Author Topic: Future of mapvoting  (Read 8591 times)

Offline Darkhill

• Salutes: 1
    • View Profile
Future of mapvoting
« on: May 14, 2013, 05:22:43 pm »
Thanks to the huge amount of new players coming in and almost crashing the servers, map voting was turned off. It has however been said that it'll return soon.
Ive been thinking recently, having played without map voting for a few days: Do I want it to come back?

No. Not really. (I'll elaborate below.)

Guns of Icarus has succeeded in one thing quite well for a game of its type, that being the fact that the maps have a large impact to the feel and gameplay of the match. This is a great thing. However, combined with mapvoting it does create a strange dynamic. For example, me and my crew have taken a liking to a "Sniper" type galleon, with a mercury and 2 flak cannons on the left side. I create a game and choose the desert map, which gives good opportunity to use said longdistance guns. When the match ends, the map is suddenly changed into a foggy, maze like canyon where speed and manoverability are the key, and my current setup is at a distinct disadvantage.

Isn't it a bit silly, that if we wish to continue using our loadout effectively we need to leave a game I created just one match ago? Or worse yet, the gamemode changes into something we don't like, like resource race for example.

I do understand the perks of mapvoting however. It allows for the map to be changed without everyone leaving the lobby and rejoining and much more importantly, in games that have small playerbases, it ensures that the game doesn't devolve into just a couple servers running the 2 most popular maps, instead making sure other gamemodes/maps are played aswell. (You could also argue that mapvoting forces one to adapt to different maps, but one refusing to do so generally would just leave and find another server anyways.)

However, since the playerbase has more than doubled since the voting was taken out as a emergency procedure, I urge the devs to consider if voting is still necessary to uphold gameplay variety. (My belief is that it probably doesn't need to.)

So my suggestion is, that before you put voting back, implement a way that it can be toggled on or off during game creation. Preferably in a way that shows on the game list. Which would also get rid of the sillyness of joining a game in hopes of a certain map (the one on the list), only to have it voted off immidiately after you get into the lobby.

TL:DR: Yo Devs, I dig yo maps. It'd be swanky if they didn't keep votin ma favorit' out of da games I host. Put a toggle on that shizz. Peace.

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
Re: Future of mapvoting
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2013, 05:59:59 pm »
I don't mind the server being linked to a map. If I get tired of a map I can switch servers. Back when games were more sparse and I counted my self lucky to get on a server with a good crew, I would be far less caviler about abandoning a good server. No it is not so much of an issue. I just hope the server lobbies stay as populated as they currently are.

Offline Moo

• Salutes: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2013, 06:08:10 pm »
If there's options to stick to one map or have the old voting system, how about a third option for completely random map? :D

Offline Darkhill

• Salutes: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2013, 06:16:17 pm »
If there's options to stick to one map or have the old voting system, how about a third option for completely random map? :D
Ofcourse the more options the better. My suggestion is just what I thought to be least taxing on the devs part, while solving the whole randomness problem.

Offline Captain Smollett

• Salutes: 122
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2013, 10:07:32 pm »

That's actually kind of how it used to be.

Offline GrimWinter

• Salutes: 2
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2013, 11:29:11 pm »
Well I say why have one when you can have both

Lobby makers should be able to choose whether they want map voting or to just use a random map, everyone can choose what they prefer that way.

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 144
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2013, 10:44:05 am »
Back when voting was a thing, it really wasn't too hard to keep the same map going unless it just didn't show up in the voting list. I'm not sure of the logic (if any) of what maps the vote system chose to let you vote from.

I'm of the opinion that learning to do all the maps instead of the same one forever is more favorable. It's also possible to take that long range build of yours into canyons and win. But beyond that, I realize not everyone plays like me.

I think the vote system was a nice addition and added a way to keep lobbies full and crew together. Back when there was no voting, you'd grow tired of the same map and switch lobbies, and prayed your crew made it on the same boat. It gave you the way to vote for something new, or vote for the same map again. I like each map in different ways, and really can't remember leaving a nicely populated lobby with friends just because the map wasn't what I voted for.

Offline Clara Skyborn

• Salutes: 48
    • [LFP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2013, 03:51:46 pm »
Map vote always has the last played map as one of the options, so you can keep on playing the same one if everyone's into it. If it doesn't offer the same map again, that's a bug (goodness knows map vote has been bugged plenty).

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 144
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2013, 09:52:34 am »
Map vote always has the last played map as one of the options, so you can keep on playing the same one if everyone's into it. If it doesn't offer the same map again, that's a bug (goodness knows map vote has been bugged plenty).

I'm fairly certain it did. I just always assume I've forgotten or remembered wrong. My memory is terrible sometimes...

Offline Coldcurse

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 164
    • [TFD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2013, 10:21:33 am »
why not combining all the maps together and make it an open world game?

Offline Skrimskraw

• Salutes: 160
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2013, 10:38:18 am »
I just want my 30 second preparation time back, so I don't get 5 second forced into games :p

Offline Deano

• Salutes: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2013, 10:48:42 am »
I don't mind the server being linked to a map. If I get tired of a map I can switch servers. Back when games were more sparse and I counted my self lucky to get on a server with a good crew, I would be far less caviler about abandoning a good server. No it is not so much of an issue. I just hope the server lobbies stay as populated as they currently are.
Yep, I completely agree!

Offline dragonmere

• Salutes: 45
    • [COx]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2013, 11:24:16 am »
As much as I enjoy Canyon Ambush only servers, I find it somewhat draining to have to do the same map over and over, or try to find another room.  Keeping a room with one map going is hard enough, but I think this is somewhat compounded by the difficulty in finding willing opponents amongst the new players, rather than the familiar names.

Maybe we could benefit from "Experienced" rooms, like the new player rooms, except explicitly without excluding new players. Just a little flag or indicator on the server to let everyone know it's about to go down dirty.

I understand the server situation, but I must say I'm eagerly awaiting the return of map voting. Just my opinion, of course.