Author Topic: Where is a "Ramming guide"?  (Read 39701 times)

Offline dragonmere

• Salutes: 45
    • [COx]
    • View Profile
Re: Where is a "Ramming guide"?
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2013, 12:32:57 pm »
If you overshoot on an attempted ram, keep your face and kerosene reverse instead of turning. The enemy ship will most likely turn in your direction to chase, so if you reverse, you have a good chance at a flank.

Offline Plasmarobo

• Salutes: 41
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2013, 01:49:49 pm »
Yeah. I always feel bad for my engines and engineers though.
I'm always a bit rough on my engines. Ramming sort of makes that so much worse.

There is a sense of perverse joy I get when I pull it off successfully.

Also, I was wrong about the balloon thing. Apparently they have the same health. Sorry Smollett.

Offline Ofiach

• Salutes: 25
    • [FALC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2013, 08:48:20 am »
Oh one more tip about ramming that I forgot.

Ramming a friendly doesn't damage you. I don't do it much but i have used friendlies as springboards for fast turning when they are being complete morons.

Offline Shinkurex

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 102
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2013, 08:57:22 am »

Ramming a friendly doesn't damage you. I don't do it much but i have used friendlies as springboards for fast turning when they are being complete morons.

I do that too! cept I'm usually ramming Zill's ship.... and he yells at me :P

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 144
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2013, 01:53:24 pm »

I do that too! cept I'm usually ramming Zill's ship.... and he yells at me :P

That moment when an ally hits you on Dunes, and you were holding steady for flak shots.

Nah its cool brah. It's not like there's much room around here, lol.

Offline OnionMaster

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 0
    • [CA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2013, 01:25:50 am »
when i ram i just moonshine straight to the other ship not turning it off

Offline Plasmarobo

• [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2013, 07:51:34 am »
I used to love this.
I called it a 'jackhammer'. You just repeatedly slam into the enemy over and over again. Until they die or your engines just stop.

But.

I don't fly Pyrs as much anymore. I experienced being on the other side of this (me Junker, them Pyr). Thank god for Chute vent is all I have to say (and curse you, ground!)

I now hate myself for employing this tactic a bit.
Plus is it just me, or does moonshine not hold me as straight anymore?

Offline Sugar Honey

• Salutes: 0
    • [TBC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2013, 01:07:52 am »
I ram birds on Duel at Dawn.

Offline Zenark

• [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2013, 12:58:31 pm »
I've wanted to build a Pyramidion just for ramming. Two gats up front, kerosene, moonshine, impact bumpers, and only on 3v3/4v4. I'm a Ram happy pilot, and though it's screwed me many times, I'm getting better. It's all about timing, gotta ram right after their armor is down. Can you continue to ram and push them away from whatever they were doing?

I've found poking (what I like to call it) to work best when you have an ally already attacking the Pokee.

Offline Calico Jack

• [2620]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2013, 02:19:43 am »
I'm surprised I haven't seen it mentioned but using the balloon as the point of impact, means any ship can do it and come away with repairable rather than permanent damage not just the Pyra. Though clearly the reasons why you would be doing this are more to do with forcing your target to reposition for your guns, and/ or cause an environmental kill, rather than the joy of flying through ship themed confetti.

Offline -Muse- Cullen

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 47
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2013, 08:43:32 am »
I'm surprised I haven't seen it mentioned but using the balloon as the point of impact, means any ship can do it and come away with repairable rather than permanent damage not just the Pyra.

Direct impact damage does have modifiers against all components- at a constant speed of collision:

The balloon will take 1.8x more damage,
The hull will take 1.2x more damage,
The armor will take 0.8x less damage,
The guns and engines will take 0.6x less damage.

While it is a smart choice to use a balloon instead of the armor in order to ram, it is important to remember that this maneuver shouldn't be used like a Swiss Army knife- in all situations. Generally, I always expect my balloon to go down after a balloon ram. While the ram does do damage... because that balloon goes down, I will lose gun arcs on my ship, which would allow both ships to repair back to normal.

I keep impact damage in mind when I ram larger-armored ships, like the Galleon and the Junker. One huge ram will pop them and put us in a better tactical position.

Offline Calico Jack

• [2620]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2013, 06:28:34 am »
thanks for the info on the damage modifiers involved Cullen - I'll do some experimentation on damages to the hull via the ballon later today.

Ramming for damage however isn't what I was suggesting but rather the use of mild impacts to reposition ships favourably to your killing them - for example a glancing blow on the beak of the Pyra to spin it's guns away from you and expose it's mid sections.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 06:31:02 am by Calico Jack »

Offline QKO

• Salutes: 5
    • [TCD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2013, 04:03:55 am »
While it is a smart choice to use a balloon instead of the armor in order to ram, it is important to remember that this maneuver shouldn't be used like a Swiss Army knife- in all situations. Generally, I always expect my balloon to go down after a balloon ram. While the ram does do damage... because that balloon goes down, I will lose gun arcs on my ship, which would allow both ships to repair back to normal.

I keep impact damage in mind when I ram larger-armored ships, like the Galleon and the Junker. One huge ram will pop them and put us in a better tactical position.
The only ships I find ramming doesn't really work on are galleon and mobula. They got too many hitpoints to die from it and can usually even return fire. The rest are rammable provided they do not evade you. If done properly in my case, I take no hull damage during a ram. This is doubly important when running through spires and junkers. Oh, and I ram using the pyramidion, because I can use a front gatling gun to disable armor, do hull damage with the flak cannon and finish him off with the ram itself(again, galleons tend to survive this). I've experimented quite a bit about this and it is definitely a staple you can use when done correctly.

Offline Calico Jack

• [2620]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2013, 07:16:33 am »
The only ships I find ramming doesn't really work on are galleon and mobula.
A classic pyra hydrogen uppercut works well on the mobula provided you allow for the ship dropping after it's ballon goes down.

Inversely,  balloon ramming with a mobula is a bad strategy - I got a kill on a mobula yesterday while I was in a squid due to the fact the mobula's hull went down first.

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2013, 08:53:17 am »
Ramming a Mobula isn't bad. In fact, it'll get wrecked by it. The balloon and the hull will both take a hit, and it's a very squishy ship. The only reason why it wouldn't be a good idea to ram one is its ability to dodge the ram with its immense vertical acceleration.