Author Topic: Requesting no auto-center option, with a key to auto-center the wheel  (Read 9518 times)

Offline lyravega

• Salutes: 1
    • View Profile
Anyone played Euro Truck Simulator here?

Anyway, there is a control scheme in that game which gets rid of the auto-centering. I think the same thing could be useful in this game; I don't like when I press a key, it goes all the way down, I'd love to make just corrections, and a button to auto-center immediately.

Offline Moo

• Salutes: 15
    • View Profile
That would make it easier to do slower turns without having to keep pressing the key (I imagine a controller is better for this too), and adds an interesting possibility that I had been waiting for a good place to mention... Currently, you can set the throttle and leave the helm and it'll stay as you set it, but the same can't be said for the auto-centering wheel... If it didn't automatically change, the captain could set it to an angle and leave the helm to do something else, and the angle would persist. Maybe this would be too "good" though?

Offline lyravega

• View Profile
Leaving can auto-center. Or not. I am really not interested in adjusting a direction and leaving the helm to do something else.

But I'm sick of having to press left/right and fully power left/right when I need to make small adjustments, even the minimal turns causing my gunners to miss horribly due to either a network bug of a poorly implemented feature. With this, at least my gunners can compensate with ease, without missing the target due to that bug/feature.

Offline GrimWinter

• Salutes: 2
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
That would make it easier to do slower turns without having to keep pressing the key (I imagine a controller is better for this too), and adds an interesting possibility that I had been waiting for a good place to mention... Currently, you can set the throttle and leave the helm and it'll stay as you set it, but the same can't be said for the auto-centering wheel... If it didn't automatically change, the captain could set it to an angle and leave the helm to do something else, and the angle would persist. Maybe this would be too "good" though?
Honestly I'd say if people were to pull off doing that in an effective way then power to them. Doesn't sound like something that would be too abused to me

Offline Audie Murphy

• Salutes: 5
    • [TFD]
    • View Profile
Also, when you steer, you're using a rudder, and if you were to let go of the wheel, the force of the air passing by the rudder would push it back to center, probably violently.

So from realism stand point, it would make no sense for the wheel to stay where you left it after you've left the helm.

but while you're still actively piloting a ship, yeah, that might make a lot of sense.

Offline JaegerDelta

• Salutes: 16
    • [2620]
    • View Profile
Also, when you steer, you're using a rudder, and if you were to let go of the wheel, the force of the air passing by the rudder would push it back to center, probably violently.

So from realism stand point, it would make no sense for the wheel to stay where you left it after you've left the helm.

but while you're still actively piloting a ship, yeah, that might make a lot of sense.

well actually the rudder is not really a rudder it is the differential power of the two steering engines that control turning.  However, i am in favor of the current mechanism for steering. It is just more familiar to people and is part of what keeps the game accessible. if you want to go left you press left, when you want to stop going left you stop pressing left. its what anybody who has played any PC game before will be used to.  might not be the most realistic or allow the most advanced maneuvers but I just dont see the problem with that.

Offline lyravega

• View Profile

Exactly what's on my mind.

Offline knoxi

• Salutes: 4
    • [DvG]
    • View Profile
... how bout a nice simple button press to lock the wheel in place? Add in an animated lever on the wheel and a green locked wheel icon over the helm as per the damage indicators and no one would ever know it was an after thought.

Any small additions to expand the role gameplay and learning curve are probably going to be good imo and potentially increase longevity.

Offline Audie Murphy

• Salutes: 5
    • [TFD]
    • View Profile
Knoxi got it right. Spot on.

It'll also increase the skill cap at the same time as it evens out the learning curve. Win-win.