Even though my avatar in game is different.)

Previously I had a red square.
Those were the days...

Offline Indreams

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 24, 2015, 12:55:27 pm »
Those were the days...

When you were the Replaceable redshirt.  :D

I kid, I kid.

Offline David Dire

• [SkBo]
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 24, 2015, 12:56:53 pm »
Those were the days...

I kid, I kid.

It's "I'm a kid", you absolute nerd.

Offline Indreams

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 24, 2015, 12:59:31 pm »
Those were the days...

I kid, I kid.

Kid in this case is used as a verb meaning: to deceive (someone) in a playful or teasing way.

And yes, I am an absolute nerd.  :D

Offline David Dire

• [SkBo]
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 24, 2015, 01:03:58 pm »
Those were the days...

I kid, I kid.

Kid in this case is used as a verb meaning: to deceive (someone) in a playful or teasing way.

And yes, I am an absolute nerd.  :D

Nononono that's a joke you absolute nerd.
:3

Totally didn't add the ":3" just so you knew I was joking

Offline Replaceable

• Salutes: 84
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 24, 2015, 02:53:00 pm »
you lost me at 'i'm a kid'. xD

Offline Hoja Lateralus

• Salutes: 135
    • [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 24, 2015, 06:38:20 pm »
I'm okay with symbols because, well, they are just a visual pattern that happen to have a meaning in our minds.
So, I really really miss your old profile pic. It had more of that "Mr. Disaster" meaning/feeling to it. And I think that hammer-sickle-communist argument really shouldn't have happened.

I'm not okay with symbols that represent totalitarian sinister regime. I've stated my reasons in that thread and I won't change my mind. I may sound like a mad man but I think that it is a kind of duty of me as a person and of me as Pole to remind people that "no, communism is/was not okay".
I miss it too, but I changed it to make a point. I also think that nothing says "Disaster" more than a huge explosion.

Yeah, personally I think you should change it back. I Mean, there are symbols that could be seen as bad (like the Hammer and Sickle) but then there's just an explosion. An atomic explosion wasn't even originally made for war, it was Einstein's creation/idea/thing he realized (I think it was Einstein, woops if it wasn't. Point is, I'm pretty sure it wasn't made for war and war only. It was just Splitting an atom and seeing some cool energy shit). That's like saying Pencils are offensive because Lead is in bullets.

I changed it to make a point that even given a non-sincere argument that my avatar is insulting or hurting someone is enough for a reason for me to apologise and change it. And as I said before - I could only WISH that those kind of scum people have the same amount of decency. I couldn't have fighted for my cause with people calling me a hypocryte.

Offline Koali

• Salutes: 56
    • [Sass]
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 24, 2015, 07:04:34 pm »
I'm a Kirby wearing a dyed Revolutionary and holding a Pipe Wrench, courtesy of Miss Nicce.

'Twas a commission.

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 284
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 24, 2015, 07:43:45 pm »
Steampunk pineapple... because I have a Pineapple.

Inside joke. Blenderfish get it.

Offline BdrLineAzn

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 103
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 24, 2015, 08:26:31 pm »
Mine I just googled steam punk logos and I went with the one that looked sorta official. I still don't fully know what it is and I think we hade some discussions about it.

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 284
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 24, 2015, 09:37:33 pm »
That is a ball governor used to control the speed of an engine. It is 'governed' by gravity and the weight of the balls spinning. Setting the ball limit higher allows the engine to go faster.  Thus gave rise to the sayings "Going balls up" meaning going to full speed, and "Balls to the walls", meaning pushing up to the governor and engine's limit.

The sayings have lost their original meanings, but are still quite common.

Edit: In case you think I am making it up for some bad "balls rising" jokes. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centrifugal_governor
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 09:42:52 pm by Richard LeMoon »