Author Topic: Balance Concerns & Questions 1.1.4  (Read 77398 times)

Offline Machiavelliest

• Salutes: 35
    • View Profile
Re: Balance Concerns & Questions 1.1.4
« Reply #90 on: April 15, 2013, 11:06:44 pm »
After tailing a spire for several minutes (yes, minutes) multiple times in a squid, each time with constant flame/light carronade fire, taking no fire, it seemed to me that with even a moderately competent engineer, a ship can defeat the flamethrower.

This may not be a deep-in-the-numbers solution, but destroying a component currently douses the fire.  Perhaps the fire should continue through to the hull after the armor is destroyed, rather than being extinguished?  This would put a little more damage on the hull, and make balloon attacks more dangerous, since to effectively combat ground collision damage you would have to extinguish the fire and repair the armor, rather than letting the sequential armor failures extinguish the fire for you.

Offline RaptorSystems

• Salutes: 6
    • [BFS]
    • View Profile
    • Fab Lab Adelaide
« Reply #91 on: April 16, 2013, 07:51:37 pm »
I may be a bit late to the debate, but I personally don't like my crew taking Chem Spray and buff hammer because it puts a glow on your components. This glow is sometimes visible through cloud cover and makes your ship more vulnerable to "blind fire". Like wise I love it when an enemy ship has glowing components because it makes shooting them through clouds easier.

Yeah, I've noticed this too. However the flame-thrower is a short range weapon so if your engineers are using chem-spray, chances are the enemy can already see you and are flaming you, irrelevant of glow.

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #92 on: April 17, 2013, 12:07:03 pm »
Flame throwers aren't the only weapon that can cause fires. The Banshee, Artemis, Flack, and Hwacha all have a percentage chance of lighting a fire. There are times where I have asked my Hwach gunner to spray the clouds to find a target. We may only get one or two hits, but if a few seconds later we see a blue dot in the cloud my gunner knows exactly where to shoot the next volley. Also some engineers think it is a good idea to prespray components before going into combat so they won't catch fire. However this can ruin a stealth approach.

Chem spray is a fine item, but it is not the be all end all of fire control. Captains and engineers should be aware of the risks. Especially captains since it is their job to be aware of the over all situation.

Offline awkm

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 77
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
    • Notes for Next Century—n4n100
« Reply #93 on: April 30, 2013, 02:25:45 pm »
Topic has been locked, new threads started.

GUNS Balance Questions and Concerns v1.2
https://gunsoficarus.com/community/forum/index.php/topic,771.0.html

SHIPS Balance Questions and Concerns v1.2
https://gunsoficarus.com/community/forum/index.php/topic,772.0.html

MAPS Balance Questions and Concerns v1.2
https://gunsoficarus.com/community/forum/index.php/topic,773.0.html