Author Topic: To Muse: Is KS a letdown, or an encouragement?  (Read 9092 times)

Offline Arthem White

• Salutes: 11
    • View Profile
To Muse: Is KS a letdown, or an encouragement?
« on: May 20, 2013, 01:12:50 pm »
Typically when you follow a kickstarter it is much easier to gauge how happy the creators are about the funding received. If the baseline is met that means a green light to the project, and that amount of money is pretty much what the creator wished to cover the budget. From then on, it's just extras.

The way you guys at Muse have gone at this Kickstarter project (which I have nothing against!) has left me wondering if the tentative result of $200.000 is internally perceived as a letdown or a positive surprise. Seeing as your budget for the whole Adventure Mode sits around $500k, I could understand if you felt disheartened after the campaign, but having the line at $100k may very well mean you didn't expect to cover it all.

So, being honest, how much were you expecting to raise? Is the Kickstarter campaign turning out above or below expectations? Did you honestly believe you could pull AM off with only $100k? And if so, how much of a difference does $200k make? I pledged as much as I could, and I'm hoping the campaign isn't leaving you guys with a bad taste =).

Thanks!
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 01:14:21 pm by Arthem White »

Offline Typhi

• Salutes: 10
    • [TFoD]
    • View Profile
Re: To Muse: Is KS a letdown, or an encouragement?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2013, 01:32:19 pm »
I think it's a big encouragement, and I think they should continue the campaign on their own website. Just like other Kickstarters are doing :) And keep working towards the stretchgoals ofc! The game is now getting a lot of popularity and I think the Kickstarter was too short, to take full advantage of it. :) They should just post a link all above the Kickstarter to continue pledging ^^

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2013, 07:47:37 pm »
Think it should be an encouragement. Guns really has no competition in the genre and has likely done better than others could have. No I don't count Airbucs as competition. But they do get a lot of competition from regular mainstream games like CoD and BF. Convincing non team players to play a game where you are either godlike or sucky based on others abilities is not easy. Muse has no cute girly characters either like that Skullgirls game to really rake in millions. Getting 200k...yeah thats an encouragement. I kinda guessed the moment they announced the kickstarter it would get around 150-200k. I didn't see the 100k as a problem for this community.

Lot of us want the 500k goals but its going to take more players to spur that. Shame this couldn't have gotten some time on places like Kotaku. Had a few good publications on some other sites but they came about a month in on the KS. Needed more and earlier.

Offline Keon

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 105
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2013, 08:43:04 pm »
Think it should be an encouragement. Guns really has no competition in the genre and has likely done better than others could have. No I don't count Airbucs as competition. But they do get a lot of competition from regular mainstream games like CoD and BF. Convincing non team players to play a game where you are either godlike or sucky based on others abilities is not easy. Muse has no cute girly characters either like that Skullgirls game to really rake in millions. Getting 200k...yeah thats an encouragement. I kinda guessed the moment they announced the kickstarter it would get around 150-200k. I didn't see the 100k as a problem for this community.

Lot of us want the 500k goals but its going to take more players to spur that. Shame this couldn't have gotten some time on places like Kotaku. Had a few good publications on some other sites but they came about a month in on the KS. Needed more and earlier.

Airbucs says the same stuff about us you know.

Offline Sonoskay

• Salutes: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2013, 09:02:10 pm »

Airbucs says the same stuff about us you know.
I havent played airbucs or seen anything from their community but despite what they say these two games ARE in compitioin  with eachother Being that thay are  both games of the same setting, theme, and even simular populatoin there is going to be some push and pull and shifting of players from one to the other.  Some will prefer the play style of one over the other

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2013, 01:52:04 am »
I've met more people who don't like bucs or say its community is even smaller. I don't consider it competition because I don't see their devs putting in even half the effort muse seems to be. Yeah they are the only other game similar but I don't see them actively trying to compete like muse is.

Offline Arthem White

• Salutes: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2013, 03:15:16 am »
I played Airbucs and it didn't feel like the same genre. They seem to be in competition because the theme is so scarce, but I think they're so different there is no reason to worry.

Offline Keon

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 105
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2013, 04:57:43 pm »
Let's move this away from air buccanners, which seems like the place we can deport all the people who ask for boarding, and back to kickstarter.

Offline Nadrynne

• Salutes: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2013, 05:46:59 pm »
I think it should be seen as an encouragement. They doubled their KS goal (which is great!), and it just means that those other stretch goals will take longer to reach.

Though there is a temptation to look at other game Kickstarters and compare this to the huge success they have had (such as shadowrun returns and shroud of the avatar, etc), this one doesn't have the huge advantage of big names and huge established fan communities. GoI is pretty much carving it's place out from scratch almost.

The co-op mode is going to be a big help because it is opening up the game to a wide audience, such as  people who are less interested in skirmish/deathmatch type games and more just co-op fun with a few friends. So that should help grow the community quite a bit.