Author Topic: Junker Fight Club  (Read 29218 times)

Offline Pickle

• Salutes: 42
    • [AeBr]
    • View Profile
Re: Junker Fight Club
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2013, 08:53:45 am »
Something Junker crews and Captains tend to forget..

.. the balloon is one of the Junkers few strengths, if the Captain brings Drogue Chute the crew can ignore damage to the balloon right up until the ship starts sinking close to the ground.  This is important, it allows the crew to keep two guns firing and hopefully finish off the target before having to break-off and repair.  If a Junker has only one gun firing, it's not being effective.

I've hinted at this before, but it was buried in a longer post.

Offline RethBurn

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 71
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2013, 11:44:49 am »
I usually call that a Gat-Flak, Like a Gat-flak-midion.

Offline Captain Smollett

• Salutes: 122
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2013, 01:04:43 pm »
.. the balloon is one of the Junkers few strengths, if the Captain brings Drogue Chute the crew can ignore damage to the balloon right up until the ship starts sinking close to the ground.  This is important, it allows the crew to keep two guns firing and hopefully finish off the target before having to break-off and repair.  If a Junker has only one gun firing, it's not being effective.

While this is definitely a great strategy when finishing a kill and in certain 1v1 engagements, caution should be taken in leaving a Junker with a broken balloon for too long. Besides the slow plummet into the ground, any hits into a broken balloon go directly to the hull component effectively quadrupling the hit box of the junker making it a much easier target for a clever gunner or a poorly directed shot.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 04:40:00 pm by N-Sunderland »

Offline Pickle

• [AeBr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2013, 08:08:48 am »
Keep an eye out for Junker Fight Club games on the match list, they should be tagged "JFC" in the match name.

Due to a few problems with Captains failing to understand the main principle of JFC (Junkers only) these are likely to be set-up as Private matches.

Keeping things simple, the current password to use is "junker"

Again keeping things simple.. no complex rules, sort it out against yourselves as to which match you set-up.

There are some competitive scrimmages planned for the future, these will be ship or team based with no persistence - if there's a contest it's done and dusted in one evening and not rolling on for weeks, months or eternity.

Some rough formats have been sketched out including:
  • Whale Wars - some guidance on the already established rules for this would be appreciated, it predates Junker Fight Club.  All Junker, all harpoon, rebuilds but no repairs, preferred map is Fjords.
  • Balloons and Blunderbusses - a TMMITFM reference.  All Junker, all carronade, preferred map is Duel.
  • Winner Stays On - pub pool players will recognise this basic principal for queuing challengers in a King of The Map contest.
  • Feuer und flame - not the very good fondue restaurant Am Comeniusplatz, but a very rough idea for a flame-ship contest.  All Junker, all flamer, tar barrel to be permanently active, no preferred map (yet)

Make your mark on this thread if you're interested.. this isn't a commitment to form a team.  In fact it would be nice if only the ship names were the constant for each Captain and crews irregularly mixed themselves up to trade hints, tips, skills, experience and ideas.

Offline Pickle

• [AeBr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2013, 06:07:28 pm »
First Junker Fight Club scrimmages start this week.. no fixed time at the moment but watch out for JFC or Junker Fight Club named matches in the lobby over the next week and/or advertised here.  The password for private games is, "junker".

The first format is..

Balloons and Blunderbusses.
All Junker, all Carronade and whilst Duel at Dawn is preferred, any map will do.  The use of Drogue Chute is considered unsporting and ungentlemanly behaviour, but it isn't banned as a rule as it can't be monitored. 

And remember, JFC is JFF  -Junker Fight Club is Just For Fun.

Offline Shinkurex

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 102
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2013, 07:29:08 pm »
but it isn't banned as a rule as it can't be monitored. 

Untrue.... With the new spectator mode, you can monitor this quite nicely.... however this is just for fun, and it's not really important... If I can, I will make at least one of these :)

Offline Sammy B. T.

• Salutes: 154
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2013, 11:04:45 am »
Hopefully my Admiral Quackbar can make a showing.

Offline Pickle

• [AeBr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2013, 01:05:50 pm »
but it isn't banned as a rule as it can't be monitored. 

Untrue.... With the new spectator mode, you can monitor this quite nicely.... however this is just for fun, and it's not really important... If I can, I will make at least one of these :)

Oh.. so it can.. but that would require a referee in Spectator mode, and JFC is about flying, not watching.  At least that's my excuse for not getting the rules so complicated that an official adjudicator is require to say "Go", watch for who rams first, check people go round a marker, or timekeep.  Fights will go on as long as they have to.. ..

Sammy BT.. glad to register your interest.. myself, (The Amazing) Captain Phoenix, Shinkurex and a several Captains that Cpt Phoenix spoke to last night have all expressed an interest.

Offline Coldcurse

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 164
    • [TFD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2013, 08:41:58 am »
this event will get the full support from
The Flying Dutchmen

Offline Commodore Phoenix

• Salutes: 12
    • [CCor]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2013, 08:59:05 am »
A test junker fight club game is going to be on around 9pm BST on friday to any that can make it on short notice its only a game to see how many can make it so there will not be any scoring and it will probably be a Balloons and Blunderbusses game. the game name will be "JFC" password is of course "Junker" to any who cant be asked to go back up the page

Offline VikingOfSixth

• Salutes: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2013, 04:31:35 pm »
I am starting to fall in love with the Junker again but need some tips on handling pyra's (may their captains burn in a special hell). They always seem to have the upper hand in a close range punch out and though I have been able to drop them with wonderful engi's and gunners working the ship that is less likely to happen with a skilled Pyra pilot.

They have the speed, the maneuverability, and an equal match or typically one gun more in firepower. I seem to fair average with most other ships but pyra's are absolutely frustrating since they all seem to fight the same ( the gatling/flak combo with the attempt to circle your ship in close combat while ripping apart the hull). Is there any advantage to the Junker besides being able to take more hits and hoping to drop the other bastard with superior gun play in this sort of fight?

Offline Queso

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 126
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2013, 10:29:13 pm »
Junker v. Pyramidion is a hopeless fight. It's a sad state of affairs.

Offline Pickle

• [AeBr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2013, 04:44:28 am »
Tar barrel helps against a Pyra, he really wants to get close into your stern blind-spot.  If you can get him into your arcs, it's not easy to take out both forward guns on a Pyra but a good gunner can do it with heavy clip on a gatling.  If your Junker is set-up for tanking (dual flaks on lower mounts, dual gatlings on upper) you can deal quite a bit of damage back.  But if the Pyra knows what he's doing and has you in a trifecta with a pure brawling build (so you have trained on you one gatling and two flaks), you're going to need teammate support.  But a trifecta has a disadvantage - there's no one fixing if you're able to do some damage back.

What the mine launcher will do for the Junker remains to be seen.

Offline Captain Smollett

• Salutes: 122
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2013, 05:17:39 pm »
I have to respectfully disagree about the tar barrel on the junker being effective against a Pyra.  For someone who flies the Pyra a good bit, I must say my general strategy against a Junker is to simply shoot it.  I don't care much about what side I'm on, the Junker arc is too large to make it worth manuevering about and in a 1v1 fight, I can usually just go shot for shot and out tank it.

Offline Commodore Phoenix

• Salutes: 12
    • [CCor]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2013, 01:51:08 pm »
Some games are going to be set up but I would like to know in advance any dates which are preferred in the next 3 weeks so as we can get a few teams together and play a couple of good games