Author Topic: Good Beers  (Read 30077 times)

Offline dragonmere

• Salutes: 45
    • [COx]
    • View Profile
Good Beers
« on: July 06, 2013, 09:15:24 pm »
Everyone knows this game goes quite well with a nice beer. Microbrews, craft brews, or small unknown breweries are often the best source for a really good beer, but word of mouth is one of the only good ways to find new beers to try.

Here's my favorite, what's yours?

Dubhe Imperial Black IPA by Uinta Brewing Company.
http://www.uintabrewing.com/brews/dubhe.html
If you like dark beers or complex IPAs you'll love this. Seriously rich head, hoppy as hell but still very heavy, chocolately/carmley flavors, brewed with hemp seed so you get a wonderful warm and sweet finish, and 9.2% ABV to get the job done.

Offline Surette

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 24
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
    • Personal homepage
Re: Good Beers
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2013, 10:35:22 pm »
Plasmarobo better see this thread, black IPAs are exactly his thing. Pretty sure Harpoon's Black IPA is his favorite beer.

Anyway, I like most beer. I love IPAs and flavorful ales. In addition to the usual Sam Adams Boston Lager and Harpoon IPA or Harpoon Dark, I love Stone's IPA and Arrogant Bastard Ale, Dogfish Head's 60/90 Minute IPA, and Sierra Nevada's Pale Ale and Torpedo Extra IPA... I'll try anything once and I end up liking most things. I try to buy something new every time I go to the store. Really the only things I know I don't like are porters and things like Bud Light that are just bad.

Offline Plasmarobo

• Salutes: 41
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2013, 11:08:35 pm »
ohmygodunita'sblackipaissoveryverygood!

But yeah, Surette knows me well. I've never had better than Harpoon's experimental black IPA, though Heady Topper really gives it a run for it's money. Heady Topper is the best straight-IPA I've had. So far.

For standard beers, I enjoy Dogfish Head 90 minute, or Sierra Nevada torpedo. I love bitter things. Stone is alright, but I'll take a Hop-Notch over it any day. Punk IPA is really light, but has a decent taste. Dogfish Head 120 minute is great if you want something with decent taste and a massive kick (20% beer anyone?) but is expensive and a bit thick/syrupy to my taste.

Poters tend to be pretty hit or miss for me, but I'm always on the lookout for new stuff to try. As long as it's not a wheat beer (yes DMax, I'm terrible). But I've got a Leather Lips in the fridge I've been waiting to try.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 11:11:12 pm by Plasmarobo »

Offline DMaximus

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 28
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2013, 11:58:34 pm »
You also hate Belgians, which makes you truly evil, Plasma.

Currently, the beer I'm drinking a ton of is Brooklyn Brewing's Summer Ale. It's just a perfect, refreshing beer for this ungodly heat. Plus, it comes in cans, which are so much easier to carry back from the liquor store.

My favorite is probably Boulevard's Tank 7. It's a farmhouse ale/saison. Wonderfully Belgian, a little fruity with a nice, dry finish. I love saisons in general, and this is definitely one of my favorites.

Offline naufrago

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 10
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2013, 12:04:51 am »
TIL that 3 of my teammates are alcoholics. Come to think of it, I recall some talk of alcohol from other teammates during that 3v3 tournament...

TIL that I'm the only person in MM that isn't an alcoholic.

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2013, 12:06:00 am »
Well Yiski's definitely an alcoholic. I remember him saying that he's a law student.

EDIT: That isn't a jab at law students. I'm only quoting Yiski.

Fact: Being a law student means becoming an alcoholic.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 12:08:02 am by N-Sunderland »

Offline Lord Dick Tim

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 119
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2013, 01:56:00 am »
What about nameless things in jars your neighbor makes in his basement?

Offline Pickle

• Salutes: 42
    • [AeBr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2013, 07:07:21 am »
At the moment I'm preferring cider, but the Normandy style rather than West Country farmyard scrumpy.  And unusually, I don't have any home-brewed at the moment.  In the Autumn I'll make it from apples.  Once that's run out I'll start with bought juice and remedy the shortfalls with tannin and acid.

For beer.. Perlenbacher (yes, the Lidl brand - perfect allotment beer at the end of the day), Dark Island from the Orkney Brewery, Circle Master from Wychwood Brewery, Aldersbacher Weißen..

I'm also partial to some very odd beers from time to time, including Banana Bread Beer by Wells & Young.  If you can get hold of it, Morocco Ale by Daleside Brewery is the perfect winter beer.

Offline Mill Wilkinson

• [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2013, 09:30:01 am »
I like wheat beers, although they are hard to come by here. Usually I just enjoy Karjala, Karhu or Olvi lagers or some oddball my friend recommend.

Offline Plasmarobo

• [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2013, 09:56:36 am »
TIL that 3 of my teammates are alcoholics. Come to think of it, I recall some talk of alcohol from other teammates during that 3v3 tournament...

If Surette and I aren't drinking...we're not flying!
Or engineering...
Or gunning...

Offline Surette

• Community Ambassador
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
    • Personal homepage
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2013, 10:10:08 am »
Hey, it doesn't count as alcoholism if you're still in college.

If Surette and I aren't drinking...we're not flying!
Or engineering...
Or gunning...
Salute to that.

Offline Skrimskraw

• Salutes: 160
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile

Offline dragonmere

• Salutes: 45
    • [COx]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2013, 02:47:20 pm »
Lately, my low-cost go to has been Pyramid Wheaten IPA. It's a nice wheat IPA, not quite as hoppy as I usually lean towards, but only about $7 for a six. It's a little dry for an IPA, and it doesn't really have any characteristics that stand out, but I always seem to polish off the six-pack in record time, so I must like it. Plus it's name is dangerously close to Pyramidion (Pyramidipa), so I'm down for drinking it every day, every time, even if it isn't technically the best. ;)

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/403/82134

Offline Zenark

• [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2013, 04:20:28 pm »
Sam Adams, Blue Moon, Heineken... Not much of a drinker, but those are the best I've had.

Offline DMaximus

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 28
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2013, 04:23:02 pm »
A friend recently brought me a Westvleteren XII back from Belgium. It was glorious.

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/westvleteren-12-xii/4934/