Author Topic: Where is a "Ramming guide"?  (Read 39268 times)

Offline Redorio diVario

• Salutes: 8
    • View Profile
Where is a "Ramming guide"?
« on: June 02, 2013, 11:56:23 am »
It's also a tactic, right? I haven't found any guide to ramming on this forum but I would totally love to hear some advices about it. How to ram good, when, with what ship into what ship and with which loadout?

We can just discuss it here :). In the end someone could make a guide about it.

Offline dragonmere

• Salutes: 45
    • [COx]
    • View Profile
Re: Where is a "Ramming guide"?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2013, 12:00:41 pm »
Here's my advice on the use of Moonshine for effective rams:
https://gunsoficarus.com/community/forum/index.php/topic,1056.msg17422.html

Only thing that's not explicitly stated there is that the Pyramidion is the only true ship for focusing on ramming. The reason is the huge "beak" that extends off the front of the ship. The "beak" is made of hull, and will prevent damage to other components during a ram, allowing one engineer to be fully ready to effectively repair the entire effect of the ram on your ship, while the enemy is unprepared and potentially has heavy weapon/balloon damage to deal with. The fact that the "beak" comes to a point also means that all the damage associated with the impact will be focused on the single part of the ship that you collide with, rather than possibly being spread over all of the ship components that would make contact during the ram using a different ship.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 12:07:33 pm by dragonmere »

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2013, 12:12:56 pm »
The other thing with the Pyra is that it has a fairly high top speed and is the second-heaviest ship in the game. These two characteristics give it an immense amount of force when ramming.

Offline Linen

• Salutes: 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2013, 09:48:37 pm »
The only other basic is if you're ramming for a kill you want at least their hull armor to be down. If you're ramming for positioning you don't want your hull armor to be down. The thread posted above is great for that positioning stuff.

Offline Ofiach

• Salutes: 25
    • [FALC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2013, 09:59:46 pm »
Ofi's 5 thought guide to ramming.

one
Why the hell am I ramming? moving gun arcs, saving a friendly, slamming someone into a wall?

two
How can I accomplish this best? light bump, or full force ram.

three
Think about the directions everyone is moving in. Bumping a guy in the ass when you're flying right behind him pretty much does nothing.

four
Don't ram for a kill just wait for a gun reload.

five
Teabag of destiny aka chute vent slam. Some of the best ramming ever is getting above someone then chute venting on their heads. It moves their gun arcs and screws up their altitude.

TIPS
Light taps are easier to recover from.
Don't rear-end people.
Booty first ramming is a viable tactic.
Don't ram when your armor is down.

Yeah I know really bad guide but it might help some people.

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2013, 10:39:09 pm »
Another tip: if you see a Spire, and you're flying a Pyra, just ram it at full speed with kerosene or moonshine. It'll almost certainly die.

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2013, 11:43:08 pm »
Bumping a guy in the ass when you're flying right behind him pretty much does nothing.

It is a setup for a dirty joke. Some times those are as much fun as winning.

As for the actual act of ramming Ofiach sums it up quite well.

Offline Shinkurex

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 102
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2013, 11:44:31 pm »
another reason to ram, is to actually push an opponent off a point in a cp match... I really do enjoy doing that :P

Offline Captain Smollett

• Salutes: 122
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2013, 11:54:57 pm »
Ofi's 5 thought guide to ramming.

one
Why the hell am I ramming? moving gun arcs, saving a friendly, slamming someone into a wall?

Don't forget about ramming just for lolz, an absolutely valid tactic
four
Don't ram for a kill just wait for a gun reload.

True 90% of the time, though sometimes a ram while your guns are reloading and their armor is about to come up can be clutch.  Knowing when this situation arises and being in the position and speed to pull it off requires a lot of experience; if you make a mistake with this you'll often come out much worse for the error. 

Offline Sammy B. T.

• Salutes: 154
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2013, 10:38:35 am »
Here is a question about ramming. I know ship mass matters in terms of ramming, but is mass also ont he balloon? Is a Galleon Balloon different in terms of ramming than a Squid Balloon?

Offline Plasmarobo

• Salutes: 41
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2013, 10:58:27 am »
I think it's velocity x mass. So, if you're ramming down, the balloon controls your vertical speed.

That said, different balloons have different amounts of health... and I think they take a decent amount of damage from rams.

Offline Captain Smollett

• Salutes: 122
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2013, 11:02:00 am »
Ummm, pretty sure unless something has changed all balloons have the same amount of health.

Balloons do take a much higher multiplier of damage though from a ram than any other component, so they usually get decimated during large impacts.

Offline -Muse- Cullen

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 47
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2013, 11:13:27 am »
The general tips that I follow when it comes to ramming-

1. Don't ram without armor. As an extension, don't ram when in critical armor- around 25% or lower. It hurts.
2. If the enemy's armor is down, it is an acceptable time to ram.
3. If you use Impact Bumpers, the effect will last for 5 seconds after activating. Using this, and then switching to moonshine will add the angular drag, which keeps your ship from turning away during and after the impact.
4. If I am taking fire from the target, I aim to ram one side of the ship in order to turn it in some other direction.

Offline dragonmere

• Salutes: 45
    • [COx]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2013, 11:25:58 am »
There is a tactic I'm working on that involves a slow ram, first aimed at the nose of the enemy and then sliding to the back of their ship, making slow contact the entire time. It usually causes the enemy's ship to rotate in a seemingly counter-intuitive way that ends up with you behind them. Very useful, if I could just nail-down how to pull it off almost 100% of the time.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 11:29:16 am by dragonmere »

Offline JaceBoojah

• Salutes: 42
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2013, 12:24:36 pm »
My notes are based on gat/flak Pyra with moonshine and phoenix claw. (i have tried the rest. this is the best)

How to ram:
Moonshine durring impact.  This will keep your ship facing straight. Moonshine should be used in bursts, not left on.
Use moonshine to aim.  Turn fast using phoenix clam until you arm aimed at the target then hit moonshine to lock on.
Aim well. If you miss your ram you are useless to your team for a long time while turning around.
Get as much gat shots in as you can before the ram.
PRACTICE!  Good ramming is the hardest thing to master as a pilot.

When to ram:
Don't
If you must ram do it when:
it's a spire.
When you can pin the enemy to a wall. This doubles their impact damage and can kill any full health ship.
Ramming a galleon WILL NOT HURT it.  You can turn the galleon's guns away from you but it's easy to screw up.
intercept enemies who are about to kill your friend. 

Other use for ramming:
Ram walls with phoenix claw on to turn around fast. be ready to hit moonshine when you are aiming the way you want during the spin.

The best thing to know about ramming is when NOT to use it.  Just keep your gat flak going